RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:17 PM

Jakyat is on a distinguished road
Default Led help please

Alright, im aware there are lots of good threads for leds. I've read through plenty of them but still don't have the answer I'm looking for. For my build , i will have about 30 different led lights running them all with 4 different circuits;
1) 10, rear facing (4, 8mm & 6, 5mm3volt) all on one circuit.
2)cab clearance + another 6 clearance (3 on ea side) so 11, 3mm 3 volt on this circuit.
3) 4, 5mm leds- headlights
4) 4, 8mm leds- work lights
My thoughts; i want to use 4 different channels on my X- plus module and supply it with its own power source, rather than the main reciever. I have purchased some reciever activation switches specifically for the purpose. My thoughts were , by doing it this way, would save me from figuring out all the resistor values...... my question is, how many volts should I supply the x-plus module with?
Old 01-26-2017, 11:48 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Led help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakyat View Post
Alright, im aware there are lots of good threads for leds. I've read through plenty of them but still don't have the answer I'm looking for. For my build , i will have about 30 different led lights running them all with 4 different circuits;
1) 10, rear facing (4, 8mm & 6, 5mm3volt) all on one circuit.
2)cab clearance + another 6 clearance (3 on ea side) so 11, 3mm 3 volt on this circuit.
3) 4, 5mm leds- headlights
4) 4, 8mm leds- work lights
My thoughts; i want to use 4 different channels on my X- plus module and supply it with its own power source, rather than the main reciever. I have purchased some reciever activation switches specifically for the purpose. My thoughts were , by doing it this way, would save me from figuring out all the resistor values...... my question is, how many volts should I supply the x-plus module with?
Try going to spectrum's web site, but off the top of my head I think the receivers, (spectrum), are between 3.5 volts and 6 volts output so i would think that that is what you would power the x- plus with, but not sure. Or you could try calling Horizon hobby.

David
Old 01-27-2017, 03:49 PM

Jakyat is on a distinguished road

I have spoken with Horizon hobbies. The module is supposedly good for 3-6 volt I would just like to know how much voltage I should hook up to it to run the lights without blowing them, having them to dim or running battery dead quickly?
Old 01-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Check out the All about Led thread at the top.

You're probably going to want to split the truck into parallel circuits of 5 or less lights. Make a bus out of anode and cathode sides, throw 1 resistor on the power side going to each of those.

The 10 rear lights i'd split to 5 right, 5 left each circuit with limiting resistor and run them in parallel off the same switch.

Cab i'd put the 5 roof on one, 3 sides, other 3 sides. You may have to tweak resistor values some if you're not happy with how even brightness is between top and sides.

--
If you are working at normal RC recciever voltage(7.2v stick pack going into an ESC with a BEC for 4-6v output), a 150 ohm or greater LED will safely get your LEDs working. You won't get peak output, but it gets your unknown lights scavanged off something going without freeing the smoke. Also no math if you go 150 ohm to 450 ohm resistors

If you are running red and white leds together on an output like head & tail lights: Make a red circuit and a white circuit. the red need a bit higher resistance or the whites won't work. So my 150 ohm goes on the whites, red gets something 200-400 ohm to start with.

Last edited by frizzen; 01-27-2017 at 05:33 PM.