RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Green Horn

gismow is on a distinguished road
Default Custom build mutliswitch

Hi...

All my trucks are working with the sound and light module USM-RC-2 from Beier electronic.

The module is extreme flexible with a lot if features. One option to activate/deactivate lights, sounds and actions is to tick the stick of one channel one or multiple times into one direction.

1 tick left = turn signal left
1 tick right = turn signal right
2 ticks left = standard light
2 ticks right = upper beam
3 ticks left = ...

This list can be extended until 12 or 16 ticks in one direction.

It gives you the possibility to control lots of features via one channel, but you always must count.

So I started to build a multiswitch. A set of push button switches.

Each switch activates/deactivates a feature by ticking it once.

The switches are controlled by a small custom build board based on an AVR ATTiny84.

The CPU checks the switches and if a switch is ticked, it simulates one or multiple ticks in he corresponding direction. This is done by connecting to the switch at the transmitter.

The board is soldered parallel to the standard cables of the switch so it can be used manually at the transmitter or via the board.

The board has an own power management so that it can be activated if needed.

The final result:

Now I can toggle each function by ticking the corresponding switch into the corresponding direction.

Another possitive effect in addition of the fun building it: I paid 30 bugs for the material (21 of it for the switches) and that's it, I saved 50 bugs.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom build mutliswitch

That's really awesome!. So the rc2 only uses 1 channel to let you run those?

Is this something you're intirested in sharing coding and circuits, or selling burned chips, or built boards?
Old 12-29-2016, 01:10 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Quite ingenious of you gismow, well done

So if I understand correctly, you 1st activate 3pos on radio, then the corresponding switch for desired function on "custom box"?

Joe
Old 12-29-2016, 04:05 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Quite ingenious of you gismow, well done

So if I understand correctly, you 1st activate 3pos on radio, then the corresponding switch for desired function on "custom box"?
The chip just simulates the x-times ticking of the switch on the radio.

Each switch on my box represents a number of ticks in a configured direction. The upper left switch stands for 1 tick up or down, the next on the right for 2 ticks up or down, the next for 3 ticks up or down and so on. The last switch stands for 12 ticks up or down.

If you tick the most left switch in the second row one time up, the chip will simulate 7 tick up at the radio switch. So the radio will send 7 ticks up via the channel to the receiver. If the USM-RC2 is connected to this channel it counts the ticks and it will activate resp. deactivate the function that is configured on "7 times up".

I only tick a switch on my box up or down instead of ticking the switch on the radio multiple times.

On my photos you can see a power regulator and a power switch for the box. The chip needs 5V and the battery has full charged 5.5V and maybe I upgrade to LiPo having 7.2V. So I do need a regulatir to 5V and a seperated power switch.

This had also the advantage that I can switch off my box if it's not needed to spare energy.

I hope I answered your questions.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:15 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
That's really awesome!. So the rc2 only uses 1 channel to let you run those?

Is this something you're intirested in sharing coding and circuits, or selling burned chips, or built boards?
Hi...

Yes, the module can handle up to 30 functions via one channel. Up to 15 ticks up or down. That's why I started to build the box to avoid errors in counting abd ticking.

I can share some photos of the circuits. The code will not be shared here in the forum, I will only share it with selected persons based on the restriction that the code is only used for private projects. It will be forbidden to use it for commercial products (except we agree on license fees ).
Old 12-30-2016, 11:40 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Yes you did, great explanation, great work on the device.

Joe
Old 01-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Wannabe

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Nice job on the multi-switch Peter,

I'm using logic switches in my Taranis X9E to perform the "ticking" for me, much easier than trying to count!

Stuart