RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:15 PM

Grip_Runner is on a distinguished road
Default New builder from the UK

Hi all I'm a new member from good old sunny England. I'm building my first rc model a Scania 620r as I need something to build now that the family has banned me racing. Its going to be a light metallic blue and grey and will eventually have a low loader trailer with either a racing truck on the back or a digger haven't decided yet. If this goes well then I will be building another for my dads birthday but that will be done in the gold star livery. I started building it at the weekend having bough the main kit and a mfu but I didn't get the servos battery's or remote as I was told I wouldn't need them for a while. Read the manual and they are the few first steps in the manual so do you guys have any recommendations? I have been told that some remotes can be programmed to run multiple models, is this function generally reserved for high end controllers and is it practice to set up?

thanks for any help I will probably need a lot
Old 02-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New builder from the UK

some you need to think about is how many models do you think you will build in your life then add the rc fever factor and mutiply by 4 or 5 lol i have 2 models so far and i have a dx-18 radio wich can run almost all rc machines except maybe the grader lol and has 30 model memory so more models than i could afford haha
Old 02-04-2017, 06:21 PM

thanks for the advice jack i bought a spectrum dx6e remote today, a pair of battery's and a charger. I got some savox servos but I forgot to get a speed controller are they universal or would I need to get a specific one for my controller or servos?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Speed controls are pretty universal as long an you get one rated for your size motor or bigger.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanks frizzen I have just got to work out what size the stock motor is and get one ordered then would it be worth while getting one that's rated slightly higher than the motor?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:23 PM

probusa2013 is on a distinguished road

welcome to the board mate o/ I'm from uk as well. I got the grand hauler coming tomorrow and like you I have no servos or anything either, so maybe I should order some up as well.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:09 PM

Thanks probusa, I take it from your screen name your a biker?
If you follow the instructions in order then you will need them really early on if its similar to the Scania anyway as the shifter servo is used as a cross member on the chassis rails. I can put up a picture of my chassis so far to show you. I think it would be rather awkward to retro fit them as well . The guy in the model shop I have been using seems pretty knowledgeable and recommended getting a reasonably heavy duty servo for the steering as there is a fair amount of weight working against it. the savox ones I bought were £26 each but they have metal internals rather than plastic ones I could have gone for cheaper but I don't want to have to strip it down when I have built it because I put cheap parts in, a lesson I quickly learned when I was racing. Hopefully we can help each other as we build our trucks up. I am intrigued to see how the grand hauler build differs from the Scania build or weather its just cosmetic.
Hope you enjoy your build and good luck mate
Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I believe the semi motors are usually 540 / 550 size, with 27 to 65 turn armatures. So most 1/10 scale esc are more than enough.

Steering servo should have plenty of torque, like a hs645mg. but shifter servo can just be a standard cheap one.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 PM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road

you do need the servos early so i would have for the build since it is a pain to install later on
Old 02-09-2017, 06:18 PM

has anyone order parts from rigid rc and had them delivered to the uk as I'm thinking of placing an order for some shiny bits don't want to spend a fortune on a supplier only to be let down as I have been done before. So I like to find out if other people have used them and what their experience has been like before I commit to spending a lot of money online.