RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Farm Tractors and Implements

Farm Tractors and Implements Discussion of farm equipment

Old 03-22-2014, 10:49 AM

mgb is on a distinguished road
Default MGB's John Deere

Hello everyone, I've been away from RC for a little while, just lurking on this site and a couple others. Still amazes me what you are all accomplishing, so when I saw an ad for a tractor on the local Kijiji for $10, I couldn't pass it up. This is my first build on this site.

Last year I converted the Bruder dozer and had a blast, now I am gonna try my first Farm Tractor conversion. Not sure what model JD it is, brand is Ertl and it appears to be about 1/16 scale, but I don't have much to compare to. I forgot to take pics before tearing into it so the first few pics is looks a little odd . Hope this works

Tore it apart, was fairly easy, mostly screws with the exception of the cab which was somewhat difficult. With a little cutting, it too came apart.

I will be using a Max Stone axle for the drive,I would like to get the front end loader working but will go for drive and steering first. Epoxyed on some hex's to the rear drive wheels.

Started carving up the chassis, the first cut is the hardest, but after you have gone beyond a certain point, cutting into it isn't hard at all . Axle fits nicely now, just waiting or my supplies to come in before I can do anything else; so thats it for now.

Comments welcome and Thanks for Looking!!

Last edited by mgb; 03-22-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Apprentice

Grainfarmer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MGB's John Deere

Nice project!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Off to a good start! Any more information on the Max Stone axle? Is it a modified version of some mass produced axle? It kind of looks like it is.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:28 PM

Thanks Grainfarmer, hope it turns out. Espeefan, the axle is from the max stone 1/16 crawler, basically a clone of the Losi MRC. I modified it myself as the max is set up for 4 wheel steer. Not sure it will hold together, they are not the best made products but I had it so I'll try it .
Old 03-30-2014, 05:05 PM

So, I was going to use a Servo converted to continuous rotation to drive the axle and another older servo for steering. Everything went together and then kind of failed; the steering servo is no good, must be stripped, the drive servo is too slow. Back to the drawing board on this one.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info, MGB. Not that I can help you a lot with driving the rear axle, but take a look at some of these gearhead motors.

http://www.pololu.com/category/22/motors-and-gearboxes

Small, and pretty powerful for a lighter model. I've purchased a couple motors and they are of good quality. It might be worth looking into.