RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:49 PM

calum_scania is on a distinguished road
Default DX10 or MC20

Hi guys I'm looking for a new radio fr my Excavator, I've seen a few people using the spektrum but has anyone used the graupner?

Can anyone help me?

Calum
Old 10-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Green Horn

thercfreak2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DX10 or MC20

Yes a guy who I know uses a graupner mc19 2.4ghz conversion by servonaut with all the linear switches and channels and position switches
Old 10-22-2014, 02:03 AM
Green Horn

apfubar is on a distinguished road

I am running a graupner mc32... I was running a spektrum dx10t...

What are you after?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Green Horn

What I can say is the following:
- dx10t - is now an older radio from Spektrum, which has and continues to receive updates(apparently there is one in the works at the moment - Andy on RcGroups stated this). It is however discontinued, and replaced by the 18t, so you should get a good deal on it.
I would however recommend you carefully consider the limitations of the 10t, particularly the number of mixes... This may force you down to the 18t, in the spektrum line(I think the 18t has a similar number of mixes to the 18).
It does support 18 channels, which is good, and the buttons on the sticks(assuming it is the standard sticks) are frankly brilliant.

- Graupner- I have only used the mc32, not the 20.... They are pretty similar... given the mc20 only has 10 channels, check and confirm that this is enough for what you need. Also confirm that you have enough sliders for control surfaces, as there aren't as many mixes.
It is a bit harder in my view to program than the spektrum, but it is more flexible. The Hott system can do some really cool stuff in the receiver...
Oh yeah, if you are familiar with Spektrums model match, be aware Graupner does not offer this at all(any models bound and switched on will receive commands regardless of what model is selected).

i hope that helps a little, as stated above feel free to ask any specific q's.

Cheers,
AP.
P.s. I do currently use Dx9, dx18 and Graupner MC32 radios
Old 10-22-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfubar View Post
What I can say is the following:
- dx10t - is now an older radio from Spektrum, which has and continues to receive updates(apparently there is one in the works at the moment - Andy on RcGroups stated this). It is however discontinued, and replaced by the 18t, so you should get a good deal on it.
I would however recommend you carefully consider the limitations of the 10t, particularly the number of mixes... This may force you down to the 18t, in the spektrum line(I think the 18t has a similar number of mixes to the 18).
It does support 18 channels, which is good, and the buttons on the sticks(assuming it is the standard sticks) are frankly brilliant.

- Graupner- I have only used the mc32, not the 20.... They are pretty similar... given the mc20 only has 10 channels, check and confirm that this is enough for what you need. Also confirm that you have enough sliders for control surfaces, as there aren't as many mixes.
It is a bit harder in my view to program than the spektrum, but it is more flexible. The Hott system can do some really cool stuff in the receiver...
Oh yeah, if you are familiar with Spektrums model match, be aware Graupner does not offer this at all(any models bound and switched on will receive commands regardless of what model is selected).

i hope that helps a little, as stated above feel free to ask any specific q's.

Cheers,
AP.
P.s. I do currently use Dx9, dx18 and Graupner MC32 radios
Thanks for your reply, I currently use a Robbe F16 with servonaut which suits my truck fine. I find using it with the excavator its pretty basic and the machine can't be running to its best.
Its a Stahl machine so it only has a 3 valve block, but I would like to have a radio which could cope with a bigger machine and some attachments too?

The Graupner system I was looking at had 12 channels fitted, with the option to assign any switch to any command. With you saying about no model match is a little disappointing though, I would be nice to be able to possibly have two machine's running from one transmitter (if another excavator was bought)
I presume the MC32 is similar to the 20 apart from more channels?

Interesting to hear about the spektrum being discontinued, I have seen the new 18t in the same tray style radio.

I shall have to do a bit more research on this now
Old 10-22-2014, 05:06 PM

I should of said this is the MC20 HOTT i was looking at

http://www.der-schweighofer.at/artik..._gueltig_s.v.r
Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I'd have to say that the model match is a major plus! I have 3 models on at the same time regularly using just the DX18.

The DX9, had it been released a few yrs sooner would probably be all the radio I would ever need, but I have the DX18.

Joe
Old 10-23-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
I'd have to say that the model match is a major plus! I have 3 models on at the same time regularly using just the DX18.

The DX9, had it been released a few yrs sooner would probably be all the radio I would ever need, but I have the DX18.
Yes me too, even though I'm just going to be using for 1 machine at the moment it would be nice to have that option. I'm guessing all the Graupner radio's will be the same?

Is the Spektrum really my only option for what I want?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Green Horn

Yes the mc32 has more channels, and a couple more controls as well(3 sliders in between the sticks). Fwiw I think I needed 14 channels for the 944, due to the split boom, two aux hydraulic ports, and lights. On the HOTT stuff you can get a multiswitch module which allows 1 channel to control 4/8 functions(reduced resolution, and response... Good for secondary functions)... Which might eliminate the need to go beyond the mc20.

I think other radios have similar functions to the model match...

Jeti may have model match...

with Graupner hott, you have to turn the model off, select a new model in the tx, turn the new model on... So you can still run two models, just a little bit more involved to switch between them.

It's not a huge problem for me as I run the excavator on the MC32 and the rest of the gear on spektrum.

If I ever get a second excavator, I will use the mc32, and accept the pain... I wouldn't be switching that much between the two machines...

Cheers,
AP

Last edited by apfubar; 10-23-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Wombats r us
Old 10-24-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Yes the mc32 has more channels, and a couple more controls as well(3 sliders in between the sticks). Fwiw I think I needed 14 channels for the 944, due to the split boom, two aux hydraulic ports, and lights. On the HOTT stuff you can get a multiswitch module which allows 1 channel to control 4/8 functions(reduced resolution, and response... Good for secondary functions)... Which might eliminate the need to go beyond the mc20.

I think other radios have similar functions to the model match...

Jeti may have model match...

with Graupner hott, you have to turn the model off, select a new model in the tx, turn the new model on... So you can still run two models, just a little bit more involved to switch between them.

It's not a huge problem for me as I run the excavator on the MC32 and the rest of the gear on spektrum.

If I ever get a second excavator, I will use the mc32, and accept the pain... I wouldn't be switching that much between the two machines...

Cheers,
AP
Thanks for the reply, its a little disappointing to read about no model match being fitted to the Graupner. I could live with having to switch off models but it would be nice to be able to use say a dump truck or loading shovel working along side the excavator.
The Spektrum is looking like the better radio for me at the moment I would say
Old 10-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Wannabe

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Hi Calum,

I was having the same dillema as you last year, weighing up between a Spektrum/Graupner.

I already had a DX7S so was used to the Spektrum setup and quality, but in the end I went with a Taranis from frsky and its fantastic at a fraction of the cost.

Taranis thread

Cheers
Stu
Old 10-29-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Hi Calum,

I was having the same dillema as you last year, weighing up between a Spektrum/Graupner.

I already had a DX7S so was used to the Spektrum setup and quality, but in the end I went with a Taranis from frsky and its fantastic at a fraction of the cost.

Taranis thread

Cheers
Stu
Thanks Stuart but I'm looking for a tray radio
Old 08-21-2015, 08:08 AM

davidmc36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
.....if you are familiar with Spektrums model match, be aware Graupner does not offer this at all.....
An FYI for y'all, as of a few months ago, Graupner radios now have a parallel to Model Match. It's called HoTTSync and you are able to choose during bind whether to turn the feature on for each Model Memory Slot.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:37 PM

chris1210 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
An FYI for y'all, as of a few months ago, Graupner radios now have a parallel to Model Match. It's called HoTTSync and you are able to choose during bind whether to turn the feature on for each Model Memory Slot.
Thank you for the info, I just updated to latest firmware
Old 09-22-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
I will need to do this, I haven't used mine in ages now

Calum