RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Green Horn

ekim is on a distinguished road
Default Plastic VS. Metal Models??

I am curious what you fine folks will say. I am ofcourse wanting the most bang for my buck, that being said. Ofcourse the platics are going to be more cost effective to me, yet I plan on working these models in a construction environment and use them regularly once I get started. I dont want a model that will not last. So, for those of you with Tam/Wedico models could you sound off and let me know if you feel the quality of a plastic will last as well as the others????? Thanks for your time gentlemen.

Michael (ekim)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Green Horn

Default Re: Plastic VS. Metal Models??

THANKS Chris,
I am more concerced about the drivetrain and how well they hold up. I am guessing at some point on the body it will have alot to do with how well I take care of my stuff and what and how I treat it while using it. I am really sure that out of the gate for my first model (dump) will most probably be a Tamiya, Thanks for your time and knowledge Chris.

Michael (ekim)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Green Horn

Body style will probably be north american..... atleast for now anyway LOL.\

Ekim
Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Tamiya all the way. Don't get me wrong Wedico are nice trucks, but I never see anyone ever using them for anything but collecting dust. Tamiya is tough and rugid and can handle anything you throw at it and now with a lot of aftermarket parts they have metal axle housings and stuff. I have not seen too many people break the plastic housings. There are a lot of people that have put their tamiyas though a lot of hard running and have had no major issues.
To each their own as the saying goes but my .02 says tamiya
Old 01-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Plastic VS. Metal Models??

Mike, I've worked with the Tamiya trucks for well over a decade now and I've seen and handled the Wedico trucks. The argument can be made for either, but I suggest the Tamiya as a day-to-day unit being a preferred choice of truck.

Wedico: The Wedico unit has an all metal undercarriage, as well as drive-train, and a metal body. It is heavier and supposedly more durable than the 'plastic' of Tamiya and allows you to choose your optional parts as you build.

Tamiya: The Tamiya unit has a mostly metal undercarriage, with a 'plastic' drive-train, and a 'plastic' body; But the drive-train can be up-graded to a metal unit and the advantage to having a 'plastic' body is that it's far easier to modify and customize (most bodies on trucks today in the 1:1 scale are fiberglass anyway). It is lighter and (in my opinion) just as durable as a Wedico truck and comes in a kit that allows you a nearly RTR unit when finished. Anything you want to add as an 'after-market' item can be easily adapted and fitted at anytime during or after a build.

Just my thoughts

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Green Horn

RCT and Dabears.. thank you. I have made up my mind to invest in the wisdom of the forum Tamiya it will be. Now that I have made my mind up.....I'm thinking the hauler....that being said not to be one to procrastinate I must decide on a wheeled loader and excavator kit. LOL That will be a few down the road though..

Thanks so much for your input and wisdom guys.

Michael (ekim)