RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Euro Style Trucks and Trailers

Euro Style Trucks and Trailers A place for the Euro style trucks single and twin axle trucks and trailers...

Old 01-17-2016, 02:20 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: ScaleART - Assembling a MAN TGX/XL 6x6 tractor & Trailer

Before you cut the mounts test fit the light so your sure they fit

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road

Hi Tracy, good point, was thinking about that. The screws that attach the actual lights might interfere with the fender supports.

Before cutting into the supports I will try to make a support out of some thin brass plate I have using the supports as a template. Now I hope that reading Berna's threads, maybe some of his brass working skills have rubbed of on me.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:58 AM
Apprentice

After Tracy's post and looking at the rear lights again, tried the simple approach.

Trimmed a small piece of thin brass plate into 2 L shaped pieces and used the original supports to drill the 2 holes needed to attach the rear lights. The 2 pieces fit in between the 2 clamps holding on the fender and are just under the fender support. (Too bad I don't have the scale diamond plate here)

Corresponding holes drilled in the fenders

Rear light screwed on

Both with the coloured glass. The coloured cover is not completely pushed home, still have to glue in the transparent piece and I think I have to colour the indicator part of it too. Have to check that one.

Will paint the brass black before the final install.

Here pictures of the front and back of the PistenKing LED boards they make for ScaleART.

I will probably drill another hole through the brass plate and fender to guide the wires inside the fender ... will see how that works out.

Only thing left is to figure out where to makel the hole in the fuel tank to get the bowden cable to the servo of the front differential that is supposed to go in there.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:13 AM

Prop Shaft is on a distinguished road

Looks great.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 AM
Apprentice

Well I wish I could say it was my meticulous measuring etc. but in reality, the bit of brass I cut/bend figuring I will adjust it until it fits, just fitted perfectly first time around. Pure luck. And for bonus points, the rear light fits between the brackets holding the fender to the support.

Now disassembling and painting time.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:53 AM

Doggy is on a distinguished road

This is a great build. Nice to see so many close photos of the parts we usually cant see if we dont buy it. The more i look at scaleart truck, the more I want one.

Cabin on that truck is aluminum?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:37 PM
Apprentice

The cab is cast metal, but I don't think it is aluminum, a bit too heavy for that. Probably zinc?

As for all the individual parts, they are beautifully crafted and a pleasure to assemble. Slightly addictive too.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:53 AM
Apprentice

A quick update.

Received the missing LEDs for the position lights and indicators needed for the cab. That was fast work from ScaleART as well the postal services!
Guess the folks at ScaleART must know I'm no good at soldering ... the wires are nicely soldered on and wrapped in heat shrink tube.

On the question Doggy asked about the casting material, found the answer on the ScaleART website:

https://scaleart-shop.de/en/Help/?si...def5a1e0b02320
Old 01-30-2016, 11:29 PM
Apprentice

Not much of an update, too many things going on at the same time. Sadly enough not all hobby related.

Before I started taking the truck apart for painting, I noticed that the front leaf suspension is sagging quite a bit. And this is without the weight of the battery, electronics etc. in the cabin. I will fortify the front suspension by doubling up some of the leafs with those left over from the Arocs.

Meanwhile the we are almost back down to a bare frame. Disassembling is a bit of a logistical problem in keeping parts and screws organised.

While I had access I relocated the motor support inside the frame. I will bring the gearbox/motor closer to the front differential but that should be counteracted by strengthening the front suspension.

Still have to assemble the rear leaf suspension to replace the airbag one and decide what gets painted black and what red ...
Old 01-31-2016, 08:51 AM

im always struck by how good these trucks look. anxiously awaiting to see it with some paint.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 PM
Apprentice

Hi Prop, you will have to wait a good while before paint gets on the frame! Weather here not that great for painting at the moment. Lots of dust in the air because of dry season. Need to mess a bit around with the chassis too. Going to install the heavy duty rear part again now that I go for the leaf suspension.

Stripped most of the parts of this morning. Next up is reinforce the front suspension and assemble the leaf suspension for the back. Looks like I might have to adjust/enlarge holes in the heavy duty rear to accommodate support for the rear fenders. Should not be to hard.

Looks like I will have many small bits to paint. Not that easy with a rattle can. At least this time I got some decent paint.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 PM

What paint are you using?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:12 PM
Apprentice

This time round I got paint from the UK, not the local stuff. (Still rattle can though)

Going to try out a zinc primer followed by RAL 3002 Acrylic or RAL 9011 Mat Black - Depending which part.

Not going to make the mistake I did with the 409LC, so will first check compatibility of paints on a piece of scrap metal and then make sure to leave enough time between layers.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:34 AM

Bobby is on a distinguished road

Good precise work dude. thumbs up.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakthi View Post
This time round I got paint from the UK, not the local stuff. (Still rattle can though)

Going to try out a zinc primer followed by RAL 3002 Acrylic or RAL 9011 Mat Black - Depending which part.

Not going to make the mistake I did with the 409LC, so will first check compatibility of paints on a piece of scrap metal and then make sure to leave enough time between layers.
Cool sounds like a plan.
After my first disasterous attemp painting the Jeep. Ive found the duplicolor automotive line is now my go to for rattle can paints. Probably cant source it where you are but maybe something similar if needed? what I know now will help me tremendously down the road. It is laquer based paint, which is great for drying times. You can recoat after 10 or 30 minutes, depending on the application. The most important part of this system is their self etching primer. As someone told me in one of my posts, "it sticks to just about anything". Seems they were right! What a life saver. Good luck with your painting.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:00 AM
Apprentice

Actually I should invest in decent airbrush equipment. it's available here in Malaysia, but the supplies are rather hard to get. Because paint and thinner are "dangerous" cargo, they do not allow it on planes. So comes in on the slow boat and they never really have stock. Of course I don't order big enough supplies to make it worth their time.

The zinc primer is supposed to be self etching ... will see if it is true. According to their info it should be neutral with other paints and provide excellent adherence. Will try and see.

I also got regular grey acrylic primer in case the zinc based one doesn't work out. Whatever, it has to be better than the locally produced stuff.

Well living on a tropical island does have certain drawbacks ... there are days I wished I was back in Europe, specially if you have to wait weeks for some simple stuff.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Apprentice

Another short update.

Since I will use the rear leaf suspension, I re-installed the heavy hauler rear end again. I wanted to install a coupling too. Not the Rockinger variety but a simple one which is also available from ScaleART.

Will need different nuts and bolts to hold it on, this would look a bit odd even after painting.

Another thing, because the heavy hauler attachment is set deeper in, the pin can not be inserted or taken out. It bumps against the top part. I will have to rummage through my junk pile and see if I have something of suitable thickness to bring the part out enough.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:16 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Try making a spacer from some thick metal flat sheet for a quick fix then find some long screws to mount it .....

Cheers Tracy

Old 02-05-2016, 03:47 AM

JD Transport is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: ScaleART - Assembling a MAN TGX/XL 6x6 tractor & Trailer

This is a superb build, thanks for sharing.

Scaleart is lovely but I could never justify cost.

Just lovely to admire it.

Thumbs up to you for your patients on the build,if I ever won the lotto I could only get a RTR model.

Your pics are very detailed and great quality.

Thanks again I'm enjoying this.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:55 AM
Apprentice

@Cossett - Hi Tracy, that is indeed what I have in mind, will have to check first how thick the stuff has to be. Have some 1.5 mm sheet aluminium around, might have to double it up though.

@JD Transport - Glad you enjoy it. The stuff is indeed lovely. I have to admit that there are the rare moments I wished I had ordered a build model.

Tags
man tgx xl, scaleart, trailer