RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Clubs/Groups and Events > Central Plains Mini Truckers Club

Old 10-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Clubhouse?

That's sort of what I'm planning in the future . I'm slowly out growing my basement shop , 1 more machine and I gota lose some weight . I have plans to build a bank barn/shop with the fab shop below and the whole upstairs dedicated to a layout with a closeable breezeway between it and my existing barn for the quarry . be enough room for a Dragline I'm 1-2 years at least for that though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road

I will be willing to donate most of my shop towards a permanent layout,that is if I am able to hold on to it(financial issues). But if not i have enough beams to build my shop again anyway. I could put it somewhere on one of the farms my dad owns.The onlllllllly problem is we are way south out of the mix with all you guys.I said earlier in this post there is older run down houses everywhere .Just gut the areas that everyone wants to play in and then you will have bathroom,shower for those who want to camp out like was said earlier
Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

The size of the building would be the choice of the individual, what size may fit on his property & what he chooses to afford.

I'd come visit you Chris, a new area of the continent to explore for the 1st time, although you might be stuck with me for longer than a wkend.

Joe
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

Good ideas being generated. I still would like to hear from more local guys that haven't chimed in as to what they would want/expect out of this "dreamland".

Outdoors for equipment? All those guys get to only use the facility for part of the year even though they still have to to pay year-round fees? Being a guy that could care less about the trucks, I can't agree with this idea. I'm all for running roads indoors for guys with show trucks. The summer/winter months are just too unbearable for me to be outdoors around here.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

I know a guy that put up a smallish 30x45 building and did 90% of the work. Still cost him $20,000 by the time it was lit and heated.

Guess the better question would be to go along with Joe's idea. Is there someone in a central location who owns land we could build on?

You local guys do realize you've got a Canadian in here that's more excited about this than you right??!?!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 AM
BANNED

I mention pole building Nate, as in posts in the ground, tin strapped, dirt floor - no cement! Your friend @$20k includes cement floor, correct? But then, the wider you go - the more expensive it gets too. And X the $1000+ roll up door(s) too, don't need it, less drafts, cheaper to heat/cool. Tar paper or 3/8 plywood for non dirt roads for the show ponies...

I'm just throwing ideas out there to get ppl thinking of how to do this for the best bang for their buck! It's not like I'll ever be a regular... quite likely a visitor once every 3 to 5 yrs, providing it's an early harvest & chances of good driving weather.

Joe
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

I have been giving this a lot of thought but there is nothing around me that would really work that is affordable. I have a place to build a building but not the cash flow to do it. I definitely think it would be great to have a place to go and play and not have to worry about setting up and tearing down.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy View Post
Good ideas being generated. I still would like to hear from more local guys that haven't chimed in as to what they would want/expect out of this "dreamland".

Outdoors for equipment? All those guys get to only use the facility for part of the year even though they still have to to pay year-round fees? Being a guy that could care less about the trucks, I can't agree with this idea. I'm all for running roads indoors for guys with show trucks. The summer/winter months are just too unbearable for me to be outdoors around here.
Sorry Nate, what I was trying to say was, for the guys concerned about outgrowing the indoor space and needing lots of room. an outdoor space available in combination with indoor would help reduce indoor usage for a large portion of the year. If you only have a indoor space / high traffic issue 3-4 months of the year, that's pretty good .
Don't forget what winters are like around the Great Lakes and mid west... We could have plans to go truckin at the clubhouse but Mother Nature can say otherwise , we all know how quick snow storms can hit.
Just another point how location is so important. You can't rely on us 6-7 hrs away guys in the winter. I hate to say it but, the area that supports the most members wins and probably nowhere near my neck of the woods.

By the way, Plowjockey lives in Fort Wayne!

Ps. I own a shelf queen but have no problem running on gravel or dirt. I do it everytime I run in my yard. I'm sure there's lots more guys who would rather run outdoors weather permitting....

Mario

Last edited by Supermario; 10-30-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Journeyman

woodhog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
The size of the building would be the choice of the individual, what size may fit on his property & what he chooses to afford.

I'd come visit you Chris, a new area of the continent to explore for the 1st time, although you might be stuck with me for longer than a wkend.
Be glad to have ya joe,or anyone for that fact for as long as anybody want to stay.This is alot of good ideas keep them coming.Ithink there is not enough guys chiming in .It seems that for this to be affordable it will have to be a bigger group of guys than what is talking now.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
I have been giving this a lot of thought but there is nothing around me that would really work that is affordable. I have a place to build a building but not the cash flow to do it. I definitely think it would be great to have a place to go and play and not have to worry about setting up and tearing down.

Travis
How about ugly and undescriptive? double wide shipping container's, welded together, and center wall's cut out. Just my low budget point of view!
A couple of High cube 53's, High 9' wall's, not the 8' version's. I don't know what they sell for in your neighborhood? But cheaper than a building?

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Clubhouse?

Before you invest in shipping containers I'd look into the cost of portable classrooms. A shipping container is just a cold metal box, while the portable classroom usually has heating and air-conditioner systems built on, interior lighting, and windows. A lockable doorway with the option of adding a dead-bolt or a hasp make this a simple way lock the unit. You can always add a security system of your choice.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Control Trucker View Post
Before you invest in shipping containers I'd look into the cost of portable classrooms. A shipping container is just a cold metal box, while the portable classroom usually has heating and air-conditioner systems built on, interior lighting, and windows. A lockable doorway with the option of adding a dead-bolt or a hasp make this a simple way lock the unit. You can always add a security system of your choice.

- RCT
LOL! I forgot about those, and I've moved a few of them. Good sugestion!

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Clubhouse?

I was looking at the photos in the “Big Rigs and Construction at Country truck show” thread when my mother pointed out that the venue they were using is a school gymnasium. It has at least 5,000 sq. ft. of unobstructed space and central heating/air-conditioning.

She and I talked about the possibilities of using the local school gym. It would have ample parking, school security, ease of access, and plenty of in-door/out-door usable space for the trucks with built in bleachers for seating or shows. You would also have restrooms and water fountains available, not to mention that many of them have vending machines installed.

One bonus is the local school could develop an r/c club that could be mentored by your local club members. Simply by sponsoring the local r/c club you could possibly get free use of the facilities.

I’m aware that it wouldn’t allow for a permanent building site for roads and structures, but it would make for an easy meeting location with little cost for start-up. If your structures were made to be moved with ease and the roads were made like the puzzle road system developed be the guys “Down Under” then this would seem to be the answer for the moment.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ead.php?t=5006

Just something to think about.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

If someone offers up their property and we all chip in to buy the building, then the land owners portion is the future taxes and general upkeep.
I know it sounds crude but an out house, portable generator for simple lights and a way to charge batteries is the bare bones. As we progress we build on. Driving a well in some areas is rather simple in order to have plumbing. And heck we have professionals amongst us that can teach us about all kinds of things.

The strength of the building is realitve to the size of the roof and the area it is placed. Deep south hardly gets snow therefore simple rafters and metal sheeting is sufficient. But up by Joe we'll need a good hardy fortress to keep the snow off our backs!

I wouldn't mind posts here and there to help break up the roof span.

As to how to afford such a thing.
we draw up the basis of the club then start paying dues. Set up a club meet to discuss the finer details and layout some hard design ideas for the space (at the future spot?). Collect enough dues over several months (winter?). Add in sweat equity for the first meet and we get posts in the ground and a partial roof up. A meet a couple month later and we get the rest of the roof.

Those that would rather buy materials than pay dues can (some can find really nice auctions to get good clean materials) just show up with the pre determined materials, no suprises
Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Backyard enginier

As for location - I like the idea of on someone's property best. The downer is that the individual must be willing to put up with us for the long term. But since it is on their property and the club only has part ownership (short term) we must repsect their peroperty - and conduct ourselves appropriately.

As for guests - I think if a club-member wants to bring a guest there needs to be some pre-determined idea of who can show up un-announced (wife's, girlfriends?, direct family) and who should be requested (budy of a budy of a budy) If we think we want to have our stuff stored there - I would hate for someone to bring a distant quaintence who talks a little too much to some shady characters and walla - our stuff is gone. Security systems really only work to keep the honest person at bay.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 PM
BANNED

This is where I got my 36x78 barn in the 2001 & a couple of big cattle sheds too 36x98. The Goodon crew built the open front sheds in a day each & the barn took two days. They had a fork lift & hydraulic post hole digger for machinery and a couple of levels, hammers, cordless drills & a skill saw for hand tools. Very simple construction.

http://www.goodon.com/

Something for the future owner of the building to consider is how high do you want to go, what might you use the shed for in the future when it's no longer a rc clubhouse... the higher you go, the more costly to insulate, heat and cool.

Joe
Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

The thing about security. Shouldn't the clubhouse just be a permanent set up area and not a storage area for rigs? The cost of a system vs how many rigs are stored might be outrageous. What if only 5 guys are willing to store their stuff and the system cost 10 grand to install and monitor?
I'm just throwing up numbers, no idea the real cost of a security system that all would be comfortable with. My point is, a clubhouse is expensive enough to start and the luxury of storing equipment on site is really not a necessity or crucial to make it work right?
With no toys in the building, who's gonna steal rubber pellets, dirt and some plywood?. Vandalism would be the main concern only.

I'm like RCT.... Chances are I won't be able to enjoy the clubhouse but am enjoying the discussion, the ideas and possibility of such a great idea coming to life
Heck, I'd even be willing to be a long distant supporter and donate to the cause! After all, we say this forum is like a big family..... Well sometimes a few family members may need a few bucks.

I'm a RC supporter and proud of it!! Lol

Mario
Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

The quonset hut style of steel buildings are easy to assemble and are quite strong. Like these. http://www.americansteelspan.com/?re...FYQ7MgodP0QADQ
http://steelarchbuildings.com/catalo...Fao7Mgodw30AVw
Old 11-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Backyard enginier

Neighbor down the road took his carport unit and spray insulated and added a wood burner. No reason to have a huge space if multiple smaller units could be linked.

The smaller add as you go keeps cost low but makes future use cruddy.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:32 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

dang if i boot out the snowmobile club i'm renting to now we would have a perfect spot

just keep in mind the hidden costs involved in this.heat electricity.insurance and maintenance i have 4 out buildings to maintain and it isn't cheap to do. and the tax assessment just adds to it
i just priced a 40x60 pole barn.bare bones with sliding doors and it came in at $35000

also if you build one on someones land you have to think about ownership...who owns building in case of foreclosure,sale or pissing contest if there is a problem like divorce
i was thinking of selling one of my buildings to the snowmobile club with a 99year land lease and found there is tons of legal stuff to do if i was to do this.
best way is to build and sell the land owner the building back for $1 for legal escape...

just my thoughts from my experience's

RIP FREDDYGEARDRIVE