RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:30 AM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road
Default Less help now a days

Well is it me or is there less activity on this forum , then a few years ago? Dont get me wrong I love the site, but it seems that all the help and knowledgeable advice is not here anymore. Its almost like people are being botched to answer questions. I maybe all wrong and that's fine if I am tell me to shut up lol. But it just seems this way to me, not everyone is a expert on everything r/c construction! Sometime the questions may seem dumb but that old saying there is no dumb question. I say this because sometimes know the answer but looking for a different outlook on the problem, and also I'm not the neatest detailed builder , and somertime I see what people do to solve the same problem and am like wow, that's really cool!

Well that's my rant dont take it wrong please
Old 05-23-2020, 02:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Less help now a days

I think it's basically down to Facebook 1 - Forum 0...

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Facebook and a couple other places took most forum users.

You ask hydro questions, i know some hydros, but i don't know model hydros. I'd rather let someone who knows it better answer. They don't seem to be here often...

---

Plus it already looks like i post TOO MUCH compared to everybody else. I'd rather not be "That Guy" who seems to have to post ***** all over everything.

Last edited by frizzen; 06-23-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:09 AM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road

I have zero experience with hydraulics or metal fabrication, so I'm no use when those questions pop up. I try to help out whenever I can though. I think these forums are absolutely vital to the rc scale hobby, as information from years back is available and searchable. It's sad to see forums struggle like this. My build has lived through the death of two Norwegian rc truck forums, and I would never have been able to get into the hobby or keep my motivation up without somewhere to share mistakes and learn from others.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:25 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the Rc construction hobby. The Tonka, Nylint, and Structo conversions are what drew me in... The work of Frizzen, SmaullHaul, RVJimd, just to name a few have really helped me a lot, and Wombii is right I have gone threw the entire 20 pages on the construction page....a few times trying to pull more information out....PhotoBucket... doesn't help but the information is still there....I mean SmallHaul posted his build thread for his first Tonka conversion in 2009
Old 05-24-2020, 06:13 PM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road

I have zero interest in Facebook. I used to frequent both the Garden forum as well as this one, but now this is the only one I can enjoy (and I hope it continues on for many years). I was completely floored by the quality of workmanship and the creativeness of the various conversions people have done, and I continue to be.
Living in Hawaii, I cannot get to see long-haul trucks, or those with sleepers on them; as 99% of the stuff on our roads are skeletal trailers with 20, 40, or 45-foot containers on them, (mostly Matson, but also Pasha and a few less-numerous ones). So for me, having a forum of people who have first-hand knowledge of what's out there on the American roads (either through observation or by having driven them) is truly valuable! -Mike
Old 05-25-2020, 06:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

I LOVE this place, & have zero intentions of abandoning it! I will day Facebook is a bit easier to post on, & I think a lot of people have migrated over there. I use to spend a LOT of time there, but am finding myself drifting back here more than there. If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have ever got into the RC trucking & construction side of the hobby!
Old 05-26-2020, 01:37 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Most ppl nowadays only have a phone for internet access, and this place aint real handy to use with a phone & transfer pics from a photo host site... it's been a burr for many ppl for yrs not to direct upload like you can on FaceBook, pics & vids. Currently this forum cost about $500/yr as is to keep it turned on... buying more and more photo storage could easily surpass 10x that in short order, it's just too expensive to be a consideration... so many ppl left 3yrs ago when photobucket change their user policy from free to subscription... screwed up the forum big time with many missing photos.

A lot of the ppl that started this place 10yrs ago are either not in the hobby anymore or doing a lot of less of it. What's on FaceBook is many newcomers looking info on the cheapest rcs available. Those that would be considered veterans there are all buying china rcs & spending their time discussing where to buy, how to fix 'em... not much for scratch builders of construction equip there other than 3D printed parts & electric drive.

Plus it's summer time, why are you not outside?

Joe
Old 05-31-2020, 11:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Most ppl nowadays only have a phone for internet access, and this place aint real handy to use with a phone & transfer pics from a photo host site... it's been a burr for many ppl for yrs not to direct upload like you can on FaceBook, pics & vids. Currently this forum cost about $500/yr as is to keep it turned on... buying more and more photo storage could easily surpass 10x that in short order, it's just too expensive to be a consideration... so many ppl left 3yrs ago when photobucket change their user policy from free to subscription... screwed up the forum big time with many missing photos.

A lot of the ppl that started this place 10yrs ago are either not in the hobby anymore or doing a lot of less of it. What's on FaceBook is many newcomers looking info on the cheapest rcs available. Those that would be considered veterans there are all buying china rcs & spending their time discussing where to buy, how to fix 'em... not much for scratch builders of construction equip there other than 3D printed parts & electric drive.

Why I'm not outside.............the short answer, my Governor is an IDIOT! We're still on lockdown, & are not allowed ot have our club gatherings. It's more fun when the whole club gets together! We are able to have small gatherings, but can't get the whole club together, as that isn't allowed..............yet! HOPEFULLY soon, we can get together again!
Old 06-14-2020, 08:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post

Joe is very correct. Facebook is the biggest issue BUT Facebook is worthless for builds only good for staged picks. The other big Issue for me is the photo sharing thing is a pain now adays every since Photobucket pulled there fast one no board has been the same all boards have taken a hit to Facebook and it stinks.

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

Old 06-15-2020, 08:15 AM
Green Horn

wolfws6 is on a distinguished road

Paul is correct about uploading pictures to the forum. Pain in the rear end! I've been using the pic sharing site imgbb.com to upload. I still try an answer questions and post to this forum. I don't want to see it go away as it has so much great material to research.

The issue on Face Plant and Instagram for me is no one does any research on their own. I get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. What is it? How much did it cost? Where can I buy it? How much you charge to make me one? You want to sell it? I always point people with questions back to this forum to try and drive up traffic.

This forum is a pretty tight community and I will always go out of my way to help any one on here! Thank you all for helping me out in my builds!

Sincerely, Josh Wolf aka Wolfws6, Jasper Clever
Old 06-15-2020, 04:48 PM
Journeyman

I've been looking at some of the faceplant pages for WPL and Bruder conversions, I tend to look at everything and on those pages you have to scroll thru everything ( unless there is a way to pick up where you left off that I don't know about) I like it here because I can go back to the page I left off on. and I can save a build thread to go back to .....all around I prefer a page like this.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:38 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss the old days on here. Derailing rcp's threads
I delete more stupid posts there then were ever removed here����.. My favorites are when people ask about the guy in canada who dug out his basement.
I wamna do the same with a huina����
Old 06-22-2020, 09:56 PM

tamiya fan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Less help now a days

I agree, so many knowledgeable people on this site a few years ago.( It was hopping!) Now it's at a slow pace, sorry to say. I don't like F.B. either. Photobucket did cause it on all site.(Evil) Maybe it will come back in the future? Also thought maybe the hobby has slowed down to?

It would be nice if things were the same. I miss the ideas, the builds, beautiful trucks, etc. I stay in the background most of the time, but thought I'd share my thoughts.

Wombii - Thanks for your build and very nice detail on fire truck!

Any way some of the greats answered the issue right here.

Every one have a great year!
Old 06-23-2020, 09:23 AM

Ulrich is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,
it´s the same for me. The time was very busy and i forgot to keep you updated what´s going on here ion Germany. I´ll try to fetch up. As a start I just posted a current built. Any Question is welcome!
Keep up the good work!

Old 03-06-2021, 06:44 AM

Joe25 is on a distinguished road

Was really sad to see how it's gone, I unfortunately fell by the wayside with life taking over but I just bought my first kit and was super excited to get back into this.... **** this site is what got me interested in the first place
Old 03-06-2021, 05:36 PM
Journeyman

I know what you mean..... Glad you could make it back , looking forward to your build.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:59 PM

Joe25 is on a distinguished road

Just finished up the base build (test fit to start understanding lol) gonna break it down and start paint and modifications... may need help once its time to start loading pics though
Old 03-07-2021, 02:49 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

still pop in regularly, but none of my projects ever got finished, so I'm far from knowledgeable. Been focusing on 1:1 scale stuff before I return to models.