RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 AM

sandfarmer is on a distinguished road
Default Pics for Izzy (and all) to appreciate

I just KNEW I had these pics somewhere and finally ran across them last night! I have been wanting to show the Eagle to Izzy and show good examples of "B" models. The Blue one was my first semi tractor, we got it when I was 16 and it was a United van lines truck, white and yellow, these pics are when I had just freshly painted it blue when I was 18 years old and the truck was 20. (77 model w/350 Detroit/9 speed, no power steering) The other one is an 81' model Eagle and was purchased from my cousins, it was still over the road right up until we bought in in 1998. It was original paint, had chrome steel rears. 400 cummins and a 13 spd.

I sold the Blue one to a friend of mine who ran it in the ground and it drove itself to the salvage yard to end up in the truck crusher about 2006, I remember him taking it by the shop on the way to the salvage yard with blue haze of smoke trailing. I still run the 30 ft. Frame dump to this day. The Eagle I have lost track of, not sure of it's fate but it was local for a few years that I know of after I sold it in about 2004.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pics for Izzy (and all) to appreciate

Shame the blue one ended up in the crusher. Especially if it was still drivable. What was wrong with it, other then the engine getting tired? These old trucks can always be mechanically repaired. A fresh engine, and it would have been on it's way again. Unless it just wasn't cost effective to fix up. Could have sold it for a resto project, for someone else willing to invest the money?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Journeyman

plow jockey is on a distinguished road

Love this old school iron!! These old IH COE's are one of my favorites.I learned how to drive truck in one of these.Thanks for posting!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM

sandfarmer is on a distinguished road

Yep that's what I learned in too, the blue one to be specific is the truck I mastered the skill in. Espee, I can't remember exactly what went wrong with it but it was internal, that had been a real good engine, the 350 is basically a 318 w/turbo and it wasn't a slobber box like most Detroits of that era were known for. In the end he had a $1500 Truck, fixed up it may have been worth $3,000 and I think he got $1,000 for it at the salvage yard so I guess it falls into that "not cost effective" category considering it wasn't that desireable of a truck with no air and no power steering.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Man, those are some "PUUULLING" trucks. A friend of mine, back in the day, had a Transtar w/o sleeper and that truck could haul some rice......on soft ground.

Rob
Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Dads was a trans II - had a cummins a turbo and a 10sp. I remember the pans seat being a block of ice in the winter. Lol
Thanks for another trip down memory lane. I should dig through moms photos and see what I can find.

Izzy
Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

I love the old iron too my dad had an 81 cabover transtar single axle he used to pull loads of foam to south carolina and Kentucky. And he owned a 77 daycab fleetstar single axle.i went with him as a kid to those southern states with the daycab and no a/c.... wow thanks is right for bringing back memories
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting the pictures! My first OTR job was in a Transtar II with a shiny 290 and a ten speed, I liked the truck and its looks but this one was gutless
Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

I love the look of the old Fruehauf and Trailmobile trailers.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM

catmack is on a distinguished road

Feels good to see old truck pics, I built the model of the COE when I was a weeone, I wish I still had all my models from childhood. When I turned 18, I thought I had outgrown this stuff so, I gave them to my cousin in MO. and I don't think he has them anymore. Dad had a '69 Brockway COE with a 318 and 10spd., I will try to dig up the pics as well if anyone is interested. It would make a great model!...Dad went from that to a 76 Pete COE with the 8v92t and the 13over on air and that was a smooth and strong pulling truck, big difference from the reyco susp./ hard mount cab Brockway. The 92 series were not the slobber boxes the 71 series were either for that matter.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Last edited by catmack; 03-19-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add comment