RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 08-06-2024, 06:21 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chevy K30 U-haul Maxi-mover 1973-75

I have lived and worked all over the country and I have never seen a U-Haul horse trailer. Any idea where those photos were taken? For the record, I absolutely hate U-Haul trailers. The wiring in them is always a complete rats nest and never works right.
Old 08-06-2024, 11:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Zabco, i hadn't noticed them either, but i'm also not in horse country. i'll show my work
My phone won't show exif data on an image, so i don't know where it was taken. I found those trailer pics on Reddit, with a couple people saying not-fake, but old and very rarely used. Then while searching for more horse trailer info i found a total of 3 pics, all of the same trailer! (Fleet number 3666 SO 8133, which has a Georgia plate in a pic)

I mean is it weirder to go around taking pics of fleet vehicles to post on the internet, or weirder to paint your own outfit in a rental livery? Then several horse owner sites popped up mentioning 'renting a u-haul horse trailer' maybe it's a thing, could be the "All 'facial tissue' = Kleenex" thing, could be search engine optimization bs...

Well, i still liked the idea and thought that seemed plausible as close enough to real to make a toy fake one? So working off the rental company "seems to have run a few of those", and that the toy company "could have produced those with existing parts" was close enough for my destructive tendencies.

https://www.uhaul.com/FrequentlyAske...owing-Rentals/
Then since you asked, it looks like there are only 5 locations in California and New Mexico that have horse trailers available as of 2021?

Third pic

Don't worry instead of an inop rats nest of wiring, none these are even getting lights! Just some rhinestone reflectors.

Last edited by frizzen; 08-12-2024 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2024, 09:16 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

Tracking down where the actual horse trailers can be rented is awesome. I expect license plate and phone number of the branch on the finished trailer.
Old 08-12-2024, 12:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Haha, yeah Blender i spent some time on that one... i mostly hack up old toys and do weird car things to make me smile, i don't really do "exact replicas". I haven't even figured out what model each trailer is trying to replicate. If gets people to notice and smile, it's usually close enough.
I may be neurodivergent , but not quite THAT flavor.

Well, how about we fake something they DO commonly rent?

It should get the shorter Uhaul tires once the chevy is mounted up on WPLs

Trashing a Boat Trailer would probably have been the better way to go for a car-dolly since it was production, and has the baby fenders. I haven't seen any of those go cheap, and I had a frame offcut from this rc and a fire ladder truck axle

Uh, ok, but isn't there supposed to be "A Truck Build" going on?

Some carrier bearing crossmembers are printed, with bearings, some body tab clearances got hacked into frame

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadg...ong-wheelbases
These use the same bearings as the axles

Last edited by frizzen; 08-18-2024 at 09:19 AM.