View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 PM

Jakyat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how do i get my servo to hold neutral positionwith full force

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
The servo cannot hold center because it does not have a center point like a regular servo. It does not have a pot in it for position so it has no idea of what center is. For a winch to work right you need a mechanical advantage and you can achieve this in a couple ways.

1 a mechanical brake.

2 gear reduction such as a worm gear set up.

3 A mounted block and pulley set up so the direct pull is on the block and pulleys and not directly on the winch. This will also increase your pulling power as well.

Fhhhstix, i've attached a couple pics of my winch module. Obviously disregard the little winch. As you can see, my set up does have a mechanical advantage. Not much but it does. 24tooth pinion on the two drive servos. 48 tooth "spur on each end of the drum. The servos mounted in underneith on eitherside. I had purchased 2 hitec HS-7950TH SERVOS. 486.5oz-in.
I used this same servo as a steer servo on my crawler, and when power was on, there was no way i could manually turn or steer the wheels by hand. Power off...could easily turn them. That is why I fealt they would work great for this application.