RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Mechanical tech

Mechanical tech This is for the mechanical parts of a model. Gear reductions, Axles, Transmissions, General drive line

View Poll Results: Would you buy this if it went into production?
Yes I would buy a metal version 13 34.21%
Yes, but I would like a cheaper plastic version 18 47.37%
No, there are better options out there 7 18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2016, 06:52 AM

Doggy is on a distinguished road
Default Tamiya bolt on reduction gear

Hi guys. Some of you maybe read a thread about my 8x8 truck, and this thread is a part of why I didnt update my 8x8 for some time.

So the story is simple. Since I wanted my 8x8 to drive as soon as possible, I decided you buy tamiya 3 speed gearbox, and just connect it to my transfer case and drive. I will update 8x8 thread with more details about that, and problems with that idea, and I will put here a solution.

I found that the main problem with tamiya 3 speed gearbox, used on my hilux, my 8x8, and on 4x2 and 6x4 trucks, is the speed. This trucks are just too fast to be scale. I googled and I see many people swap motors, others put brushless in, so they cant use MFC esc if they bought it earlier. Than other go as far as removing 3speed gearbox, and just puting geared motor in. And then buy new sound system. As I see it, many spend to much, change to much, and I cant see why??

I started modeling reduction gear to fit on my 8x8 tamiya 3 speed gearbox to slow it down. And after first prototype test, I stopped working on 8x8, and designed complete kit for tamiya trucks.

Here are few 3D photos.

I installed it on my 4x2, and started testing it. I just wanted to try 3D printed parts, and when I got the design right, make it all metal on CNC.

Fiting is fast and easy. Just remove 4 screws on the back of the gearbox, and remove prop shaft cup. Bolt the kit on with new longer bolts, and put a new shorter prop shaft. Thats it, 5min job. My truck is stock out of the box MAN 4x2. I just put 3S ESC in, and I use 3S lipo. Only reason for this is, I dont have 2S batteries at home.

Now the problem is, i guessed wrong, the part that it will brake soon as its 3D printed. IT DID NOT BRAKE. So I tried to push it harder, so it would brake. And I failed. Its still running.

This last photo was too heavy, susspension was on the limit, and truck pulled it like it was empty.
As I couldnt brake it, I made another kit for my friend so he can put it on his scania 6x4 with mfc. He likes to brake stuff, so I tought maybe he will do it. And he also failed, but we were amaized with the change this small kit did in transforming his mfc powered truck. And I dont know why tamiya didnt make it like this from factory as its super fun, and milion times better to drive. We will try to shoot a nice video to demonstrate how the truck work.

Let me know what do you guys think about this? Do you share my toughts about this speed problem on tamiya trucks.

Tags
3speed, gearing, reduction, tamiya