RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:54 AM

kenlms is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone bought r2hobbies truck stuff?

Just came across these, which appear to be very Tamiya-ish items.

http://www.r2hobbies.com/1-14-scale-...truck-kit.html

http://www.r2hobbies.com/catalogsear...vance&dir=desc

Has anyone bought from them? The 20ft trailer looks like a cut down tamiya one. The Mercedes looks very much like a Tamiya kit from the downloaded instructions, though the axle housing is different. No indication of the quality of the product though.

So if anyone has bought any of their items, could you please comment. Thanks.

Ken
Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone bought r2hobbies truck stuff?

heard of them. seen on a facebook page that a guy got one. he says it is very very very similar to tamiya. that was a month ago. unsure if he finished the build yet.

trailers ive seen guys talking about but havent seen one other then on the store, yet.
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

These are the Tamiya rip off kits that are being done there seams to me a number of guys that have bought them on the facebook pages I had also heard that tamiya was trying to put a stop to them.

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road

Here's a write-ups done on another site.
http://rc-trucking.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8293
Old 01-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the shipping to the us is more of a rip off then the truck or trailer
Hong Kong Post Air Parcel $83.43 test
Hong Kong Post EMS $115.16 test
UPS Saver $93.69
Old 01-20-2015, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. I have ordered one 20ft container. Will see what they looks like when I get it.

I'll try to get a few pics alongside the Tamiya 40ft one for comparison.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 PM

Location: Mostly a little world of my own but otherwise in the Bolton area in the North West of England
Serviceguyuk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Anyone bought r2hobbies truck stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlms View Post
Just came across these, which appear to be very Tamiya-ish items.

http://www.r2hobbies.com/catalogsear...vance&dir=desc

Has anyone bought from them? The 20ft trailer looks like a cut down tamiya one. The Mercedes looks very much like a Tamiya kit from the downloaded instructions, though the axle housing is different. No indication of the quality of the product though.

So if anyone has bought any of their items, could you please comment. Thanks.

Ken

I bought the second one on your list and Merc Actros 6x4 and nearly completed it.

As far as I am concerned it's as good as if not better than the Tamiya equivalent. Most of the cab parts are a little dirty and the whole thing comes in a brown cardboard box without the usual high quality Tamiya three colour printing and cut away illustrations.

Comes will full sealed bearings, foam tyre inserts, full instructions, surplus screws and nuts and it all fits very well.

We have an agent here in UK with very reasonable shipping costs so it's definitely cheaper than Tamiya and as far as I and others here on poverty rock are concerned well worth the money.

They either make the stuff for Tamiya as a sub-contractor or have somehow come by all of the tooling as most if not all of the parts are identical.

Just my two cents

Mike
Old 01-20-2015, 10:37 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road

wow they do look like kind of... maybe but then again......china and copy's.....
i've seen there stuff show up on ebay over the last few weeks, the trailers
are what catch my eye, i really don't like making trailers and i can't really afford the
ones i want! so the log trailer with the three axles is kind of cool.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:22 AM

Location: Mostly a little world of my own but otherwise in the Bolton area in the North West of England

I didn't mention in my earlier post that I also bought an R2hobbies 40 foot trailer part number rcvp3378013 again from the UK agent.

This was again in a brown cardboard box but all the parts were there including a full bearing set and foam tyre inserts. It went together like a dream with perfect alignment and no missing parts and a few screws, etc left over.

Once completed utterly impossible to see the difference to the Tamiya model.

I had my worries about "cheap Chinese s**t" but having working there and bought endless amounts of stuff manufactured there I suspect now the exact opposite to become if it isn't already to be true ! ! ! The nation works 10 hours a day six days per week as a standard. The work ethic is prevalent and all workers are fiercely proud of their nation. They're also aware of the unfortunate reputation they have in some quarters for producing low quality goods so their efforts are bordering on the extreme nowadays to produce high quality products comparable with any produced in the traditional manufacturing countries in a shorter time and at a lower cost. Apple's sub-contractors in China are an extreme example of this where most are in the middle between 24/7 and lazy.

I see this as the way ahead whether we like it or not, my work experience tells me it is utterly inevitable where products from ship building to road construction and TVs to cars and all points in between will soon enough be made in China. As I type, my HP keyboard, Dell monitor, HP laptop and stand including all power leads and supplies including the British style power plug are all in fact made in China.

I took the plunge on a couple of these products for a few hundred in total and have found to my delight that they are well worth the money and just as skillfully manufactured as Tamiya whether that's made in Japan or Germany. The price is pitched here at about 10% lower than Tamiya and for my money I will always recommend them based on my experience albeit limited.

Sorry for the little rant but just another two cents

Mike
Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Journeyman

can you post a link to the UK contact you got? because the shipping on eBay is stupid crazy
Old 01-21-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth34677 View Post
can you post a link to the UK contact you got? because the shipping on eBay is stupid crazy
With pleasure

They're great if you email (the guy's name is Allan)

https://astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/in...14ed47f973d2e9
Old 01-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Journeyman

tanks tax time coming and looking to treat the old truck fleet to some new toys,
the trailer pretty good? that what i'd be into
Old 01-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapazleo View Post
I'm afraid they're unliscensed rip offs noticed on their website the Mercedes emblems were blanked out. With shipping to the US there not bargains any way. Quality may be good but I don't buy from dishonest people. I've also noticed some of their stuff is copies of Carson products. Most vendors on the forum have had trouble with copy cats and will tell you how it feels.
didn't think about that, i may just save for tamiya trailers then. we get work copied at my sign shop all the time and it sucks so ya don't want to add to that crap
Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 AM

kaipi0070 is on a distinguished road

The stuff they got looks very interesting to me and the prices are very reasonable! I will order the 20ft containertrailer tomorrow from the shop in the uk. Makes shipping to germany cheaper and saves me the customs!! Will keep you posted how the deal goes and I will report how the kit is!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Journeyman

well i ended up getting a tamiya trailer, but my get the twin axle flat bed from them. don't know like to know more about them
like a good buld write with pic's and how they make there stuff or just made molds from tamiya parts

Last edited by cosworth34677; 01-29-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:59 AM

All right, trailer is ordered, but the guy wrote it´s on backorder. Next delivery is ecxpected in two weeks. Let´s hope that it´s true!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:22 PM

sundance is on a distinguished road

I purchased a semi flatbed trailer from them. The picture showed super single tires and rims, plus fenders. The description said that it comes with simulated airbag suspension, but that's not what I got. The trailer I received had dual tires and rims and leaf spring suspension, but did have the fenders. I intentionally purchased it because it had the European look, but I ended up with an American trailer (which I have 2 of already). It is an exact copy of the Tamiya semi flatbed trailer, but the materials are cheaper in quality and there were no instructions with it. With the price and cost of shipping from China, I feel you're better off buying a Tamiya. I wrote and told them and they responded that I should send them a picture of what I received. I didn't bother- too much trouble. I think they know just what they sent me. This is only my personal experience with ordering this certain trailer. Here's the link to their ad on E-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Axles-Flat...item58b6bc5fb6
Old 01-31-2015, 06:50 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance View Post
I purchased a semi flatbed trailer from them. The picture showed super single tires and rims, plus fenders. The description said that it comes with simulated airbag suspension, but that's not what I got. The trailer I received had dual tires and rims and leaf spring suspension, but did have the fenders. I intentionally purchased it because it had the European look, but I ended up with an American trailer (which I have 2 of already). It is an exact copy of the Tamiya semi flatbed trailer, but the materials are cheaper in quality and there were no instructions with it. With the price and cost of shipping from China, I feel you're better off buying a Tamiya. I wrote and told them and they responded that I should send them a picture of what I received. I didn't bother- too much trouble. I think they know just what they sent me. This is only my personal experience with ordering this certain trailer. Here's the link to their ad on E-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Axles-Flat...item58b6bc5fb6
the very few pics online i seen of the actual model is like that, i like it for the single rear tires two , and the euro look but if i'm getting a tamiya copy i rather get the tamiya and make it look like that, be easier. i really just want a three axle trailer for a good price the Carson one is to much and i don't really feel like making one!

oh? any pics of what you got?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Trailer got dispatched today. Let´s see how fast it´s over here from th U.K.!!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:51 AM

Ok guys, I received my r2hobbies 20ft contrainer and have started construction.

The steps pretty much echos Tamiya's 40ft container, with the need to join side and top panels left out.

The instructions are reasonable, but loose sheets which can be accidentally mixed up. The parts are not to the level of quality of Tamiya. Some of the fits are quite tight, requiring some sanding/filing.

The required screws and nuts are included in numbered bags and called for in the instruction. While all the screws were included, I did find that some bags were lacking in screws which I did eventually find in subsequent bags. Fortunately I have also already built up a collection of spare screws and nuts anyway!

Test fitting on the Tamiya container trailer; the 20ft container fits properly.

The decals included are not just a copy of the Tamiya originals, but looks very similiar. The Maersk logo has been resized to fit a 20ft container lengths. The other markings however are a direct copy of the Tamiya 40ft container.

The BIC code is identical which is an annoyance for a model maker, as you can't really display 2 containers side by side. Fortunately there are spare letters and numbers to make up your own.

The following web site is useful for accurate identification markings
http://www.bic-code.org/index.php?op...ist&Itemid=340

The size markings included, being a copy of Tamiya's is for a 40ft container and therefore incorrect. The weight and size markings are also incorrect for a 20ft container. Unfortunate, you will have to make your own if you want accurate ones.

A good reference can be found here:
http://www.containerhandbuch.de/chb_..._03_03_00.html

I had intended to include some construction-in-progress photos and a side-by-side comparison with the Tamiya container. Unfortunately I am not able to log on to Flickr at the moment. I will post them as soon as I can.

Last edited by kenlms; 02-15-2015 at 07:54 AM.