RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Metal forming & tools

Metal forming & tools If it bends,twists,welds,cuts & turns metal.Post it here

Old 01-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sherlie /Taig /Maxnc or bench top router ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
I don't have to much add to the thread, but I thought I'd throw a photo of my mill into the mix. I can only tell you that it's been a great little machine for me, so far. I've been extremely pleased with it's performance, especially after adding the DROs.

When I first got it, there were some issues I had to address, and the spindle bearings started going bad on me within a couple months, but I changed them out for some quality bearings, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. I also added thrust washers to both the X and Y axis screws, and a heavy 1/2" steel plate, which runs, and is bolted to the entire length of the column, to make it more rigid. With these three improvments done, it's become a really great mill, handling everything I've throw at it so far. I've been really happy with the purchase. I would have gone larger, if I could, but I keep the mill in the basement, and I wanted something I could carry down there by myself. It's weighs almost as much as I do, and though not really easy to move around, I can manage, if I have to. The next mill I buy, I hope will be a Bridgeport! I can always dream.

The added mass, bigger tables, and table travel, compared to a little Sherline mill makes me feel I made the right decision. My mill is bigger, but not to big, if you know what I mean. I felt that even a Sieg X3 would have been to much for me. Once the head on my mill is trammed, I really don't change the set-ups. Otherwise, I love how easily the Sherline can be trammed!

This photo is when it was brand spankin' new. That's why everything is so clean! Normally there are chips everywhere!
Hey Nathan, how is that DRO working out for you? I just bought a mill for Christmas. Thanks, Neil.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:54 PM

jgmick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sherlie /Taig /Maxnc or bench top router ???

Gents:

Several comments, first, what I know and then what I think

I have a Sieg, running for about 3 years. Nice machine with some caveats.
Good points: Runs, cuts metal nicely. Pretty much hassle free as long as the operator doesn't do stoopid things. Big enough for me to get useful things done (Yes, bigger is always better)

Bad point (singular) Lousy Z repeatability due to the way they spring loaded the Z axis to take the weight off of the Z leadscrew. Z can move around up to 0.003 inches from run to run. Real pain.

BIG good point. All of the lead screws have ballnuts on them. I would not personally consider any NC mill without ballnuts. IMHO. The backlash problems will eat you alive.

Commentary on open vs closed loop. You probably simply don't want spend the money for a "real" closed loop machine. That feature adds cost like mad. A middle approach adds encoders on the lead screws to tell you if the stepper missed a step. Almost never happens unless you run at real high speeds or have really big cutting loads. True closed loop uses DC motors for drive and glass scales for position readout. That is what the big boys do and you pay big for that.

More commentary: If I had it to do over again I would get a Tormach. Better built, better design, costs more money than the Sieg. If your budget can stand it take a look.