RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 01-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Wannabe

bigpipespete is on a distinguished road
Default Lipo bag

Does anyone know what lipo safety bag is best , I'm wanting a good size one for charging.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 PM

Yard Toad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lipo bag

I was also looking for one and found this. Search lipo charging bunker. This is the route I went, and when not charging I use it for storage.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road

http://www.bat-safe.com/web/
I had Lipo bags for storing and charging my batteries until I had one blow on me and seen what it does first hand. Now I use the bat safe box no flames going out the sides no harmful fumes. By far the best thing to use.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Green Horn

rc13 is on a distinguished road

I personally have about 8 lipo charging bags. They are all in a drawer. I think I will eventually just throw them away. I never use them. They are trash to me.
Reason: Pointless!!!
I had a battery catch fire in a charging bag about 5 years ago. It burned through the bag immediately. My guess, it decreased the flame exposure out of the bag by 1 second.
I was charging the battery on the main level of my house as I was in the basement... These bags have no difference from the bags out on the market now... Could of burned my entire house down. Good thing I have adequate smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. I put it out, but had about 7K in damage...
So, since then, I will only charge batteries when I am directly by the charger. If I have to go do something, I shut it off, unplug the batteries, and unplug the charger. Its a hassle, but it is required for safety and peace of mind. I suggest the same for all of you.
I do like this above suggested charging box. I looked over the manual on the link briefly. I did not see if you could charge multiple batteries. I use the X4, so I charge 4 at a time.
Also, I store all of my batteries in military Ammo boxes. Unless someone has a new/better suggestion.

Last edited by rc13; 01-10-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what the manufacture reccomends with the bat safe box but I charge 2 batteries at a time with my i charger duo. The ammo box way a person needs to be careful as if you have the lid latched your basically made a bomb if the lipo explodes. I have 2 boxes so far and need to buy another. They seem to be well made. I hope they never have to do there job but if they do I know it won't burn my garage or house down.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

30 cal or 50 cal ammo can .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

30 cal or 50 cal ammo can or anywhere there is no flammable material .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efroeh View Post
I'm not sure what the manufacture reccomends with the bat safe box but I charge 2 batteries at a time with my i charger duo. The ammo box way a person needs to be careful as if you have the lid latched your basically made a bomb if the lipo explodes. I have 2 boxes so far and need to buy another. They seem to be well made. I hope they never have to do there job but if they do I know it won't burn my garage or house down.
Yes lid unlatched on the ammo boxes for storage. This will help for venting/pressure. As long as the batteries are in good shape, the batteries are in a storage mode, they cannot short out on the metal ammo box, and the lid is loose, I feel comfortable using the ammo boxes. But not 100% comfortable, especially because I had a fire.
So, we know most of us do not place our lipo batteries in storage mode when we are done using them. I do not either. I will place some of the batteries in the ammo boxes with a full charge or partial charge. Not to get a ton of opinions, because this topic could go on and on. But if there is a better solution for storing lipo batteries other than what is currently being done, let me know. I have seen many ways, watched many test videos, and I have read many opinions. So I maybe there isn't a perfect solution. Maybe I should just go back to NiMH.. LOL, no way....
Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Rc13 like you said, when I charge my lipos I'm always nearby to monitor for heat and what the voltage per each cell is saying on the LED screen. One thing that I always do and is actually good for longevity of the cells is to keep them in storage mode (3.80v per cell).
I live in an apartment so imagine the extra anxiety I go thru instead of burning up just the garage. I may have to rethink all this as this is a good wake up call.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Nicest looking setup i've seen is a bunker using a 30 or 50 cal ammo can with the gasket removed, hole drilled and deburred for charge wire, and ziplock bags of sand to help smother fire.

But i still mostly just run nimh.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road

Everyone, if you have a charger or meter that has the resistance on it. The resistance of a battery normally that is over 12 ohms of resistance per cell can have the chance to burn, but I use two Bat boxes and when I am charging more batteries batteries, which I do very Often I will double up on the bags over each battery, probably not as safe but, better than nothin. When they go off they are hot, really no way to extinguish the flame fast enough, so you just have to wait for them to stop burning then deal with the aftermath.

David
Old 01-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road

I also will use the Ammo box, but I worry that it may get to hot below and around it, but still could be better than the bags.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftmys10 View Post
Rc13 like you said, when I charge my lipos I'm always nearby to monitor for heat and what the voltage per each cell is saying on the LED screen. One thing that I always do and is actually good for longevity of the cells is to keep them in storage mode (3.80v per cell).
I live in an apartment so imagine the extra anxiety I go thru instead of burning up just the garage. I may have to rethink all this as this is a good wake up call.
You said it.. "Anxiety" I have become very cautious because of the fire that I had. Anyone using lipos should always be concerned. If there was a product that would accommodate 100% safety for lipo battery storage, most of us would all buy it. I know I would... But there isn't anything like that. So, lipo users have come up with good solutions that work good for residential usage, but are not 100%. So, I will always look for more suggestions and better ways.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Wannabe

I have decided since my Premacon machines run on NIMH batteries I will run them in my rc4wd dozer too. No worries now
Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Green Horn

Hi, we got a little off tangent. Lipos can be a little scary. But yes NiMH are safer. But you get less run time and sometimes power. You have Premacon machines... Those are great machines!!!
Old 01-13-2018, 07:46 PM
Wannabe

Yes , I have the 944b and the 576L , they are beautiful machines.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Green Horn

Awesome... I love those precision models...