View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need ideas for suspension lift

John, interesting set-up you have there. I'd like to offer some constructive criticism. I would really try to add some more bracing to your chassis. Especially to the long side plates you have bolted to the c-channel frame. Even something so simple as to run a piece of aluminum plate, or channel, at an angle, down from the main frame rails, to the extension plates you have the suspension bits bolted to would be a big help. You really need to tie those side plate extensions into the chassis rails better and sort of gusset them in, fore and aft, of the axles. Some cross members parallel with the axles, would also stiffen things up a bit, but I'd be mostly worried about the forces exerted on the plates, parallel to the chassis, when the wheels bind up and the torque will want to pull the plates forward or backward. The axles have a lot of leverage.

I think ideally I would build a whole new chassis, and cut it from aluminum sheet, making it a stiffer one piece ladder type chassis, but you could probably stiffen things up without doing that too.