RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 PM

mxman is on a distinguished road
Default Scratching my head with this Taiyo RC

I know, I know... It's a toy.

Yup, you are in reason. But, HE is the REASON why I loved and love RC vehicles.

I've been always a heavy equipment guy. Been taking pictures of them for ages and also got my driving license as well.

Let me explain...

My very first RC car was a 1989 Taiyo Porsche 959 that drifted over and over in my parents living room. Not so long, I found it in a box, while cleaning up my dad's garage and wondered if he could still run.

I set some bateries inside, but the engine is sooo slow and doesn't move at all. I remembered then, that the last time I saw it running, some wire burned. It is also missing the cover.

Started googling and all of a sudden went across a BRAND NEW Taiyo Porsche 959, that was never used, in Greece!! Made an offer for 70 bucks plus shipment, and I got it 10 days later.

Imagine my feeling. Opening brand new RC that I used to enjoy 24 years ago. Almost cried. But! I knew he was not in good shape. The seller said had some problems with the frequency, and for that reason, he doesn't run. Even though its in MINT CONDITION.

Remembering my old one, which is right now in Catalunya, that one was working at 27mhz, while this one is at 40mhz. If you touch the antenas, he "reacts" but there is no way it would run.

A friend of mine told me the best would be to set some modern electronics from a MiniZ that he has run. But before doing that. I'd like that at least one of them works, like originally did.

10592273_10152634225525210_137882014_n.jpg

10542830_10152634285620210_1154707049_n.jpg

10620867_10152634238015210_171847342_n.jpg

10706606_10152634234910210_172821093_n.jpg

My questions are:

I'm unable to see what could be wrong on those electronics. Any recommendation?

Do you think would be worth a try to switch the electronics, for modern ones?

If everything in the car is fine, would be possible to set a radio at 40mhz and try to make him run?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scratching my head with this Taiyo RC

i am by no means an expert but what i do know is that the toy frequencies are very unreliable and can and will make the r/c car act up in ways that it could be uncontrollable .my suggestion is if you value the car and want to run it ,i would recommend changing the electronics to the more modern one with the 2.4 ghz radio system .one thing you don't want to have happen is to be out somewhere running the car and experience interference and have the car take off uncontrollably and smash into something or someone.the value of the car is priceless to you and from the sounds of it you have no plans to sell it so i would change the electronics that way you have piece of mind and feel somewhat safe with it (nothing is 100%foolproof) the only time when swapping out something would be an issue is the drivetrain.if you were going to put a hobby grade powerful motor in it you would have to be careful if you are going to use the original drivetrain .you need to get a motor that the drivetrain can handle .i have a kyosho vintage 1966 427 shelby cobra and i was going to put a brushless system in it using the original axles and such and was told that the motor would be too powerful for the drivetrian and since the parts for it are no longer availible to fix my car i decided not to do it.i do have a batmobile that i put a modern radio and receiver with digital steering but kept the drivetrain (well my hobby guy did it for me)..sorry for the long explanation hope this helps you decide ...good luck