RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Green Horn

CustomRCmodels is on a distinguished road
Default Indy Truck Show 2011

Who is coming to the this years Indy truck show in Indianapolis ?

http://www.customrcmodels.com/Events2010/indy_2010_rc_truck_and_const.htm

Izzy ,
as far as I know from Ric , you are involved in organizing for this year ?
I understand that this year the different clubs , like Michigan and the East Coast Truckers
and the local guys are planning on supplying the needed materials to build the road ways and city since Ric is just bringing his shop-display ….

Maybe we could start here with listing who is gone bring what ,
so we can get a plan together …

I am assuming that Izzy is already been working on that ?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 AM

jjackso5 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Indy Truck Show 2011

Willy, I think you're correct that Izzy (Chris) is working on this, but I believe that Stepside (Rod) are co-chairing this to coordinate the event with the other clubs/groups. I'm sure that after the East Coast show next week we'll begin hearing more about the Indy Show and what the needs and plans are. I'm planning to be available for "set-up and tear-down", though I won't be able to confirm this 100% until late July. I am planning to be at the show Friday and Saturday for sure at the very least!

I'm hoping that Ric will be able to have his display and continue his support for this hobby as he has been doing for many years now.

What other vendors/suppliers may be potential supporters? I'm referring to those that provide custom parts and/or other R/C releated types of products for our trucks and equipment. Do they get an invitation? How about the guys that are "vendors" here on the forum, how may of you are going to be able to come and what/how much area, if any, do you need?

What types of items do we need for the Event? How many of each type of unit/system do we need or have room for? Do we have the layouts from previous years? Or a scale drawing of the room with dimensions so we can do a layout? I think this a starting point list for the items, and I'm sure there are more, that we need to be thinking about for the show.

1. Bridge(s):
2. Quarry(s) also rubber and how much:
3. Conveyors?
4. Garage(s):
5. Warehouse (s):
6. Fuel Station(s):
7. Truck Stop Parking/trailer storage yard(s):
8. Rail Yard/track:
9. Road material? How much?
10. Vendor (Ric) in the main area, where and how much?
11. Aisleways: how wide, where, spectator area, etc.
12. Pit Pass/area, how many tables, power?
13. Participant parking for thier vehicles (full size) and the unloading area to minimize the "carry distance" for our models.
14. indoor/outdoor carpeting?
15. Registration/Pursuer, who's collecting fund (money) from the participants for the "Pit-pass", etc.
16. Name Badges? These could be simple tags that we put our names on with marker, or something more permanate if we know who's coming. They could be printed with a holder. This could be something that the participant could keep and use at other event too. Maybe have their Forum handle, name, club affiliation, etc. Thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, I was just thinking out loud/print on what I thought would be areas for consideration for this show. I'm sure that I have missed many requirements, but hope this is a start. If we can list them and track them we'll make sure everything we need will be done and continue with this great show and its success.

Thank you,

Jim
Old 06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Jim,
I will try to answer a few of your questions.

1) Pit passes/ registration is handled by the event organisor. We pay them for the pass to be able to run our trucks.
2) Parking for our full sized vehicles is first come/ first served. Most try to unload- with some help- and then try and find a parking space.
3) We run on the hotels carpet except where we put down the "road".
4) How everything is laid out is totally up to the guys bringing the structures. This year we are going to be in a new much larger area than before so where things are and how it is sectioned off is going to be done on the fly. I think Ric is the only one who knows where he wants to be set up at. Since this is Ric's show, I do not know how other vendors would be welcomed. He is paying for rc side of things and should be his call.

Hope this helps a little!!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Lynn, thank you for the response. Yes I agree that this is Ric's show. I was thinking more of the suppliers/vendors that might augment what Ric provides, like radios, Horizon Hobby that's all. Also, how about the guys that are selling on the forum, they offer "additional/optional" items; or maybe they are more of the "swap shop type suppliers". But anyhow, I was just thinking out loud.

Still the question that Willy rasies has merit, who, what, and maybe where? So, who's brining what? Is there a back up, What are they bringing, and maybe you've answered it, but the layout, someone maybe Ric has as idea. I was only trying to offer some thought starters.

Thank you, I'll see you there as I said,

Jim
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road

Hey ... when is this and the starting time?

- Jeff
Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Hey ... when is this and the starting time?

- Jeff
Check out this link. Click Here

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road

Cool and thanks!

- Jeff
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Willy, Jim and Lynn - your all correct.

Here's what has been put together.

Space - we have the open room that is across the hallway from our typical ballroom. It is long but a nice depth. We are planning to have drivers walking area along the windows and work tables to the right ( the cubby thats hard for the public to see. The far left cubbyhole area will be for Ric.

Layout - Ric is bringing his big bridge and two 50gal barrels of rubber. The plan is to layout the bridge a little cross angle in the middle. The major pit area under the bridge. Most dozers etc here. Roadways running basically the length but cutting in and out to off shoot pits and other areas.
- other areas - work shops, pit stops, buildings, etc as what people bring. Along the stretch of the space allowing good viewing for the general public.
- no specific area for any particular club. Let's all intermingle to show a general group feel. There's plenty of space for us all.
- remember we are at a construction toy show - so let's keep the auxiliary and similar themes to a minimum.

Vendors - if you want specific vendor space - see the promoters and buy a room space. Were there to run a city and show what our hobby is about. If you want to sell out of your trunk - your decision and your neck with the promoters.

Set up of the city is starting around noon on Thursday
Tear down starts noon Sunday
- please plan for this schedule - it's a 2-1/2 day show! This gives us roughly 72 hours of continuous run time.

What to bring - whatever you want that fits the theme. If it's too left field we may ask to leave it packed up.
There is power outlets but bring power strips and extension coards.
Tables and chairs are generally provided. I will contact Ric about how to verify.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Backyard enginier

Page 2
East coast rod has agreed to buildings and parking lot but no bridge( huge bummer there)
Central plains has committed to primarily trucks

I am planning on blueshirts warehous dock and a minor gravel pit with conveyer set up.

Yet to be really figured out is roadways!
In the past we've used rics tar paper set up. But that likes to push and pull about. Smaller sections with lap joints help but only so much. We discussed about just tape lining roads but it's pretty cheesy.

Post your thoughts and ideas - remember - were setting up indoors in a 'fancy' hotel - so fresh dirt and those ideal concrete roadways are out - or are they?

Thanks izzy
Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Chris, there is a rolled rubber product that can be purchased in 5mm x 4' x 50' rolls. Depending on the amount of material needed this could be something to consider. Just thinking, if we needed 24" wide road we'd get 100' out of this, but if we only needed 18" wide roadway, then you'd potentially get 150' of road for the cost. This product can be purchased in black, then we'd have to add the stripes, etc. This product is durable, can be washed with a hose, and reused many times.

By the way, this is a simular product to that used for the "Truck Championships" in the UK recently. I had some correspondence with them about the material they used. The product that I decribed above is made in the USA from recycled rubber and carriers the LEED certification as well.

Anyhow, just a thought on the road question.

Thank you for your reply, that cleared up the question. My list was only to prompt a "check list" as you provided.

Thank you again, see you at Indy,

Jim
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a good chance to be there this year, and I need to know how much the pit pass is, and any other expense there might be?

Thanx, Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackso5 View Post
Chris, there is a rolled rubber product that can be purchased in 5mm x 4' x 50' rolls. Depending on the amount of material needed this could be something to consider. Just thinking, if we needed 24" wide road we'd get 100' out of this, but if we only needed 18" wide roadway, then you'd potentially get 150' of road for the cost. This product can be purchased in black, then we'd have to add the stripes, etc. This product is durable, can be washed with a hose, and reused many times.

By the way, this is a simular product to that used for the "Truck Championships" in the UK recently. I had some correspondence with them about the material they used. The product that I decribed above is made in the USA from recycled rubber and carriers the LEED certification as well.

Anyhow, just a thought on the road question.

Thank you for your reply, that cleared up the question. My list was only to prompt a "check list" as you provided.

Thank you again, see you at Indy,

Jim
Jim
I looked at there videos and photos … seams to lay flat ok …. ( that road material ) ,
Even thought you can see that they also had some wrinkles here and there ,
but not as bad as we usually have it with that paper material .
The tar-paper would be actually not so bad if we could keep people from walking on it !
But it takes a bunch of tape to keep the stuff on the carpet …

How much is that rubber material and where to get it ?
What is it actually called? and what is it usually used for ?

If I know where to get it , I would order some of this stuff up front to give it a check-up before we end up getting a bunch of this stuff and it may doesn’t turn out to be so good ..
Since you wrote that it’s about 5mm thick ! , I would assume it has already some weight to it to more or less lay flat … then would be just the question , does any tape stick to it ?
rubber can be very slick …. But since these guys used it , it’s maybe not a bad idea ….
Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Page 2
East coast rod has agreed to buildings and parking lot but no bridge( huge bummer there)
Central plains has committed to primarily trucks

I am planning on blueshirts warehous dock and a minor gravel pit with conveyer set up.

Yet to be really figured out is roadways!
In the past we've used rics tar paper set up. But that likes to push and pull about. Smaller sections with lap joints help but only so much. We discussed about just tape lining roads but it's pretty cheesy.

Post your thoughts and ideas - remember - were setting up indoors in a 'fancy' hotel - so fresh dirt and those ideal concrete roadways are out - or are they?

Thanks izzy
Hello Chris ,
Good deal with bringing blueshirt’s dock again , so we can do the same expanded ware-house setup like we did the past 2 years .

What’s everybody’s take on the train-stuff ?
Since we are this year in that other room , I could see the train-tracks going from one end to the other without the need for any crossings ? like a connection between 2 ware-houses or ware-house and ramp/unloading area ?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

I plan to be there with some equipment. Not sure what days will work out yet.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Backyard enginier

Willy - let me get some room specs and a sketch before I commit one way or another. If it is a yes we must make sure drivers have clear view and plenty of space. We must still fetch the occasional stranded truck quickly and easily.

We are going for a more open and long road style of city - where the trucks can stretch their gear reduced legs but still have good quality/ realistic environment for the trucks to interact with.

To pull this off we need displays buildings and carpeting to represent grass, water, and dirt areas......
Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Green Horn

Location: Up a hill above the dirty Ohio river on the Indiana side.
rcguyfarms is on a distinguished road

If the show layout is planned, is that how it going to be? In years past plans have never been implemented, just spur of the moment setup has been done.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 AM

Willy, here's in one supplier of the rubber material for possible use as the "road". There are several suppliers that I searched, but as noted this is just one of them. The supplier has the material in 1/8 inch thick material, which I think is about 3.5 mm. Using a thinner material may allow for easier storage and transport as well as a smaller edge for the truck to pass over if they get off the roadway. Joining the material would have to be reviewed as we would want something that easily comes apart, possibly "blue painter's tape" on the underside of the material. Making curves would have to be thought out as more material would be needed, but again this is just thought and as way to "rasie the bar" improve the overall layout and operation of the city. Your thoughts?

Thank you,

Jim
Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Chris, this sounds great. As you'll see I've answered Willy's post for information. As for the "grass, water" look, Home Depot and Costco have indoor/outdoor carpet at cheap prices. Maybe even Walmart would have some at cheap pricing to allow us to do this.

I would think that at least having some type of "idea on paper" of the layout would aid in the set up. Making this a bit more organized with a "plan". Afterall, the plan can always be modified, but atleast when you have something on paper you can talk about it before you start building.

Thank you,

Jim
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Backyard enginier

Jim - Scott -

For the most part this has come from discussions with several regular attendees - but of course not all but especially Ric. As typical the city is for us to decide. I have talked the key people who have the 'big' items like bridges. The only bridge coming is Rics. Therefor it seemed logical to make it center stage. With the increasing number of construction equipment and little opportunity for hopper fillers it seemed likely to have a master pit and multiple small pits. Throw in the ever increasing number of trucks that are mostly parked (can only drive one at a time) and we tend to have a cramped set up. So I thought larger parking stretches with adjoining roads would give a nice presentation up front to the crowd with the activity just behind it and the drivers all the way in the back. This also keeps the pushy pedestrian out of the city.

As for the original question - it's just a plan - can always be changed.

For those wondering why I am leading - well let's just say I didn't step back with the rest of the group at the time.

Scott - what ya think? Or do we like all the curvy roads under the bridge?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Chris, thank you for taking the lead on this, and I know that Rod and other people are also involved in the planning. Yes, I agree that the beauty of a plan is that it can be revised at will/on the fly. But having a plan allows people to see, understand, and talk about the pro/con. It sounds like you have the dimensions of the room showing the doorways etc. so that will make it easy to sketch up what you're saying.

Cenrtainly, Ric is the center and will have whatever he needs. Do you have a dimension for Ric's bridge? How much time do you need for set up? As I said before I'll plan to be there from Thursday through Sunday to help. The only thing that could possible get in the way is an employment offer!!! But I'll handle that, if I get that lucky.

Do you need any, just houses for the layout? I've got a couple/few. If so, let me know I can provide pictures of them. Also, is Darryl bringing his weight station? We've used that here and its fun to see how much material each load is.

Let me know if there is anything you need that I can help with.

Thank you again for coordinating this event,

Jim

Last edited by jjackso5; 06-10-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added content