RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Metal forming & tools

Metal forming & tools If it bends,twists,welds,cuts & turns metal.Post it here

Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 AM

Jack3M is on a distinguished road
Default making track pads

Folks that machine are my targets here. My 4200xl with the Soyland upgrade motors breaks tracks frequently due to little rocks getting in. His system has fuses and they do blow when I get them in there, but sometimes, the track breaks first at the pin.

These are made from aluminum. I am thinking steel? (I am asking for advice, I am not a machinist but just bought a manual mill.)

My first attempt was with aluminum which literally wore out almost right away.

Methods? Make as one piece or 3 pieces that assemble?

Am I wrong to want to use steel due to the wear? That was 6061 in my first attempt that wore out so fast
Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 AM

CAMODADDY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: making track pads

7075 or 7050 Aluminum is definitely harder than 6061 and should hold up better. You really wont notice a difference when cutting it though. You can order virtually any size bar you want at McMaster-Carr.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

1018 steel cuts like butter . Online metals is a good source too .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:05 PM

I have used both for metal, plus I have a local Metal Supermarkets so I don't have to pay shipping.

New question to add to the mix, since this is a very repetitive process, is it possible to make a template (manual mill) and do similar to methods used with wood hand held routers? Say maybe rework an endmill and put a stop and smooth, non-cutting edge?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

If you have a mill one of the most valuable tools would be a dro, digital read out , I cut all my dozer links, and pads. I did try to make them in runs, not individually. A lot of repetitive work but my dozer tracks are holding up well. I made the pin out of brass and the brass wears out first. Very glad it is the wearing part as they are easy to remake verses the links. Do you have any pics of the broken track pieces? I'm curious to see where the stresses are. Could possibly help more
Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oh and are they a roll pin holding tracks together? As some of mine would loosen and come out of one side. I could easily see how that might break the tracks if it happened. And keep in mind tracks on our machines are the most vulnerable to clogging. I see some guys burying their machines in dirt from digging or turning. Just like 1:1 machines it's a skilled operator that keeps tracks fairly clean and debris free. Especially in a quarry.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:09 AM

Yes, I am learning very rapidly to keep the dirt out of the tracks. No pics handy, but the links are breaking at the pin, the pin is a very hard, solid, chromed, ?steel? Pins show no wear.

Had to make some extra T-nuts yesterday. Found some cold rolled steel and not sure how fast I should cut, but it seems to cut fairly well. I think I could make tracks from it. Just time and I have plenty of that in the upcoming rainy season.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Just saw you are from washiugal, use to race, nice national mx track there!! Lots of sand!! I'll try later today to get you a pic of the pins I have in my 4200. I believe they are the older ones with just roll pins.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:28 AM

Ya busy time once a year. Comes at same time as local celebrations, so that is a very busy weekend, we usually hide at home then