RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Once again you have outdone yourself Nathan. You know how I feel about clear lenses but it's your truck and that's why they're clear! I can't wait to see the mudflap hangers because that will change the look again, truck also deserves to simple classy chrome mudflap weights back there.

No offene Nathan but my God those Wedico diffs are crude looking! Keep up the build, one of the most custom machined, unique builds to date.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Nathan, it's looking real good. Keep the updates coming!
Thanks Kent! I appreciate the comment. I need all the motivation I can get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Once again you have outdone yourself Nathan. You know how I feel about clear lenses but it's your truck and that's why they're clear! I can't wait to see the mudflap hangers because that will change the look again, truck also deserves to simple classy chrome mudflap weights back there.

No offend Nathan but my God those Wedico diffs are crude looking! Keep up the build, one of the most custom machined, unique builds to date.
Thank you Craig! I'll be the first to agree with you. The Wedico axles are pretty crude looking. Hang tight. They may not be under the rear of the truck for much longer. I would love to get some mudflaps with a chrome Cummins 'C' on them (where am I going to get that?!), but I'll probably go with your advice, and keep it simple and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Haha! I just happened to look right as you posted I think! I had to look back through your thread to make sure I wasn't dreaming about the window being cut out. Then I was like...OH OH something happened!
Reg, uh oh is right! I've had my goof ups building this truck, I just don't talk about it much. Some parts I made, then made again, before I got them right. I hate remaking parts, but I hate doing a mickey mouse job more. I'm such a perfectionist, even the smallest mistakes irritate me to no end, and so I don't quit till I get things right. It's a character flaw!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Okay guys, here's a small update. Fuel tank saddles! These things, I tell you, they test my patience, no matter what kind of truck I'm building. Machining the ones used on my Wedico Peterbilt was way tougher, but these Kenworth style tank saddles are not going quite as easy as I thought they would. Never the less, I've made some headway.

I made a test piece first, to see if my ideas would even work. It didn't turn out to bad. The test piece is the only one in the following photo that has been machined to a finished state (more or less), and it's standing upright.

The other five pieces are still in a semi-raw state.

I made five, for those 'oops, just in case' mistakes. I only need to get four right. One can be a practice piece. Here is the first test piece, bolted to the truck. The radius is larger then it should be, but hey, that's why it's a test piece! The tanks are going to be 1.5" in diameter, when it's all said and done.

Don't mind the oil and 'luminum chips! I guess I didn't wipe them all off, for the photo!

Just a little mock-up photo to see how everything might look. The quarter fender is not permanently mounted yet. I'm not sure on the exact placement yet, but it does look decent right where it's at. The fuel tanks are going to be shorties. I like the way they look, and it's fitting, for a day cab.

And a couple of the quarter fender.

Now I need to finish the rest of the tank saddles, and start making some tank straps. That's all for now. Thanks for looking!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nothing taste better than custom made parts!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nathen, this is awesome. I love all the aluminum and the machine work you have put into it is second to none.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Looking good! Your machine work is top notch!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
The Man The Myth The Ledgen RUSS OF DA LOUD!

russisloud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Now I need to finish the rest of the tank saddles, and start making some tank straps. That's all for now. Thanks for looking!

the tank saddles get easier after you make a few hundred of them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM

dirthalr is on a distinguished road

You never cease to amaze me. Awesome as usual.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 AM
Apprentice

Mama Sue is on a distinguished road

Absolutely amazing....
Old 02-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

Your metal working is fantastic! It really gives this build a lot of realism. Keep up the great work!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Nothing taste better than custom made parts!
Thanks Craig! Glad you like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaf343 View Post
Nathan, this is awesome. I love all the aluminum and the machine work you have put into it is second to none.
Hey, thanks Keith! It has taken me some time to get everything machined up, but I feel the end result is worth the effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Looking good! Your machine work is top notch!
Aaron, thank you! I do my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russisloud View Post
the tank saddles get easier after you make a few hundred of them
Russ, I imagine they do get easier. I'm glad I only have to make one set for this truck! They've taken a lot of thinking, and some trial and error. It's amazing sometimes how something that seems simple to machine actually takes a lot of time on the mill to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthalr View Post
You never cease to amaze me. Awesome as usual.
Thanks Jimmy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded_Heavy View Post
Oh GOD, GET OUT!!! This is Amazing!!! I had was at an all out shock at first thinking what year or when did Wedico release that cab. Then as I read on I learned where it came from in which I have never seen or came across one of their models in raw form. Needless to say its quite on-par with the Wedico stuff in the quality and finish, the size also mates nicely with the WDC layout. I had always wanted to see one of these side by side with a WDC as I knew their scale is quite close, and I've also seen some of their trailers mated with WDC's in the pass. But this is the ultimate as its one of their cabs mated to a WDC layout. Truly amazing fit and finish. The **** with paint, the look good as this sit in raw form. And also because of it being in a raw finish it also highlights that these trucks is fully metalized and the real deal, and it also really shows how top quality these trucks really area.
Thanks Loaded_Heavy. There isn't much Wedico left in this truck. About all that is Wedico would be the rims, tires, front axle, and the blank frame rails. I'd say the rear axles are Wedico too, but I don't know how much longer they are going to be holding up the rear of the chassis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sue View Post
Absolutely amazing....
Thank you Mama Sue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigger View Post
Your metal working is fantastic! It really gives this build a lot of realism. Keep up the great work!
Thank you Bigrigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztruck View Post
Is that a second dab in post #66?

Chris
Chris, yes, I have two of these cabs. It's explained why in the previous posts. We'll just say there was a whoops! For mock-up sake, I use which ever is closest to my reach.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Time for a weekend update! Work continues on the tank saddles. I have them to the point where I only need to drill one more hole, and then make the straps. The straps will be attached to the upper mounting ears, at the top, and then hopefully I'll have a tension screw to pull the strap tight, at the bottom of the saddle. Just like the real thing, only smaller!

The mock-up tank is just a piece of tube. It's the correct diameter, but hopefully I can have someone make me a proper set of tanks, that will look nicer. Hopefully no one is getting tired of looking at the same parts, as they evolve.

These little buggers proved to be more time consuming then I first thought. But this is why I get bogged down with the details sometimes! I think the work is worth it though.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 PM

Looks great Nathen! If you get them to work ill take a set im tamiya size lol Ive been looking at ways to make the straps look more real.. i think your gonna nail that!!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Aaron! Yes, I have some ideas for the straps. I just need to order some material tomorrow, so I can try to make them. I am hopeful I can make it happen. I've got a lot of time into the saddles. To not have the straps would be a bummer!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 PM

I can tell you got lots of time in them it shows but thats how things turn into a work of art!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

..Looks awsome Nathan..Your machining skills are really coming along..Looks all like you have been getting things done by a machine shop ....The proportions are really turning out well and looks like quite a challenge to work with the smaller cab ..I cant beleive the great work all you truck builders are coming up with ..thumbs up
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Apprentice

MoRockN is on a distinguished road

AMAZING!! my God that is an outstanding looking rig. Great work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If you got it, a Trucker brought it....
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nathan your truck is beautiful! Long way away already from the toy truck that it was meant to be.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Green Horn

ZINCOU is on a distinguished road

Arghhh , Absolutely amazing , i like your metal working Nathan ......great work .

capable of the best and the worst but for the worst I'm the best........
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I can tell you got lots of time in them it shows but thats how things turn into a work of art!
Thanks Aaron! It's surprising how long it takes to make some parts. And then for something like this, after you finish one, you step back, look at it, and say, 'Ahh, perfect!' Now go make three more just like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksntreadslou View Post
..Looks awsome Nathan..Your machining skills are really coming along..Looks all like you have been getting things done by a machine shop ....The proportions are really turning out well and looks like quite a challenge to work with the smaller cab ..I cant beleive the great work all you truck builders are coming up with ..thumbs up
Thank you Lou! I appreciate the nice comment, coming from a pro like you! I agree. The level of trucks being built these days, on the forum, is always going higher and higher. That's to say nothing of the construction machines! Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRockN View Post
AMAZING!! my God that is an outstanding looking rig. Great work.
Thanks Tyler!

Quote:
Nathan your truck is beautiful! Long way away already from the toy truck that it was meant to be.
Thank you Craig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZINCOU View Post
Arghhh , Absolutely amazing , i like your metal working Nathan ......great work .
ZINCOU, thank you very much!