RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:21 PM

NickelPlate is on a distinguished road
Default MFC-01 Issues

Hi All,

Got some issues with my MFC-01 hoping you all can help me with:

1. The speaker makes a whining sound when on and I turn the volume way down.
2. The voltage output to the receiver is about 5 volts. I read somewhere else someone said it was suppose to be 6.
3. Sometimes I get a popping sound from the speaker during operation like the power cuts out briefly. I had a hobbico volt watch attached and the light flickers when it pops.
4. The speed indicators aren't working anymore. All the lamps work but the other day I could see the speed indicators working.
5. I tried adjusting VR2 which according to the manual controls the vibration motor but it appears to have no effect.

Seems all other functions are okay. Any ideas? I'm hoping this is a setup issue and not a problem with the unit. I ordered from Tower Hobbies but I have no idea what they are like dealing with returns.

Just for the record I'm using a JR XP8103 radio.

Thanks,

NP

Last edited by NickelPlate; 09-19-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:43 PM

Default Re: MFC-01 Issues

Seems the speaker whining is picking up noise from the motor. ESC noise perhaps? Is this normal? I only hear it a low to no volume. Also I figured out the speed indicators are mutually exclusive of roof lamp mode so that's a non issue.

Last edited by NickelPlate; 09-19-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road

I mentioned on another thread that the MFC puts out a stable voltage, I thought it was 6v but could be 5v.....my mistake!

My speaker also whines a bit at low volume, only because once the volume is turned up it drowns out the whine. I don't think it's interference from the motor because I hear it even when the motor isn't in the model! But mounting speaker too close to the motor won't help.

Speed indicator mode and roof lamp mode are mutually exclusive, selected with one of the round push buttons on the MFC control unit

Not sure about the popping noise....I've got 3 trucks all with MFC and I've never had that.

VR2 definitely should work....but I found the vibration unit a waste of time so I have removed it from my trucks anyway...
Old 09-20-2015, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback ricm. I checked the speed indicators and you're right you can push the little button on the control unit to select it. Other than the occasional popping it seems everything is okay then. VR2 does actually adjust the speed of the vibration motor but it's subtle and you have to have the counter weight attached to tell the difference which I didn't before.

Another question:

Do you know if the switch on the control box truly disconnects the battery? Seems it doesn't because if you turn it off while running it goes through a power down engine shut off sequence. Can you leave the battery connected to the MFC at all times I guess is what I'd really like to know or is there a current drain?
Old 09-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelPlate View Post
Another question:

Do you know if the switch on the control box truly disconnects the battery? Seems it doesn't because if you turn it off while running it goes through a power down engine shut off sequence. Can you leave the battery connected to the MFC at all times I guess is what I'd really like to know or is there a current drain?
The MFC does have a 'shut-down' sequence but my understanding is that this is controlled by the software and that once the red light by the power switch is goes out (it stays on during the shut-down), then the model is off and there is no further power drain on the battery.

You shouldn't leave the battery connected in any model for an extended period without use....strictly you should remove the battery once you've finished using it, even for short periods. Best case, if the battery remains connected I believe the terminals can pick up moisture and corrode (over a very long time though), worst case some batteries have been known to cause fire which damages the model and is a risk to other people/ property. Certainly, you should never charge a battery when it is still in the model. However, I have occasionally left my battery connected for a few days at a time (by mistake) and have still found good charge in it that period....indicates to me that there is no apparent current drain once the MFC is off. Although the only real way to check is to test the theory with some good quality measuring equipment....
Old 10-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Figured out the popping sound is basically a signal the battery is getting low. Since I switched my radio module over to a Frsky 2.4Ghz system, it's been trouble free. Too much glitching running 72Mhz aircraft band which wasn't legal anyway.