RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:14 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default HighWay 61 Diecast

Since they are one of the few places I've found with older style trucks how close are they to 1/16. I've never seen one up close and I don't want to spend $150 just to find out they are way smaller than 1/16. I like the WPL 47 International cabs but they are really small compared to a Tonka and look even worse next to a Bruder...I think they would make a nice conversion.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:39 PM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HighWay 61 Diecast

I thought somebody would have responded to you about it by now. I don't have the WPL truck, but do have the JJRC one, (looks exactly the same, but I don't know if it is). I'll give you dimensions of the cab for the JJRC and the Hwy 61 GMC. Length from rear of cab to front of grill: JJRC is 6-1/2" and Hwy 61 is the same. Width at fenders: JJRC is 5" and Hwy 61 is 4-1/8". Height from bottom of running board to top of cab: JJRC is 3-1/2" and Hwy 61 is 3-3/4".
I'm actually surprised, because I would have guessed that the Hwy 61 truck was bigger. A lot of the 1/16 tank folks use the Hwy 61 trucks (repainted in German colors) and none of them have ever complained about them being too small, so I'm guessing that they probably ARE pretty close to 1/16 scale. -Mike
Old 09-27-2020, 03:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I'd wondered about a couple of their trucks and vans, but like you couldn't really justify spending that much to find out if the scale didn't work

It's really interesting how some stuff works great with 1:14 scale in 1/12 or 1/16 or even 1/18, but other stuff in closer scales look horrible together.

This kinda shows some comparison of the Wpl / Jjrc / henglong vs highway 61
https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...way+61#p234777
Old 09-27-2020, 06:09 PM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road

Post took awhile to appear, and by that time I'd already written a second one (which I'm now editing). I have a "used" GMC flatbed that you're welcome to, if you want to try and mess around with it. I think I have all the parts; but they're not all attached to the truck anymore, (I did some cross-kitting to build a German Ford).

Last edited by sassgrunt; 09-27-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: double post
Old 09-28-2020, 09:05 AM
Journeyman

Frizzen... just FYI but WPL has a smaller tire now the only problem is it only comes with the metal wheels it's the DAKA tire it's about the same size as the Lego tire so I think I might use those for my Tonkas .
Sassgrunt... Thanks for the reply, it sounds like the Highway 61s are about the same size as the WPL/JJRC ...Can you send me a PM about your truck... I might give it a try
Old 09-28-2020, 11:55 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

That's pretty cool, i didn't know about the Daka tires. It gets really old trying to sift through the chinese sites having 20+ listings for the same tire that's only available in Hard or Soft compound and they most don't specify what you get. Then the thing you were looking at yesterday can't be found ever again...

I guess i should try to dig into all that again, to get some better parts under my 1930s truck.
Maybe something like the jjrc Q65 jeep Steelies with NDT tires, or the Aluminum 5 D-hole 6 lug wheels? Don't want too modern looking.

Last edited by frizzen; 09-28-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Journeyman

If stuff isn't to expensive I order it and see what it looks like...the tires look like a win for me very close to the right size a little on the firm side but that works for a dump truck, and they seem pretty sticky they should have some decent traction ...I created an account on Banggood and have a wish list, whenever I find something that looks even a little intersting I put it on the list so I can find it again...
Old 10-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Journeyman

Well SassGrunt sent me his truck. They did suck a great job on the detail on these trucks. It's a shame the scale is so far off... they are closer to 1/18 maybe even a little small for that....you would think the diecast guys would be more accurate than that.
In any case at some point I'm going to try and RC this truck, not much room but it's to nice not to do something with it... I have a bunch of projects already lined up so not sure when I'll get to this one but I'm going to try it.....And I want to thank Sassgrunt again for sending me this truck