RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 10-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Just in case I can't get bed up I made the dump cab cover removable. It's snug and might have to modify or remove paint if the paint layer makes it too tight. Originally I was planing on just having magnets but as I bent the metal it was perfect snug fit.

And going with this style stack and location.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

After blasting
Old 10-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Problem I encountered with locking axles. At the end of the Allen tool you can see some slight scuffs, that is where the locker arm make contact with hoist .

After taking them apart and understanding how the little dog works to lock I may have to machine a new part or find someway to relocate. It will work the correct rotation if I were to have the arm on the bottom side of axle. But that may not be a great idea as any rocks or dirt could damage it. Have to play with it some more. Or would it be fine to have that (first drive axle) permanently locked? Would that mess up with turning ?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Your truck is coming along nicely! Chaseracer's Autocar has both axles locked all the time and it steers fine on dirt while carrying a load. Jason noticed it plowing the front tires once he had the pup loaded up though. All I can say from personal experience is that without at least one of the axles locked all the time they get stuck on everything while running empty!
Old 10-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well that is assuring, I think I will lock the first drive axle then. This is going to be run in dirt most of the time.

My welding skills are improving, brazing on the other hand,,, well need more time!!
After looking around at all the different dump trucks if came to the conclusion that any thing is a go. Many different types, styles, functions so I built a small side box to resemble a fuel tank. This is going to hide the hydro pump. I'm going to make one for other side that will have a small oil tank inside with fittings hidden.

Can't really see it but I put an x bend in side, light from camera hid the pattern.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Lookin good!

You're right about the many different styles, shapes and sizes. Impossible to build one wrong! The more I look on the net for a certain style, the more I realize that very few are the same in every way even when they come from the same manufacturer.

Keep the updates coming!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

What kind of tire glue can I use? Plastic on back wheels and steel/aluminum? On front wheels.?

Working on second tank today. Wanted to play outside but windy and chilly. Plus wife took dogs so I've got house to myself-have to enjoy things when the pitas aren't here!! (Pain-in-the-a$$'es) lol!!
Old 10-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Why glue? How about ruffin up the bead groove on the rim instead? I have yet to glue any tires on any of my trucks.

Like your dump bed - looks really good. Nice welds too on such thin material.

Izzy
Old 10-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

I have a set of super singles that some one glued and thought I could change wheels, not happening! I would not glue them if you even think you'll want to swap wheels or tires.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I just assumed they needed glued. Thanks for keeping me from the glue. Yes with other faster race trucks I always glued tires and just figured once they were glued they were married for life. . Do you guys run foam in front tires? Reason I ask was this being a load hauler figured they would roll of bead fairly easily. First timer here limited brain cells!! The alcohol killed off all the weak ones and only healthy strong ones left, just not many .
Old 10-21-2014, 01:04 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Air rifle BB's work best, not only do you get a stiffer sidewall so you don't peel the steer tires off turning when loaded, but also the added weight when empty helps the trk get around much better. The BB's in your rear tires will help lock your tires to the rims so the rim doesn't slip in the tire, get 'em packed in as tight as you can!

I've found that locking the rearmost diff in a 6x4 works best so it doesn't impede on steering too much.

Joe
Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks , I've done that with rock crawler, and happen to have a large bag of leftover bb's to use.

got a new pump, will hide in tank.

I was going to use the steel tank for the actual hydro tank but my solder skills are slightly better than my welding skills. To make a sealed tank. The small fitting on top is a breather vent.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Is that the RC4WD pump from their dump truck? Looks like a nice small pump.

Great work on the tank! You need a TIG!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for sharing that dump bed pic in other post! Yes I need a tig welder. Only problem is I don't need it for anything other than my toys. Have been looking around for a good ac/dc , I don't know much about what to look for, any suggestions? Would be used on just thin stuff, 1/8".

And yes I got a small pump from rcbrim, pump and esc, same as rc4wd. I'm sure pump will be more than enough. Still not sure about hoist mech but only testing will tell. If it doesn't work out I'll be pestering you for a box and hoist!!!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

You may not weld like Reg but you sure keep a good work pace like him Ralph .
The dump truck is coming along great. I wish I had remote locking diffs for mine. I have the rear axle in full lock and with a heavy load I notice a major drop in turning radius. The soft front tires don't help but I like the using BB's suggestion. I can quit wasting them trying to hit the black squirrels in the yard and put them to better use now. Lol.
I've never glued any of my tires. I've hauled my quad axle with 45 cans of BUD on board and never spun a tire so why glue?
Enjoying the build and can't wait to see it getting loaded and haulin dirt!

Mario
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Thanks for sharing that dump bed pic in other post! Yes I need a tig welder. Only problem is I don't need it for anything other than my toys. Have been looking around for a good ac/dc , I don't know much about what to look for, any suggestions? Would be used on just thin stuff, 1/8".

And yes I got a small pump from rcbrim, pump and esc, same as rc4wd. I'm sure pump will be more than enough. Still not sure about hoist mech but only testing will tell. If it doesn't work out I'll be pestering you for a box and hoist!!!
No problem. You think that you won't use a TIG for anything else until you have one. No smoke, no sparks... it becomes pretty appealing in a big hurry! I haven't welded much mild steel with it but I definitely think MIG has it's leg up on TIG with that. Especially if getting the job done quickly is important. TIG takes more time, gas and patience. My welder is a 225amp Lincoln. It will weld 1/4" no problem but anything thicker is a stretch without preheating. I also have a Miller Diversion 165 that I started out on. It was replaced with a diversion 180 I believe but it is a nice little beginner AD/DC welder. I think the newer version comes with a foot peddle as well as the finger tip adjustment. There are also a few of the 3 in 1 welders out there now which seem to be popular but I have no experience with them. Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a welder. Someone else on here could probably give you better advise.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Wannabe

andyathome is on a distinguished road

you need a tig!
I picked up a three in one tig a few years back it does stick ,tig and its a plasma cutter.
I have a large mig and I used to build my own 1:1off road race cars, got sick off all that dust from slitting blades, found a small miller 3 in 1 and haven't looked back , welds mild steel , stainless ect.
I would be lost with out it now, I built my dozer using the tig ( all stainless) and the welds are by far cleaner especially on the little things.

just my two cents.

cheers andy
Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
You may not weld like Reg but you sure keep a good work pace like him Ralph .
The dump truck is coming along great. I wish I had remote locking diffs for mine. I have the rear axle in full lock and with a heavy load I notice a major drop in turning radius. The soft front tires don't help but I like the using BB's suggestion. I can quit wasting them trying to hit the black squirrels in the yard and put them to better use now. Lol.
I've never glued any of my tires. I've hauled my quad axle with 45 cans of BUD on board and never spun a tire so why glue?
Enjoying the build and can't wait to see it getting loaded and haulin dirt!

Mario
Well I have been saving ammo for some time now!! Lol!!!

And his reaction when I told him !!lol!!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And just when I was deep in thought the wife came home with big dummy!! And yes my head is in his mouth!!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well enough of the horsing around,,,

I've got a question, in the pics below my screwdriver is pointing to the track pins. They are made of brass and the track shoes and links are aluminum. I thought that the aluminum would wear first, not brass. But it looks as if the brass pins are wearing faster, faster than I thought. I brought the d11 in for the lights to be installed and gave it a good going over. I have noticed some slop in tracks and knew they were wearing as the front wheel assembly was getting further out on the track tension.

This one you can see the original size, 1/8" I suspect this one has locked to that link and rolling on the other one.

This one you can see on the inner link the amount of movement between links.

Now I had thought the aluminum would wear first, but it looks as if the brass pins are wearing out. That would be great as they are sooo much easier to make than the links!! Does this sound right to you guys? Brass going faster than aluminum? Over winter I will be tearing down and checking tolerances on links. Hopefully they will be acceptable and just pins needing replaced. Future pins will be made out of steel. Sound right? Ultimately I would love to have links and pins made of steel but that's a lot of metal splinters for me