RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Vehicles Picture Gallery > 1:1 Your Semi's,Trucks and Equipment

1:1 Your Semi's,Trucks and Equipment Here is a spot to share your 1:1 that you drive and or operate.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Something new to rc

Tier 4 emissions have taken the "F" out of fun!
I'm hanging on to my older equipment and truck as long as I can!
EGR is the worst thing that ever happened to Diesel engines.
Cheers, Neil.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:15 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

3yo combine, just under 500 thresher hrs. I could have easy gone another yr without major work, but with a falling dollar & the combine another yr older, the trade difference could really sky rocket!!! My dealer made me a good deal on a 2014 that didn't sell last yr before harvest season, carryover stock they wanted to get rid of.

I use a 36' draper head made by Honey Bee, the factory is about 50 miles from my farm. The header is an '02, it's pretty solid yet, I don't see ant cracks anywhere & the dealership won't give me any trade value on it b/c of its age... so as long as the frame holds together, I'll keep using it.

I don't know anything about tier 4 yet, I just drove it home that day & parked in the shed. It's gonna be a pain in the neck to buy the right amount of def fluid for the season b/c it has no shelf life! Other than that, I haven't heard of any problems from others with New Holland or CaseIH combines... John Deere on the otherhand with their re-burn system for tier 4, a lot of combines burnt up in 2012, didn't hear about quite as many last yr.

It's the way of future, good or bad, gotta deal with it eventually.

Here's a video of me seeding yesterday... 1st time using my IPhone to shoot film, you gotta tilt your for the 1st minute, then I got it right side up - with a bit of help from youtube's editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCkeWQPe8I4

Joe
Old 05-11-2014, 12:02 PM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

seems like the new equipment is working good. I think what impressed me the most was the relatively tight turning radius.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:09 AM

hvy 1ton is on a distinguished road

If you can keep it room temp and out of the sun def will left at least 2 years. I need to check but i think we were around 8% of fuel use for the year with 7230's. Just buy a tote and good stainless pump if your never too far from home.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:09 AM
BANNED

I do my headlands 1st, so I have about 120' to turn around within... it's proving to be a bit of a challenge to get just the right arc so the drill swings into position asap for the next pass - so when I come back from the other direction there is no gap not seeded.

When I got the combine home that day, I drained all the def fluid as soon as I shut it off the shed into two 10L jugs & took them to my house. Storing a tote over winter somewhere heated is not possible for me to do... I'll have to gauge by how the crop is fairing from one tote to the next vs how much I have left to harvest & use 10L jugs from there. I don't even know yet what it costs per Liter.

I was able to start the combine without def fluid last week to get my sprayer out of the shed. "Out of def" alarm was beeping continually for 20mins it was running to make the swap.

Here's a couple of pics of filling my sprayer... I use to fill from the house well, but my galvanized tank rusted out this yr... I got all this water next to farm... Buying a sump was a lot cheaper, easier & quicker than getting another tank!

My corrals GOSH!!! I'm glad I got rid of my cow herd 3yrs ago, this flooding is gonna be a problem for a long time to come yet!

You can see a white line on the slab fence, that's how high the water level was in 2011 & the water level then by the time winter came still looked about this deep it is currently. The water didn't leave this pen till August of 2012... and it floods every Spring now. Strong winds last June blew over that section of fence in the water... those railroad ties were 5 feet in the ground, they just popped out of the soggy ground. I was going to stand the fence back up last October, but I didn't get within 30' of the fence & the front axle of Ford FWA fel started sinking quick! What a mess!

Joe
Old 05-12-2014, 06:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Hi Joe, when you are planting your fields using GPS how do you program it to know where the rows end etc? Do you make a manual run around the perimeter? Sorry for all the questions, I've had friends and family who've owned farms so I've grown up visiting them. But they weren't as large as yours. Thanks for posting this is interesting reading!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

It looks like you have a big pond Joe! How many acres of water do you think that is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 PM

hvy 1ton is on a distinguished road

The DEF in the combine can freeze. There is a heater to bring it back to liquid and the concentration of urea is low enough that it doesn't salt out. Probably affects the shelf life some, but i'd expect 6 months or so at least from the stuff in the combine tank. Don't run your combine anymore with out DEF or a tech might have reset the computer. Dunno what your harvesting conditions are like, but we had problems with the chaff being sucked into DEF tank through the vent lines under high fuel/DEF use in irrigated barley. Put vent filters on all three machines. Never had any troubles with the cart tractor. I think the 2 year shelf life with the temp between 10-85F if you can manage that. There's a steep mark up on the 2.5G jugs down here. If your worried about storage 55G drums close to the same unit cost as the totes. I'll call the boss and see if he ever figured up the our DEF usage last year.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

Galvanized tanks! lol Joe get with the 1960's

yeah that is a big problem with those. I see metal ones still do that. only real way to get away from that is to go fiberglass and even then there is problems.

I noticed the other day that the water along highway 39 where the "Great lake of Saskatchewan" is along the highways is pretty well up to the 2011 levels again. The sask highways government is doing sweet all to get that water to go away. Their solution was to raise the highway so that the water was no longer over the road. they didn't put in guard rails and the reflectors are all broken off now.

last week my mother sold her chevy tracker to some nice people in weyburn. they didnt make it back with the vehicle. an rv swerved and they went off the road, hit the huge rocks they dumped along the highway and flipped over several times into the water. luckily the tracker righted it'self on the last flip or they would have drowned!

i got a feeling its going to be another wet wet year up here...

this was 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdLu_cKyW0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdLu_cKyW0w
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Stuff; 05-13-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

That's pretty wild, I've seen white caps on the great lakes and small lakes around Michigan but I've never seen them on a highway before! How deep is the water in the fields around the highway?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

That seems like a good amount of water. Time to throw in a few trouts.

Is it my understanding that wheat doesn't grow well in wet soil?
Old 05-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

deep enough there was a car in the ditch for a whole year and nobody noticed....
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 05-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road

Thats beautiful country.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Hi Joe, when you are planting your fields using GPS how do you program it to know where the rows end etc? Do you make a manual run around the perimeter? Sorry for all the questions, I've had friends and family who've owned farms so I've grown up visiting them. But they weren't as large as yours. Thanks for posting this is interesting reading!
Yes, I manually steer the perimeter & set my A & B line. And I manually turn around at the headlands & around other obstacles within the field, like sloughs, rock piles, power poles, ect. The GPS autosteer holds a straight line for no overlap... it doesn't drive any programmed course around the field, you still have to be alert where you are & where you're going so you don't run into stuff.

Earlier in the week, somebody smoked a power pole & brought it down north of town... dicking around on their phone or sleeping... seems to happen nearly every yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTech9 View Post
It looks like you have a big pond Joe! How many acres of water do you think that is?
I don't know... it stretches about a mile in length & varies between 1/4 & 1/2 mile wide. The deepest point might be 7 or 8 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
Galvanized tanks! lol Joe get with the 1960's
My dad bought that tank back in the 80's & would haul it in the back of a 3-ton grain trk, back in the day when sprayers were manually unfolded/folded, haul water & chemical to the field was much easier than winging up to come home & do it.

I made use of the old galvanized tank the last 5yrs, but it's unusable now. If this body of water ever disappears & I have to go back to well water, I'll get a black wall plastic tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadieman View Post
That seems like a good amount of water. Time to throw in a few trouts.

Is it my understanding that wheat doesn't grow well in wet soil?
This water body only accumulates from spring runoff, there's no creek or spring adding to it. A couple of dry yrs & it will be empty again.

Wheat grows better in wet soil than dry... everything does! Untimely rains can have dramatic effects on quality & disease. Last yr was 17 inches rainfall & I had a fantastic hard red spring wheat crop in both yield & quality. But my amber durum wheat just exploded in yield & the quality was poor... durum is a very temperamental crop that takes almost perfect weather to get both quality & yield from... I haven't grown much durum in the last 4 yrs b/c it's been wetter than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH429 View Post
Thats beautiful country.
Yes it is Jason... and the best part is there's very few ppl around.

It rain @6am & again @7:30am this morning, a bit of water laying about... chances of rain again this afternoon, I might be sitting all day. I got started seeding brown mustard yesterday, got Big Red stuck! I had to pull the pin & then using 70 feet of tow strap & chain to pull the drill from various angles to get it out... I had to roadgear my tires twice to clean the mud from them... this is one of the hardest pulls I've ever had, it was a bit worrysome, I was out within the hr, rehooked & seeding again.

Where I'm seeding now is so flat & gumbo clay, it's hard to tell where the mud might be until I'm in it! That gumbo is like snott, so sticky & slippery. The surface will look dry, then all the sudden the crust lets go & SURPRISE! you're ****ed!!! Being there with the sprayer the day before, I can usually feel out those spots & flying at 22mph, I'll blast through it without sinking much. But it's 100' booms & a lot area each pass I don't drive on.

I made up a sprayer vid a couple days ago, I tried to load it last night, but it stopped at 80%, it must be too big. I gotta re-do the edit or make it a 2 part.

Joe
Old 05-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Joe, I hear ya on that damp clay, been fighting some myself!
Cheers, Neil.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

How is planting going Joe?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 PM
BANNED

I finished the main part Sunday night... liquid fertilized my winter wht Monday & saw how bad the broadleaf weeds were getting already, so I did in-crop weed spraying Tuesday... then went to do some custom spraying glyphosate that night.

I have a self draining 75acre slough bottom that I got seeded Weds, I put it to oats & have a cattle farmer interested in taking it for either green feed bales or silage.

I have a couple of 10ac sloughs that are probably a wk to 10days to dry out if it don't rain much in that time, but tomorrow is forecasted rain to start some time in the morning & be possibly an inch worth in 24hrs. The cut off seed date is June 20th, so if I don't get it done by then, I won't do it.

My phone has been ringing since Tues to do custom spraying with glyphosate, I've got about a 1000ac to do. But it's been quite windy Weds Thurs today, so I've done none of it... I look out the window just now & the trees are still swaying quite a lot. Lots of crop everywhere is now through the ground, gotta be careful about drift... I farm in a block, there's nobody within my perimeter & all my land is fenced, so there is 10'+ grass berm separating me from my neighbors' lands, I've never had spray drift cross the fence and so far (knock on wood) I haven't killed any of my own crops using different chemicals... as in what I use in my oilseed crops (flax & brown mustard) to kill broadleaf & grassy weeds - including previous yr cereal that has now volunteered would kill the cereal crops planted next to it... but there again I've changed things from the way my dad did it 6yrs ago - he used to have 80ac or so strips all across the farm of various crops so if a hail storm came through he would still have some of each crop in another area... vs today I farm in big blocks - one corner is all mustard, another corner is all flax & last is all spring wht & winter wht... not very often I get hail, last time a bad one was 99, which got about 2/3's the farm.

I loaded out the last of last yr's flax on a Btrain this afternoon... wait to get paid a month from now... my last cheque came from headquarters in Ireland. Other than that, it's been pretty slack since the last couple days... Gosh I love this life - go hard when I have too & goof off when I don't.

Joe
Old 09-09-2014, 09:56 AM
BANNED

Oh what joy to wake to this morning.

I've been cutting one day a week the last 3wks, being rained out same day I get started again. I've managed to go Sat, Sun, Mon & got a few acres done. Just the last 2dys the trk has been able to get around the field & we were dumping on the go. Before that the trk had to stay at the road & I was carrying each hopperfull out to it... it's gonna be a s.o.b. when I get to the 1,5 mile long strips. It'd be nice to have a grain cart... but to spend 50G's on a tool that I may only use once... but oh the fuel & def fluid I'm gonna burn up without it.

To date I'm about 10% harvested... 2012 I finished harvest 4dys ago.

Joe
Old 09-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Hi Joe I could use some of that snow right now it is to hot here. Ed
Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Another inch of accumulated moisture from Tues-Wed's snow & rain (total since planting is now 18 inches), the trk was just barely getting around the field with one hopper dump off the combine. Sunday I was cutting around the edge of slough & one side of the combine sunk in the mud, I was 3/4 full. Fortunately the unload auger was pointing to the field & the trk was able to pull under, but it still took Big Red to get the combine out.

If we could go more than a week without rain, maybe the soft conditions will subside, but in the short term I'm hoping this will work to keep the combine cutting crop continually all day. Most fields are within a mile of a bin to unload. The tricky part to learn is backing up to the auger to unload with no outside mirror on the left side of tractor cab.

It's not warming up much & looks to be cloudy till Mon-Tues. I use two hopper bins with aeration that I fill up, dry grain for 4-5 days, then move grain to non air bins. The hopper bins are presently full, so that'll give me some practice in the coming days to figure out how to do this safely & quickly and hopefully the hiredhand is a quick learner too.

I rigged up this air gauge on the supply line to keep track of air pressure. The pressure doesn't drop to 60lbs for a couple hrs which keeps the maxies off, but I should install the bolts in the brake pots so the brakes never come on period. I thought maybe the gauge would also be helpful to see how much air is maintained for the air ride, but is doesn't. The air gauge down on the lower left of trl frame is a weight gauge, it shows about 10lbs empty & 54lbs is about 2/3's full (15mt or 550bu), which is what I filled it to hooked on the trk for a legal load. I intend to just put one combine hopper (320bu) + whatever additional volume it is while unloading on the go. Then tractor/pup zooms to the bin to unload.

The ride height is connected to the center axle. I'm not sure yet whether to disconnect leveler rod to prevent loss of air while travelling & keep leveler rod in a fixed position?

The yard is pretty wet too! I spent a few thousand last fall for pit run fill & grading after a wet summer's hauling out making ruts everywhere. I got nearly all my grain out during the winter so I didn't tear up my yard this summer... trying to get harvest in might destroy it again.

My guard dog is a bit camera shy.

Joe