RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Clubs/Groups and Events > Central Plains Mini Truckers Club

Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road
Default Clubhouse?

I for one am tired of seeing all these badass European dudes that have wicked "train-layout-quality" facilities. Their big kid sandbox time is just exponentially greater than our shows/GTGs. No offense to our shows, but they just don't compare.

Solution? A permanent facility we can build upon and grow into. If it's a COOP or Club setup, I'd like to use this thread to start discussion about the possibility of making this a reality.

Obviously location and dollar amount are the biggest key factors.

Points of consideration:
-Cost (Club Dues or Buy-in COOP)
-Facility rental/lease + Utilities
-Building security to leave items
-Frequency of Get Togethers
-Material Cost
-Positions of Leadership (President, VP, Treasurer, etc.)
-Number of members

I have experience running a 100+ member strong RC Rock Crawling Club in the past so I have an idea of what kind of time/organization it takes to do something like this.

I know many of you are extremely busy and have families that conflict with fun time so I don't take any offense to being told this is a dumb idea that can't happen. Maybe I'm just really hardcore about this stuff but I can see myself grabbing my cot and setting up for an all weekend session once a month. Again I don't have any kids or obligations to stay home every weekend so I have a different perspective.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Clubhouse?

I'd be interested in looking into it! If I had the money me and my truck would be on a plane to Denmark to go visit that awesome set up they have! I love this hobby and can't wait to expand My collection as I sell my flying RC collection. even having 2 kids I think it would be a fun thing to do, plus I'll put them to work... Lol as they get older and get their own trucks they could have fun too. I think it's a great idea!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Journeyman

My thought for location is Indy. Simply because it's a centralized location for the vast majority of us. I know for some of the Midwest guys that's a **** of a drive so your input is certainly needed.

I've come close a couple times to just hopping on a plane to Germany. It's eventually going to happen but I always seem to find my way into a new job before going.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Green Horn

YoungGunz is on a distinguished road

I've put a fair amount of thought into this as well..... after I put my self through college I have thought about bringing up the same idea but funds are limited until I'm done with school. I'm always a bit envious of the guys across the pond with those club houses. Some of them look like morton buildings and could be put on someones land that was into this. Could end up being cheaper in the long run instead of renting or leasing. Draw backs of leasing and renting would be having a land lord that has to approve of what we are doing and we couldn't do whatever we want, there would be rules that we would have to follow.

And if we did get enough members, a "membership" might not be as expensive or we could have a nicer club house or more benefits.

Just my 2 cents

J.D.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I'm with you, Nate. Those truck layouts over in Europe are absolutely killer! I would love to see something like that come states side. It would really be no different then a model railroading club. Those guys pay dues, put in time to set up and build the layout, bring their models, and have a great time. There are public visiting days, and it would be an incredible way to promote the hobby and make it grow.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Green Horn

heavy_duty is on a distinguished road

I dig the idea.I think a permanent layout would be awesome.I would definitely be in on it.I would gladly pay dues and make a trip at least once a month to run and perform maintenance on the facility.let's do it.

Ed
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road

I like the idea as well,the only thing i see might be the guys who cant make the tripp as often as others how do charge for that?Do you still have a buy in or membership or charge a weekend deal.the other issue is everybody is so spread out ,where in EU there is alot of members so close together.Whatever the situation is if it is something that is reasonable i am in
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

I like the idea too. Indy is a good thought on location, to keep it in a more rural area would keep the rental/lease cost down. Old (small) warehouse or similar location, nice to have room in the lot for rv's or campers for the overnighters.

Ben
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

Well I have thought about this also and Travis and I touched on this.
What are your thoughts on Minnesota ???
I have a 105 x 50 shed that I rent half out to my snowmobile club and would be willing to use the other half for this.If this is a option someone let me know I would be happy to work out something.

I have 40 acres to play on and there is a super 8 motel across the street

RIP FREDDYGEARDRIVE
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM

siuvinson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudd View Post
Well I have thought about this also and Travis and I touched on this.
What are your thoughts on Minnesota ???
I have a 105 x 50 shed that I rent half out to my snowmobile club and would be willing to use the other half for this.If this is a option someone let me know I would be happy to work out something.

I have 40 acres to play on and there is a super 8 motel across the street
While I don't think many will bite on this idea - I LOVE IT!

We've got a family lake cabin 10 miles north of lake mille lacs...so doing this would just add another incentive to make the 8 hour drive from chicago
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

This is a great Idea and Ed and I have talked it over many times. But to have it in Indy is too far away for guys like me and a few others because just to go to indy alone for the show costs way to much plus a 12hr drive that is why Ed and I started doing a get together in his shop and even that is a long drive for it to be worth it to me it would need to be in that 6hr area from me. Spuds already got a building and room so you cut some cost right off the bat.

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Journeyman

Good to know. That's a 10 hour drive for me. So If I left work on a Friday at 5 that gets me there @ 3am. So Saturday all day then Sunday home. 20 hours of driving for 10 hoursish of play.

Certainly takes care of much of the cost factor and I'm sure a few of us could carpool up. With use of my small trailer we can get everything transported as needed and still have passenger room.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

It's hard to find a central spot to make every one happy.
It would be nice to have two spots kinda on both ends and do a switch from year to year
I know it's not possible but it would be more fair

I would like to discuss this more and get someone to spearhead this I am open to any spot that works for everyone. Some ideas of what type of lay out everyone is thinking of I'm willing to help in anyway I can

RIP FREDDYGEARDRIVE
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

I think this is a great idea. It would be nice to have a spot to put down roots and grow a nice facility. Spuds spot sounds ideal, big, lots of room for parking/camping and a motel across the street. It is a far trip though to spend a weekend for me. I'm with Paul 6 hours is about max one way.
Someone could take this a step farther and maybe partner with a hobby shop to be a parts supplier or become a dealer and have a spot.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 AM

siuvinson is on a distinguished road

PFB - the carpool idea is a good one! The convoy could start with you (or anyone south of you) and gradually add on people and more cars/trucks as we head north!

I honestly have no idea how much of a commitment I could make to this, but for the sake of the hobby I'd sure like to see something get established. Too many changes in my life right now so I would be limited only a trip or 2 per year at best...but like I said, if I'm up there for vacation I would LOVE to spend a day away from the lake playing in the dirt, as its not very far from our cabin. Of course, that means I'll have to bring more to the table that just a wheeled skid...I better get busy!!

If things start to get off the ground on this little idea, I'm going to be driving up that way the first weekend in June (memorial service for my Grandfather at the lake). On the off chance that anything needs to be dropped off at Spudd's place (parts/materials/etc donated to the clubhouse), I'd be happy to take them up! Just get whatever it is to me and I'll take it from there.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

I like the carpool idea. And it makes sense. Would be cheaper for people too splitting the gas there and back. Almost like when I take fishing trips to Canada 6 of us hop in a mini van with a trailer.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I'm digging the Minnesota idea. From the sounds of things, it would almost be ideal. You've got site security covered because Spudd actually lives there, and there is lodging close by. It goes a long way when you've got a guy offering up a site for a trucking layout, and he's into the hobby himself.

It's going to be really hard deciding on a single location, because someone will always end up driving farther. There are a ton of guys in Indiana, but if this is for the Central Plains guys, why wouldn't you settle on a site a little more centered between all the members. Indy is a quite a hike, for many. Wisconsin, Minnesota, or maybe Illinois would be a better choice? Maybe even Iowa?

But then again, beggers can't be choosers! If you have a member willing to offer up a spot, it might just make sense to run with the idea!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Wannabe

trilliwilli is on a distinguished road

Intresting to read you call us Badass.

There are a lot of permanent courses in Germany and Austria, but most of them are outdoor. So riding in the summer and only when it is dry.

If you see indoor pictures of large courses with sand, buildings and everything around it, it's most of the time a 2 or 3 day event that's held once a year.

Especially in Germany, they have a habbit of building huge courses with several truckloads of sand or soil. Even large watertanks are build with EPDM foils.

Isn't it an idea to organise such an event instead of building a fixed course?

To give you an idea, here are some pictures of the last Intermodellbau in Dortmund.

http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=lCPeKCBn

This was a 4 day event, and afterwords everything was cleaned up.
Usually organised in large event centers, there are also traders and lots of other scales and modelbuilding disciplines, so it's only logical that an course is large, it attracks lots of people that also pay entry fees to get in.

For an example of fixed courses, check these sites for inspiration:

Moosbeuren, South Germany
http://indoor-parcours-sueddeutschla.../vom-parcours/

Glashaus, in an old glas wharehouse
http://www.rc-glashaus.de/lkw-1.html

Modellstadt Bremerhaven
http://www.modellstadt-bremerhaven.d...odellstadt.php

I have never been to one of these fixed courses, the events I visit are usually truckshows or fancy fairs where one of the Dutch clubs is hired to give a demo. I placed several photoshoots of these events and placed them in the international section.

They use mobile courses, most of the time made from hardboard, square pieces of 1x1 meter or 1,2x1,2 meter, painted with roads on them. They lay them out in a predetermined setup, and have some foldable/detachable buildings to place on.

I personally think this is the second best to a fixed course, with the advance of flexibility to lay them out where ever you want.

The distances are a lot bigger fot you guys, and I am amazed by the fact that you want to drive for up to 10 hours just for a little bit of fun.

Perhaps a mobile course is the way to go.

And if you plan the dimensions and roads on drawings, everybody can make seperatly from each other a few road sections.

This all just to give you some ideas.

Good luck with the decisions.

Last edited by trilliwilli; 05-02-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

The best or cheapest way to have an indoor layout is know of a local hobby shop that a has a indoor racetrack or crawl area that would accommodate trucks or earthmovers, or by attending a already established show such as Indy without real dirt or The Cabin Fever Expo that I have started where the sky's the limit there with space and accommodations and move all the materials in and out like Trilliwilli has posted.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

there is always Florida
we have three acres that is just sitting here with a water well and electric
outside of gainesville florida
about half trees and half grass field
need to think about more than one spot need one in the north and east ,the south and the west and can have a meet at each one once or twice a year with the main club members dues ,helping out all of them and each one having it own members dues used at their place
this way each would be able to go to at least one main meet each year and others more