RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Farm Tractors and Implements

Farm Tractors and Implements Discussion of farm equipment

Old 11-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough
Talking My scalish tractor build

Being a farm boy it was inevitable that I would build an rc tractor. I don't have the skills most of you have so bear with me. I started this quite a while ago and never really finished it because I wasn't real happy with the body. So it got put on the back burner, then we built a house and moved and this and that and maybe one day I'll get on it again. But here is the build and pics as best I remember it.

Some of you may know me from Scale4x4 or RcCrawler. I built a set of axles using a maxx diff and axle shafts inside a pvc pipe housing. I built a rock crawler using these axles and decided to use one for a tractor. I narrowed up a set of 4 AE BFT tires and wheels, made a set of dual adapters and I had a rear axle.

I decided to use what I had laying around and grabbed a stampede tranny. I rotated it 90 degrees and mounted it to the chassis. I also used a GD600 gear reduction unit. The chassis has evolved from sketch to cardboard to thin alum sheet to 1/8" styrene. I was worried about the styrene, but it was as stiff if not stiffer than the thin alum sheet.

Time for a front axle. I cut it out of 1/4" x 3/4" solid alum bar stock. I hung it under the chassis with the same bar stock. I used some axle bushings for the pivot that is slightly wider than the axle so I wouldn't have an binding issues. I used some nitro pede steering knuckles and axles so I could put a bolt through the knuckle. I get some pretty tight steering with my setup.

I narrowed up some stock rustler front tires and rpm revolver wheels to get the look I wanted. I also add a drawbar.

Now to the part I'm not happy with, the body. I'm not partial to any color or brand of tractor, so I took some cues from various tractors. The grille is similar to an old oliver, the cab is like an old allis chalmers, and some old john deere for the overall stance.

And there you have it. It travels at a walking pace, but has lots of torque. I just doesn't have the weight to pull a lot. Maybe one day I'll finish it and add some weight to make it better.

Post your comments, good or bad.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 AM

Iron Art is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My scalish tractor build

Looks good to me, just add the details and some paint and you will have completed a nice project, good work. Fred
Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

Looks cool, nice work.

Clever idea using the traxxas parts to make the rear end.

"No load is too Small"
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Looks cool! It actually looks like one of the later Minneapolis-Moline tractors. G-1355 perhaps?

Brian
Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 AM

peterbilt65 is on a distinguished road

brian i think it looks great i was just wathcing trucks and tracter pulls the other night on youtube you should finish it ! i like how you are using the recyled plastic sheets just think it doesent have a big carbon footprint it could be a john deer and call it goin green . neil
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

It looks just fine to me and hay who says it has to look like a particular brand. Paint it up and make up your own name and model. Once again great job.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

I like the originality of your tractor......completely scratched built.

Rob
Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Southgate is on a distinguished road

Ya know something, I get more inspired by watching somebody really BUILD something like this, and make the best use of what's at his disposal than I do seeing someone simply lay out a bunch of cash to buy components and assemble a more "realistic" replica. Calling yourself a farmboy means that you already know what it takes to get something to do a job, cuz farmers do that all the time.

I noticed your model has an extremely tight turning radius. I really wanna follow this build. Keep at it please! Dan
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I think it's awesome! Seriously. All hand made, from common items, and basically envolving no serious tools or machining equipment, at least that I can tell. These kinds of builds are just as enjoyable to watch and read about. Making something from nothing, with just the basics, and you know what? The results look great! I could see this model passing off as a really nice scale machine, if you ever did choose to pattern the hood, fenders, and cab, off of one particular tractor. I like the fact that the whole drivetrain is engineered and pieced together with popular, common, off the shelf RC components. Nice work.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Ok this is way too cool I really like it looks like a old IH to me witch is good in my book i like your ideas on how to do the rear axle great Idea for sure along with the the front and rear tires the flots on the front are cool..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 AM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

I think you have done a great job. Hang some weight on it for traction and paint it and put it to work.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Green Horn

Rogue is on a distinguished road

Wow !!, what a extremely cool build. Low buck, low effort, and the fact that you didn't set out to recreate any particular manufacturer makes it even more unique.

Very impressive job.

My other truck is a Komatsu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Mazdaparts, look's great! My kinda project. Have you considered a pulling sled to go behind it? Yes I'm a tractor puller. Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

looks awesome!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

UPDATE! I hope I don't offend anyone but I sold the tractor to fund another project. But don't be worried it is in very capable hands. I don't know what the plans are for it but I'm sure it will be fantastic, as long as there aren't any bedazzler things on it. LOL
Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Well if my math works I would say Paul will do a good job on finishing it.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaparts View Post
UPDATE! I hope I don't offend anyone but I sold the tractor to fund another project. But don't be worried it is in very capable hands. I don't know what the plans are for it but I'm sure it will be fantastic, as long as there aren't any bedazzler things on it. LOL

LOL! Well I will try to keep up with the level you have started with on it and complete it were all are happy with it..Thanks much for parting with it..

Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Something kind of clicked when Mazda said that he sold it. He just had to have sold it to Paul. I don't think it could be in any better hands to finish than Paul's. With his collection of vehicles, it will fit right in. Looking forward to seeing it in paint!!

Lynn
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Wannabe

Paul, did it arrive in good condition? And did the instructions I pm'ed about attaching the duals make sense?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
Something kind of clicked when Mazda said that he sold it. He just had to have sold it to Paul. I don't think it could be in any better hands to finish than Paul's. With his collection of vehicles, it will fit right in. Looking forward to seeing it in paint!!

Lynn
Thanks much Lynn.. I was in the shop working on it and Ace truckers trailer and Ed's new truck last night. When I get my camera back Ill get picks up of it. I replaced the 2 chassis side plates from the plastic to 1/8 Alum to stiffen it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaparts View Post
Paul, did it arrive in good condition? And did the instructions I pm'ed about attaching the duals make sense?
Yes your packing is the best I have seen yet truly.. You did a get job it showed up in perfect shape! And yes I got the wheels on just fine thanks for the Ins.