RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:43 AM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default New Member

Well I've been lurking for almost a year, found the site after trying to find more information about my Nylint Michigan Crane.
My father started to try and motorize it back in 1965 and I still have it along with several other construction toys that now are begging to be converted to RC.
I'm new to RC spent years in 1/32 slot cars but have kind of gotten the bug with construction equipment. Not sure I want to drop thousands in the hobby yet so following the lead of Small Haul, Frizzen, RVJIMD, 9Wmonighan, and host of others I'm starting with a Tonka conversion. I found the WPL parts have a pretty close track width for the Tonka, and Nylint trucks....so it has started....I think I have read every thread dealing with these from the last 10 years but still seem to have a lot of questions....so let it begin.
Jerry
Old 01-09-2020, 10:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Member

Welcome neighbor. You coming down to Lebanon PA next week for the Cabin Fever Expo?
Lots to see with your conversion first hand.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:44 PM
Journeyman

If this weather holds I'm planning on it, I hope to bring a truck if I can get a few bugs worked out
Old 01-09-2020, 07:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Good to have you here, and that's a pretty long time lurking.

I really like the Michigan Crane as a conversion. It looks good, got some mass, pretty decent amount of room to work inside. I really need to try to start ordering and draw up some parts get my crane carrier finally driving.

Which truck are you starting with?

Can't wait for the build threads
Old 01-10-2020, 10:36 AM
Journeyman

Since I'm new to RC I started with a Tonka conversing (thanks to Smallhaul) I'm using a WPL frame and running gear so I didn't have to work out those details this time around. The wheelbase and width were almost perfect. I upgraded most of the parts to metal and I'm experimenting with making my own actuators and different motors....learning as I go. Yeah I lurked for a while because I wasn't ready to start my builds and didn't want to start a build thread and have it drag out....
By the way the WPL running gear is almost an exact match for the crane too... it's what I plan to use to get it to move.