RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

I thought you had shown me those pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM

RCKiwi is on a distinguished road

I really enjoy seeing your machine setup's and the progressive machining shots. It's good to see a man in command of his craft. I look forward to more updates.
Glenn
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Here is the mockup of how the support tower fits into the roof structure.
The existing steel channels are not correct and have to be removed making way for the new brass sheets.

Setup for drilling and profiling

Thumbs pretty sore from drilling 135 holes.

Profiling

Ready for the angles to be riveted on.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Hello Steve you are making some progress I see. Are you going to be ready for Cabin Fever? That is a lot of bolts to drill and put in your eyes are going to be crossed when you get don with all that. You are doing some very nice work I wouldn't have the patients to do that that my problem I always want to get it done and see what it looks like. Ed
Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

A little update on my riveting progress. I finally got all of the angles made and all but 8 are fastened onto the brass sheets.

Milling 3-1/2'' angle to scale = .218''

One of the walking shaft bearings I made about 10yrs ago.

Drilling the vertical support channels.

A few angles almost ready to rivet together.

Tapping some 0-80 threads.

Installing the .040'' dia. rivets by the hundreds. These are squeezed
in a little press I modified.

The last angles fabricated and ready for riveting.

Mock up viewed from inside.

Outside
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

All I can really say is WOW! Beautiful work!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

it grows even more!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

The new updated towers and bearing blocks look incredible! Wow. So the time to cover all the inner workings of the machine is getting closer? Will you actually do it? It's really amazing to look at, and watch the drivetrain parts do their thing. All the design and engineering, not to mention the metal work that went into this model. Almost a shame to cover it with a cabin! I'm sure you'll make removable, but it's been a real treat to watch the model evolve through the last couple years. It just keeps getting better and better.

I will say I've learned a couple things from your machining process photos. Fixturing and drilling those tiny holes. What kind of adapter are you running for drilling the rivet holes? It looks like a mini chuck, but you are supporting the bit with a free floating collar of some kind? Any more info on that?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 AM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

It's called a sensitive drill adapter chuck. Allows you to feed the bit down by finger pressure.

Great looking work on the dragline!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Green Horn

Stefan is on a distinguished road

Very impressive work, Steve! I like the idea (whether intentional or not) of accepting some partial "simplifications" to have an operating model as soon as possible, and then later perfecting the parts concerned.
Stefan
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
All I can really say is WOW! Beautiful work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztruck View Post
I enjoy watching machines working very much, but watching you work on the machine is inspiring. XLNT job.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
it grows even more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
The new updated towers and bearing blocks look incredible! Wow. So the time to cover all the inner workings of the machine is getting closer? Will you actually do it? It's really amazing to look at, and watch the drivetrain parts do their thing. All the design and engineering, not to mention the metal work that went into this model. Almost a shame to cover it with a cabin! I'm sure you'll make removable, but it's been a real treat to watch the model evolve through the last couple years. It just keeps getting better and better.

I will say I've learned a couple things from your machining process photos. Fixturing and drilling those tiny holes. What kind of adapter are you running for drilling the rivet holes? It looks like a mini chuck, but you are supporting the bit with a free floating collar of some kind? Any more info on that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
It's called a sensitive drill adapter chuck. Allows you to feed the bit down by finger pressure.

Great looking work on the dragline!

Thanks guys. Been wanting this part done for quite some time.
Espeefan,Pugs is correct on the sensitive chuck. I had to use it because I couldn't get all four plates to hold down tightly together. I broke a couple drill bits before I used the finger chuck.
I intend on covering the frame and have some of the panels removable, but it will take a while still because I still need to make the curved roof trusses and the operators cab that contours with the main roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Very impressive work, Steve! I like the idea (whether intentional or not) of accepting some partial "simplifications" to have an operating model as soon as possible, and then later perfecting the parts concerned.
Stefan
Glad you noticed my simplified parts. When I started this machine several years ago, I never dreamed I would be building this as close as I am to the 1:1 Help from others and getting permission to crawl all over the 1:1 has made a huge difference on my build.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Very nice work as always steve-will the bearing support blocks be fastened to the brass panels or the main frame or both?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Very nice work as always steve-will the bearing support blocks be fastened to the brass panels or the main frame or both?
The blocks are attached to the brass sheets. Also there are channels under the bearing that are welded to the main frame. Some of the weight is transferred to the roof supports just like the 1:1. Now it forms a giant arch from one side to the other.
Last night my son and I pressed the walking cams back on the shaft and I'll soon be able to walk it again. There is still several hours of work needed to build the triangular braces that support the towers from flexing back and forth. That'll be my next project when I get back at it. There is so many things I have to get done before any of the house gets built.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Green Horn

cdm is on a distinguished road

How huge is that thing... also are you by any chance PAmining?

The waiting games are real.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
How huge is that thing... also are you by any chance PAmining?
No relation to PA mining.
The machine is 44'' tall to A frame
35'' wide to the outside of it's shoes
house is: 37'' long
Boom: 120'' long
bucket: 7''x9''
total weight: 275#
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM

mog is on a distinguished road

wow keep up the good work on her. i should get back to some models but i seam to be spending all my time working on my CAT'S these days in hope of having some nice CATS as nice as your's.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Craftsman

Hi steve-there is one thing I had forgot about until I saw it on post#567-picture 8. That is the boom hoist. Could you talk a little about that. Does it work good, time to go up & down,etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Hi steve-there is one thing I had forgot about until I saw it on post#567-picture 8. That is the boom hoist. Could you talk a little about that. Does it work good, time to go up & down,etc.
The boom hoist is made as close to the 1:1 I could build. Gears are the same tooth count but the motor is larger (physical size) than I would like. It works great though. I power it up with a bench type power supply because I don't have a on board supply that puts out enough current to raise the boom. When the boom is all the way down on the ground the motor struggles a tiny bit but once up past about 5deg. it works less. I timed it and it takes about 18 minutes to boom up to 30deg. where I work it most of the time. The first tries with the new boom was 25deg. but you had trouble digging the roll because the bucket had to be really tight to pull it up out of the cut.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Craftsman

I know what you are saying about the motors steve. It's a shame when someone like you is building an exact scale model and you have to use these "HUGE" electric motors. But I don't see any solution for that in the near future. You are making good progress on the dragline and I am really looking forward to seeing more.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Hi Steve I am glad you got some pic of the shovel for Modelman I appreciate that. I hope next time everything runs smoother for me and I will have the Deere excavator, but I will have it for August show. Once again I would like to thank you and Scott for all the help, I really appreciate it. I thought the show was great and I picked up a lot of nice tools and parts. Hope we can get more involved in this show it could get to be like the German ones. Ed

Last edited by JAMMER; 04-16-2013 at 03:02 PM.