RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Sound Systems tech

Sound Systems tech This section is dedicated to the sound systems for our models. Tamiya MFU, Servonaut, etc.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:40 AM

Masermick is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Wedico MF - Servonaut Sound

Hi Everybody
I'll start right away by saying I'm a newbie so please forgive any ignorance on my part regarding my questions.

For my very first model I have purchased a Wedico Peterbilt complete with the Wedico MF Control wiring kit and ESC. However, I was advised not to purchase the Wedico sound as it was inferior to others on the market?

1) What sound system (that provides all the sounds available, reversing beeper etc.) would you recommend?
2) Will it work with the Wedico MF & ESC kits?
3) I also want to hide the MF control switches (for a cleaner model), which I guess will go in the sleeper and understand that whichever speaker you recommend, should be boxed for a better sound, so will there also be room for the boxed speaker in the sleeper?

I don't know if it's possible; but I figured on reversing the sleeper cabs back and front panels, to:

4) Hide the switch holes?
5) But which in turn would hopefully provide hidden sound holes for the speaker outlet?

6) I am told that the Wedico ESC must be used for the Buhler motor provided, is this correct.

7) Does the Wedico MF kit provide a 50% reduction in reverse mode?

I hope I've explained myself ok and apologise for so many questions, however, I would very much appreciate your help on these issues.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wedico MF - Servonaut Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masermick View Post
Hi Everybody
I'll start right away by saying I'm a newbie so please forgive any ignorance on my part regarding my questions.

For my very first model I have purchased a Wedico Peterbilt complete with the Wedico MF Control wiring kit and ESC. However, I was advised not to purchase the Wedico sound as it was inferior to others on the market?

1) What sound system (that provides all the sounds available, reversing beeper etc.) would you recommend?
2) Will it work with the Wedico MF & ESC kits?
3) I also want to hide the MF control switches (for a cleaner model), which I guess will go in the sleeper and understand that whichever speaker you recommend, should be boxed for a better sound, so will there also be room for the boxed speaker in the sleeper?

I don't know if it's possible; but I figured on reversing the sleeper cabs back and front panels, to:

4) Hide the switch holes?
5) But which in turn would hopefully provide hidden sound holes for the speaker outlet?

6) I am told that the Wedico ESC must be used for the Buhler motor provided, is this correct.

7) Does the Wedico MF kit provide a 50% reduction in reverse mode?

I hope I've explained myself ok and apologise for so many questions, however, I would very much appreciate your help on these issues.
Masermick, I had been keeping an eye on this thread with the hopes that someone who knows better than I might give you a hand with your questions, but I don't think enough members here run the Wedico trucks. I am trying to build one, but so far I haven't run it much, other than with some basic electronics, as a test. I can try to answer some of these questions though.

In my opinion, I like the Servonaut sound units. Certain Servonaut sound units do feature back up beepers, but usually only in conjunction with a Servoanut ESC. I do not think that feature is possible without one of their ESCs. Have a look at their website. http://www.servonaut.de/shop/index.p...und-Sound.html

You might be better off buying a Servonaut ESC and one of their sound units. Most people do not like the Wedico electronics very well. Also, the Servonaut ESCs do feature lighting effects as well, so you could replace your Wedico ESC and MF unit with one ESC that does both.

It is possible to run the Servonaut sound units with a different brand ESC, but as mentioned above, you won't be able to unlock all of the features, like the back up alarm.

As for hiding the Wedico toggle switches, you should be able to mount those anywhere you wish. Inside the sleeper would be just fine, as would mounting them somewhere beneath the model, or in a toolbox or step.

The speaker you choose to go with the sound unit will have to be sized to the model, possibly even to the voltage you intend to run the truck with. There are a few different sized speakers you can consider. As long as it physically fits inside your truck's cab, sleeper, or under the hood, mounting it shouldn't be a problem. Stock Wedico speakers are usually mounted behind the front grille, and under the hood, but you could put it anywhere else you like. Yes, a speaker box, or enclosure will definitely provide better sound with all sizes and types of speakers. Mostly the low frequency sounds (bass).

I don't know if the Wedico units offer reduced reversing speeds. Servonaut ESCs do, however. It is an option you can change, when programming it. Either 50% reduction, or no reduction at all.

You can run that stock Wedico motor with any ESC. Wedico is strange in that they want you to use all of their electronics and equipment on their models, but it really isn't necessary. A motor is a motor, and anyone else's ESC won't notice the difference. Neither will the motor. It's just a Buhler brushed DC motor. You may have to install some noise suppression capacitors onto the motor's terminals though. Most ESC manuals will advise you to do so to cancel the noise that can cause radio interference. Not as much of an issue as it used to be in the past, with today's radios. Especially not with the 2.4 giga-hertz models, however it is still a good idea.

I hope this helps. I know that may not answer all of your questions, but I thought since your thread went unanswered, I'd at least try to offer some info. Welcome to the forum, by the way!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM

Hi Espeefan

I can't thank you enough, I was beginning to despair and had already formed the opinion that this site is probably mainly for Tamiya modellers?
In the meantime I have been doing more searching of the forums and this together with the information you have provided has hopefully given me a way forward (I just hope my supplier will take the Wedico MF & ESC back)!!

Kind regards Mick
Old 12-09-2013, 02:39 PM

Tp_hofmann is on a distinguished road

Hi mick

I am using several wedico mf and mf-2 units.

You can easily complement them with non wedico sound and/or escs: i use the servonaut s20 esc and the smx sound unit with the mf-2. Here i use the rear beeper, when moving back on both s,x and wedico mf unit

Why? In my old times this was a good solution to control all lights, sound,etc with just one channel. Today i use a brixl sender and guess: my mf-2 unit is still in place.

What i really enjoymwith the mf unit is the smart cabling: just 3 wires going to the front and rear: with most other solutions you need more cables.

Happy to answer more questions...

Hope this helps,
Thomas
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM

Hi Thomas
Thanks for your help; from what you say then, it seems that I only need to swap out the ESC and buy the Servonaut sound system, which in addition would give me the reverse beeper!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a brixl sender, can you point me to the webpage please?

Kind regards

Mick
Old 12-10-2013, 02:27 PM

Hi mick

Regarding brixl: a 2.4ghz remote control system, especially targetting truck and construction type of modelltruckers.

Its popular in the german speaking market, since no english version is available :-/

http://www.brixlelektronik.de/sender.htm

Swapping esc is straight forward, done it several times. And if you dont want to keep the mf unit, you can replace it with servonaut ml4 or a modul from beier: containing sound and multiswitch: http://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/ called usm-rc2.

Br,
Thomas
Old 12-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Thanks Thomas, will look into those sites; I find its always best to research these things before taking the plunge.

Kind regards Mick
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 AM

Hi Thomas
Just looked at those sites you recommended and the gear looks impressive, I don't know, but it looks very much like what Damitz use as I see from Utube sites?

However, I have already ordered a Spectrum 10xt c/w the truck switches (hope I've done right).

Kr Mick
Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masermick View Post
Hi Thomas
Just looked at those sites you recommended and the gear looks impressive, I don't know, but it looks very much like what Damitz use as I see from Utube sites?

However, I have already ordered a Spectrum 10xt c/w the truck switches (hope I've done right).

Kr Mick
Good observation: Damitz and premacon users Tend to also use brixl.

All remote controls are personal taste and the most important part still remains to be the model being used and showcased :-)

Br,
Thomas