RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Movie Optimus Prime build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 kenworth View Post
wow another optimus build..now there is 2 being done...what did i start now with the replicas....didn't think anyone else wanted to build this truck..oh well it will be interesting to see who else will decide to do this build too
Great minds think alike
Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

That looks really good! I love the door trim pieces you made. That's a very nice touch. How did you scribe the lines for the trim to fit into? It's a very clean job.

Now that you've chopped the hood, and you are busy cutting away, might I suggest you replace the front fenders with something a little more accurate? Slide them forward too? Just a suggestion. The truck is looking so good, I just think it's worth the extra effort to make Peterbilt fenders look right!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Green Horn

Location: Mount Evelyn/Lilydale Area, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3796
Kingcam2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Kingbob

Looking good so far, I am a Big transformers fan so I cant wait to see this build finished.

From Cameron.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
That looks really good! I love the door trim pieces you made. That's a very nice touch. How did you scribe the lines for the trim to fit into? It's a very clean job.

Now that you've chopped the hood, and you are busy cutting away, might I suggest you replace the front fenders with something a little more accurate? Slide them forward too? Just a suggestion. The truck is looking so good, I just think it's worth the extra effort to make Peterbilt fenders look right!
The lines were scribed with.. well... a scribing tool lol. Once the lines were drawn i just used the scriber against a steel ruler.

I have looked at the fenders, but the OP truck doesnt have standard Peterbilt fenders. The truck they built OP from didnt have any fenders at all, so i dont know where they come from, but the reshaped KH fenders actually are a close match:

Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 AM
Wannabe

As far as i've been able to discover, this is the truck that Prime was built from.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Bob, you're right. The Transformers movie truck is running aftermarket Peterbilt fiberglass fenders, and I think they are made by WTI. Though they are different from the stock Peterbilt fenders, they do still have the smaller innder fender radius, like the stock fenders do. Here is a link you can check out!

http://www.wti-fenders.com/classicff-pb379.htm
Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Wannabe

Well i'll be damned, i never noticed the inner radius. It gets hidden in most photos by the headlights, cant see the change in radius. Had to look might close to see it.

The smaller radius doesnt appear at the back though, so must only be a wedge.

Hard to see because i had to blow it up, but you can just make out the wedge shape here.

I might be able to get away with just cutting out a small wedge on the inside of the fender. Shouldnt need to actually remove the fender completely.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Sorry to make more work for you, Bob! The truck just looks so nice, and you've been pretty thorough with everything else, I just had to bring up the front fenders!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Wannabe

Nah i'm happy to have a detail pointed out to me! Added it to the very long list.
Should be a simple enough job anyway. Saw out a wedge, sand round the edge, build up some styrene.
Interestingly, looking at WTI's site, the rear fenders, and rear light buckets look like they came from there as well.

I make a lot of military models, so am well used to looking for details to model a particular subject. I've got a Tamiya 1/16 Tiger 1 on the go as well, and have got that narrowed down to a May 1943 build. There are lists of things that were changed month by month on the real thing, so making a specific tank can get ludicrously detailed. Even things like using a towing shackle made from square profile bar instead of round. A detail that probably not a single person would notice.

Pretty sure i'm not OCD :P
Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

Sweet build kingbob! You really are getting every detail perfect!

In the words of Optimus Prime: "We are here. We are waiting... Plz post pics!" Just kidding, but I can't wait to see this rig done!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Wannabe

Chop chop!

Just had a first coat of primer to pick out what needs puttying up still. After that, some sanding to neaten it out, and good to go!

And pretty much finished the light buckets on the rear fenders. Ready for a final smooth sanding before painting.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 AM

diesel950 is on a distinguished road

looking good!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 AM
Journeyman

plow jockey is on a distinguished road

Nice work! Cant wait for more updates!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Green Horn

rcman is on a distinguished road

man what a great job! I sure wish I could do styrene work like that. love the tubing you installed for the doors and the polished rims really are the bling bling! did you use a dremel to polish them?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Wannabe

Just noticed i missed a few questions, so here we go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Love the maker lights, just above the bumper! I've always wanted to try that, but I could never find LEDs small enough. That looks really awesome!
Try using surface mount LEDs. Cost me about $2.60 for 10. Bit harder to work with because of their size, but great for tight spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays24 View Post
Even after all of the mishaps, O.P. is turning out looking really gooooooood. How are you going to mount the door trim? Great job buddy.
Big John
I'll be glueing it into the groove with CA. Which will be applied VERY sparingly, with a needle applicator. Dont want to wreck the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhog View Post
Very nice Did the liquid mask not work on the abs body? i was thinking about trying that on my next paint job
Theres a whole story with the liquid mask. Short version, i borrowed it from a friend who had thinned it for spraying with an airbrush but didnt tell me. Whatever the thinner was wrecked the paint it was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtrucking104customs View Post
what would you charge if I ordered some of the marker lights? also was that the stock grille you did?
Ha, they're not that good! Infact i plan to make a 3rd set as i'm not totally happy with those. All i used was a pinvise and small drill bits, and some small files. No machining, done by hand.
The grill is an aluminium one by Brian in PA from this very forum. Few hours sanding and polishing to get it looking bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcman View Post
man what a great job! I sure wish I could do styrene work like that. love the tubing you installed for the doors and the polished rims really are the bling bling! did you use a dremel to polish them?
Yup, the wheels were polished by dremel, and quite a few polishing bits! Stripped the anodising first, then cleaned in an acid bath, then dremelled with aluminium polish. The outer edge of the rims got a light sanding as well to remove some machining marks from when they were made.
Probably took a couple of hours per wheel. I only polished the outside face of the outer rear wheels. Left the inner wheels with the anodised silver finish.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 AM
Wannabe

Dont suppose anyone has parts N7 and N8 from a Knight Hauler spare? Saving me buying a whole N sprue.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Fantastic job, I have a few questions to ask. How did you reattached the front fenders so neatly, and strong enough not to brake off,when bumpt and what kind of yellow putty is it?
Thanks
Jack
Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain Jack View Post
Fantastic job, I have a few questions to ask. How did you reattached the front fenders so neatly, and strong enough not to brake off,when bumpt and what kind of yellow putty is it?
Thanks
Jack
I didnt actually cut the fenders off completely. I only cut out a wedge to a point where a molded groove is at the rear, so they were still partially attached anyway. Then i added a thin 1mm thick strip of styrene underneath the fender and under the hood side, and glued in some styrene sheet to connect it all. Pretty solid, not going to come off with a knock.

I use Tamiyas Polyester putty. Love the stuff. It has a hardener, so i mix up a small bit at a time, creamy smooth consistency, no grain at all, and hardens to a point it can be cut/sanded in an hour or so.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Journeyman

MACK Daddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice attention to detail

Alfy
Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

That's very clever, thank you for explaining it.
Jack