RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:57 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road
Default PC1800 Front Shovel (1/12)

Started building the PC1800 with a plywood profile the same way that I started the D11 and 777 build. I will be using the original tracks I had on the dozer but will need to add 10 more links and pads, keep in mind I'm not building a true scale model of the shovel but will try to keep it much the same as full scale.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have made some progress already with this build and will upload more pics and info in time.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:24 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: PC1800 Front Shovel (1/12)

Swing bearing build using 200 - 1/4" steel balls and when completed is about 9.375 in dia.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I will be using a sprocket and chain for the swing , this will allow me to put the swing drive motor in under the cab or in a spot that is not needed for something else.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Still need to install the top and bottom seals on the bearing as well as the spacer to get the proper height. Hope this all works...LOL
Old 11-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Apprentice

I will be trying these air cylinders on the shovel not sure how well they are made but I'm going to find out. The main boom cylinders are 1.25" ID and the rest are 1.0625" ID. Hopefully the 5/32" tubing will have enough flow.... I'm going to find that out as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also plan on using a full scale valve body and pump , I will need to change the operating pressure in the valve down to 200-250 psi and the pump will need to turn at about 1500 RPM to supply enough volume for the cylinders, not sure if I can get this all to work as I would like but it's worth a try...the other challenge will be getting it all to fit in the model....time will tell.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Princess Auto strikes again!lol I'm liking what you're up too! I think one of the other guys on here used some valves like that in a couple of excavators and they worked alright. What is the plan to spin that pump with? 3408?lol

http://rctruckandconstruction.com/sh...ighlight=pc650

Last edited by RCP57; 11-22-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Nice work on the slew ring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

Since I'm a Komatsu guy, I've been waiting for this build to start. Great work on the swing bearing! Don't know if it will be a problem, but sometimes when a main relief valve is adjusted well-below its normal operating pressure, it is not very consistent or accurate. I'm guessing this system has an original pressure of 2500-3000 PSI, dropping to 250 PSI might be a problem. Hope it is not for you. Should you need additional technical information about the full-size PC1800, let me know. Be glad to assist.

Ken
Old 11-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

I am also glad to see this build start. I am not a hydraulics guy but I will follow this all the way. Nice work so far. Post lots of pictures.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Princess Auto strikes again!lol I'm liking what you're up too! I think one of the other guys on here used some valves like that in a couple of excavators and they worked alright. What is the plan to spin that pump with? 3408?lol

http://rctruckandconstruction.com/sh...ighlight=pc650
Yes good ol princess auto...lol...the valve body and pump are from them (got them on sale too heehee) the cylinders are from Automation Direct. Not sure yet what motor will be used on the pump yet, need to turn it at 1500rpm to get the flow needed but I don't actual know how strong the motor needs to be, if I put in a motor that is to big it will just eat battery power. Still need to try runs some tests with pump RPM and see what flow rate is like, going to just use a cordless drill to do the tests on the pump three speed drill will give me some ranges to play with. You would need two 3408 engines to run the full scale shovel.....even then two kitties might not be enough....lol
Old 11-24-2015, 12:07 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Nice work on the slew ring
Thanks.......it looks simple enough but was tricky to make....my first mistake was using a three jaw to turn it , should have use a four jaw but got lazy and didn't change chucks and started to get some vibrations in the cuts near the finished size, sometime short cuts aren't short cuts at all.....just end up spending more time trying to fix thing.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:19 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycuda View Post
Since I'm a Komatsu guy, I've been waiting for this build to start. Great work on the swing bearing! Don't know if it will be a problem, but sometimes when a main relief valve is adjusted well-below its normal operating pressure, it is not very consistent or accurate. I'm guessing this system has an original pressure of 2500-3000 PSI, dropping to 250 PSI might be a problem. Hope it is not for you. Should you need additional technical information about the full-size PC1800, let me know. Be glad to assist.

Ken
You might be right about the relief valve not liking the the low pressure, I wasn't thinking of that style of relief valve in there not a simple ball and spring, if it wants to float around at the low pressure I will need to add an external one on later to correct it....l will try it first and and see what it will do...maybe just maybe it will work with the low pressure.
Do you work on this machines or operate them??
Old 11-24-2015, 12:36 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
I am also glad to see this build start. I am not a hydraulics guy but I will follow this all the way. Nice work so far. Post lots of pictures.
I'm glad to see this build start too.....lol......I'm with you on not being a hydraulics guy either so this means we can learn together, this is the first time for me making something like this with hydraulics so I do have some learning to do!!! It will be interesting using things that aren't really designed for what I want them to do.....should be fun LOL
I will try post lots of pics.....did I post enough pics of the 777 build?? I always think people don't want to see every little step in the build....if there is something you want to see more pics of just let me know, be glad to post them for you, I usually take to many pics anyway....
Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSGARAGE View Post
I'm glad to see this build start too.....lol......I'm with you on not being a hydraulics guy either so this means we can learn together, this is the first time for me making something like this with hydraulics so I do have some learning to do!!! It will be interesting using things that aren't really designed for what I want them to do.....should be fun LOL
I will try post lots of pics.....did I post enough pics of the 777 build?? I always think people don't want to see every little step in the build....if there is something you want to see more pics of just let me know, be glad to post them for you, I usually take to many pics anyway....
We want to see every step! This place hasn't had enough scratch build pictures lately! Cooper can't carry the whole site on his own.lol
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSGARAGE View Post
You might be right about the relief valve not liking the the low pressure, I wasn't thinking of that style of relief valve in there not a simple ball and spring, if it wants to float around at the low pressure I will need to add an external one on later to correct it....l will try it first and and see what it will do...maybe just maybe it will work with the low pressure.
Do you work on this machines or operate them??
I'm a technical trainer for a Komatsu distributor in Kentucky & Indiana. Mostly, I teach our technicians but sometimes do troubleshooting classes for customers. Our territory has shovels up to the PC5500 and trucks up to 240 tons, but with the coal market going to h3ll, many of the larger machines are being parked.

Ken
Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

I agree with RCP-I want to see everything!! A scratch build and a front shovel. It just doesn't get any better than that for me. I prefer the older cable shovels but I guess they are on the way out. Hydraulic machines take a lot more maintenance and do not last half as long but I understand that is what the companies want today.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 PM

RCKiwi is on a distinguished road

All what those guys said...^^^^^^^^^. Cracking work on the swing bearing too...
Old 11-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Wow, great work on the swing bearing!! I've tossed around the idea of making bearings. Can never find the right size and if I do it's $$$!!! Yup, keep the pictures coming, I usually post pics because I need a break or because something just isn't working out and it's just enough to walk away and regroup. Speaking of that, how is that motor gearbox holding up on the haul truck? This front shovel is going to be a big boy!! Any guess as to how much it may weigh when done??
Old 11-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Wow, great work on the swing bearing!! I've tossed around the idea of making bearings. Can never find the right size and if I do it's $$$!!! Yup, keep the pictures coming, I usually post pics because I need a break or because something just isn't working out and it's just enough to walk away and regroup. Speaking of that, how is that motor gearbox holding up on the haul truck? This front shovel is going to be a big boy!! Any guess as to how much it may weigh when done??
Thanks....I was originally going to buy some big tapered roller bearings for the swing bearing and like you changed my mind after finding out the price, so desided to try build a bearing (was most likely cheaper to buy the bearings if a person considers all the time spent in making it...lol) one thing I like about it is it will transfer the load over a big area unlike some of the models using a small bearing. This model will be heavy and if I did the math right should be able to lift between 80-100lbs or I could just be fooling myself into believing that!

The banebots motor gear box has held in there so far, have stretched the#25 chain and have needed to tighten it a few times but the motor hasn't given any troubles yet...knock on wood...you know how that works...watch the next time I use it something will pile up I want to tear it apart and look at the gears and see if there is any possible failure about to happen, or at the very least clean it and apply new grease....pulling the motor out of that truck is not much fun so I think that's why I haven't yet

Not sure how heavy it will be, if I had to guess I would say it will be in the 140-160lbs range but I could be completely out to lunch on that guess, may even end up being heavier...lol...knowing the size of it and the way I build stuff it will most likely end up being 200lbs HEEHEE
Old 11-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycuda View Post
I'm a technical trainer for a Komatsu distributor in Kentucky & Indiana. Mostly, I teach our technicians but sometimes do troubleshooting classes for customers. Our territory has shovels up to the PC5500 and trucks up to 240 tons, but with the coal market going to h3ll, many of the larger machines are being parked.

Ken
Awesome!!!! Now I know who's brain to pick for info!! Finding good reference pics on line for this machine has proven a challenge....so I'm cheating a bit by looking at the PC2000 which has a great deal of similarities to the older 1800. I was almost going to switch the build to a 2000 but decided to keep going with the 1800. One thing I like about the 1800 in the length and size of the body/house section, gives more room for the full size valves etc, the modular design of the 2000 just wouldn't work. I do however like the overall looks of the 2000 over the 1800 but the design of the 1800 will be somewhat easier to build.

Is it OK to post reference pics from the online Komatsu brochure of the shovel...I would like to post one of the pics with all the size references on it ? Or if anyone else knows the answer let me know....that would be great !
Old 11-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Journeyman

Not an expert, but if wanting to post something that is from Komatsu's public website, I'd say no problem since it is not being using in a derogatory or for-profit way. Might list the link you got it from.

Just my opinion.

Ken
Old 11-25-2015, 11:18 PM
Apprentice

Here are the dimensions of the full scale PC1800 that I will be using to help build this model.

[IMG][/IMG]

This info was found here

http://www.komatsu.com.au/AboutKomat...6/PC1800-6.pdf

Some specs for the full scale machine

Twin 454HP engines
Swing speed 4.5 RPM
Max speed 1.7 MPH 2.7KM/H
Number of track pads/shoes 49/side
Weight with 40" triple grouser 405,910 LBS (184,120kg)
(1/12 scale is about 235lbs....yikes)
Bucket breakout force 81 tons
Bucket size 14.4 yds , 127" wide (1/12 scale is 10.6" wide)

Hope this will be of interest....Thanks for looking

KP