RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Volvo EC300D

Thanks guys. I took it over to the inlaws place last night and dug in some bark mulch. It worked pretty well in that verses the wet sand I was digging to begin with in the videos. As far as my skills go I'm sure they will improve but I still have the occasional brain fart on my 1:1 mini when I'm running it too so we'll see!

Reg
Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

Great work Reg. You do one fine job on these builds!

Ben
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 04-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Green Horn

Vanisle is on a distinguished road

Nice work Reg! Glad you got it going. Now you can hire it out to clear land.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanisle View Post
Nice work Reg! Glad you got it going. Now you can hire it out to clear land.
Not quite yet Richard... I need a truck and lowbed to transport it first
Old 04-22-2012, 02:05 PM

RCKiwi is on a distinguished road

Man - that last vid looks awesome! I reckon if you sat an operator in it and turned down the volume, you'd be hard pressed to say it was a model at all!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Just watched the vid ,Outstanding job on the Volvo !!!!
Love it, awesome build ,congrats on your excavator!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys,

I was hoping to get some play time in this afternoon but now it's raining here. Just finished pulling over some trees that were too close to my shop with my Dad and his 955K. I think it is more fun to play with the 1:1 stuff and build the models any way.

Well I guess I'll go do some welding

Reg
Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

wow Reg ... just watched video looks great man.. if I ever finish this friggen autocar . I will have to head out your way and you can throw a load or too on it .

Last edited by chaseracer; 04-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseracer View Post
wow Reg ... just watched video looks great man.. if I ever finish this friggen autocar . I will have to head out your way and you can throw a load or too on it .
Thanks

Sounds great to me you're not too far away!... Are you finished yet? How bout now?

Reg
Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road

no not far away at all you are in Sooke right ? lol no not finished yet .between running a real Excavator all day (job) and I am ball field 6 nights a week right now so time limited .. but soon.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I had a little time for some digging yesterday before it started to rain. I started a cut in the side hill for a new haul road.

http://youtu.be/x6F8w6YukSM

Reg
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Well Done Reg!!! An xllnt accomplished build with not much for special tools, but rather oodles of skill! You should be proud!

Now to tweak the radio to get it running at optium performance!

Recap:

What voltage are you running?

Are your valve servos opening at 100%?

What size plumbing (ID) to your cyls?

What pressure were you running at in your last vid?

What was its finally weight tally?

I use the dual rates for the stick/bucket/swing, no such option on the dx8 for the throttle (boom) unfortunately, but can adjust throttle curve. I have the boom servo valve @100% for up, but approx 60% for down so the boom doesn't drop too fast. Using Dual Rates on the other three, you can tweak the valve openings for various digging operations.. like when loading a trk & don't want too fast of movement vs everything wide open for digging & piling.

I couldn't hear any pump esc freeze in any of your two vids, but it could happen with the brushless if rpm drops too low. I assume you have the pump on Aux 1 or 3? If 3pos switch is down to turn off pump, you could set the middle position to operate @10 to 15% so the pump rpm never fully stops. Then with the Mix on, pump with go to full speed with the servo valves are activated. With Mix off, pump will turn slow for more precise movements.

Joe
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Well Done Reg!!! An xllnt accomplished build with not much for special tools, but rather oodles of skill! You should be proud!

Now to tweak the radio to get it running at optium performance!

Recap:

What voltage are you running?

Are your valve servos opening at 100%?

What size plumbing (ID) to your cyls?

What pressure were you running at in your last vid?

What was its finally weight tally?

I use the dual rates for the stick/bucket/swing, no such option on the dx8 for the throttle (boom) unfortunately, but can adjust throttle curve. I have the boom servo valve @100% for up, but approx 60% for down so the boom doesn't drop too fast. Using Dual Rates on the other three, you can tweak the valve openings for various digging operations.. like when loading a trk & don't want too fast of movement vs everything wide open for digging & piling.

I couldn't hear any pump esc freeze in any of your two vids, but it could happen with the brushless if rpm drops too low. I assume you have the pump on Aux 1 or 3? If 3pos switch is down to turn off pump, you could set the middle position to operate @10 to 15% so the pump rpm never fully stops. Then with the Mix on, pump with go to full speed with the servo valves are activated. With Mix off, pump will turn slow for more precise movements.
Thanks very much!

So to try and answer all of your questions...

12 volts, I believe so, 5/32 OD not sure of ID, 30 bar in the GoPro vid, and 50lbs.

I have the pump running off of the gear switch and the mixing set so that the pump is off in the up position if the sticks and Aux3 are centered (Aux1-2 operate the tracks and Aux3 thumb) and wide open in the down position. I'm using a 3300kv motor and an 11:1 reduction so the pump has no problem starting and running very low rpm with little stick movement although it may be a little slow up top. I will mess with some more stuff as I get more familiar with how it operates as is. Overall I am pretty happy with how it works considering the only thing "off the shelf" is the hydraulic pump(not including the drive). I'm buying a mill next week so hopefully I can do everything myself from now on. Maybe one day I will be furtunate enough to sell some of the stuff I make but time will tell!

Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Green Horn

mack kid is on a distinguished road

Great video liked the sound inside the cab. GREAT BUILD
Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Nice video-I like the on-board view. I think your operating skills are fine. With a little more stick time you will be an expert.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM
BANNED

3300kv x 12v / 11 = 3600rpm ..is that how it goes?

A 12v battery would be 13.5v, there abouts with a full charge = 4050rpm

5/32 is about 4mm, which may likely be 2.5mm ID.. virtually the same as I have.. but your hyds movement is so much slower.

I run on 4s lipo... 600kv x 16.8v / 2.5 reduction = 4032rpm

I'm at approx 24-26 bar. (manual suggested not to exceed 25bar)

I watched a vid of my 850 from last summer when I just got it running, the movement is noticably slower than it is today.. it must be just the way I tweaked the radio settings, can't think offhand what other variable there might be.

You could set your gear channel to be 20% to 50% when "on" and the Mix will boost it to maxium speed with 2 hyd channel movements.

I don't know, maybe I'm talking out of turn here and you don't want it different than it currently is.. ?

Joe
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

It is a little slower than I would like thats for sure but to honest I'm just happy to have it working at this point. I'm not sure what size pistons are in the Vario machines but these are 5/8 so when you open three valves at once it takes a lot of oil to fill all four cylinders. I figure with my KV, voltage, motor efficiency and power loss through the reduction it's turning less than 3K but I don't have a tach so.... I believe a bigger pump would have been better but I haven't experimented with different oils yet either. At present I'm running hydraulic oil which may be too thick? I've read that some guys use ATF but I've only tried that in the pump my father inlaw built so I don't know if it would improve my speed or not. I have the mixing set up now to be about 70% with one fuction and 100% with two or more.

Thanks for the input Joe, you have more experience running this stuff than anyone else(probably in the world) so it is interesting to hear your set ups.

Reg
Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM
BANNED

Boom & bucket are 16mm & the stick is either 18 or 20mm.. a bit bigger than 5/8.

I use Esso Hydraul 50 (comparable to a 10W hyd oil).

I started out with an ATF in my home made post pounder and I had trouble with foaming (likely b/c of the high rate of discharge), so I switched to the Hydraul 50 & it cured that problem! Not sure how well it might work with this application? After running a 5amp charge, there is a wee bit of foaming in the tank, that's usually after ripping, maxing out the pressure relief for the entire charge!

Probably your pump rpm could be considerably lower (25%) than mine, which is why the hyd speed is notably slower. You could go to 4s lipo @16.8v and then limit the EPA %'s in the gear switch & mixes to get pump rpm up to 4000. Also limit the EPA in the swing & track motors if they're not rated for that high of voltage & to keep them at a favorable operating speed.

I only know what I have used & your hyd system is quite similar to mine in almost every way.

Cheers

Joe
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Green Horn

Straywolf is on a distinguished road

Man oh man this is just excellent, i wish i had half as much talent as everyone here. Great Job!!!!

Mike
Old 05-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

My planetary drive on the hydraulic pump started to let go in the second video that I posted a few days back so yesterday I put together a new one. The drive that I used this time is all steel (the ring gear was plastic on the last one) and I only used one set of planetaries instead of two. The pump now spins at around 5k so the movement is much faster and it is way more fun to operate! I had my calculations wrong on the original drive reduction so it was turning much slower than I thought( around 1300). At least now I can dial in the speed better through the mixing.
http://youtu.be/vaaAnRBHK4I

Oh... I also got a new toy last week...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1000.JPG (30.0 KB, 102 views)