RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Sound Systems tech

Sound Systems tech This section is dedicated to the sound systems for our models. Tamiya MFU, Servonaut, etc.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 PM

CG Bob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Configure Spectrum DX6i with Tamiya MFU

Lots of good info here. I work part time at the LHS, and am mainly a r/c boat guy. When I went to work yesterday, there was a Scania R620 that a customer brought in for repair. Our r/c car tech put a note on the truck for me to fix it. He was apparently scared off by the MFU, I have more experience with electronics than he does. The work ticket said "Nothing works". I took a look at the truck, and the steering and fifth wheel release were working. After a little more looking around, I started double checking plugs and found a couple that were loose, and was able to get the throttle working.

I decided to come to this forum looking for help in fixing the truck, and found it. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Hope you got it running good??
Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 PM

I was able to finish working on the Scania tonight at the LHS. The owner apparently had some one else do all the electrical work on it, according to our lead car tech. The throttle and fifth wheel release servo leads were swapped in the receiver and those work correctly now. The front turn signal wire plugs were swapped in the MFU and now those work properly. Since the truck didn't have any wheels on it, I wasn't able to do attest drive, but everything seems to check out on the bench.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Awesome!!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 AM

When I go to the shop on Saturday, I'll call the customer and let him know his truck is ready. Hopefully he comes in on Saturday or Sunday to pick up the truck. I didn't go thru all thru all of the Tamiya programming options in the MFU instruction - the owner will have to do that. When I was at the LHS on Thursday, our "lead" car tech and a new hire (airplane guy) were working, so I did put the truck thru it's paces on the bench after we closed.

After working on the customer's Scania, I'm almost tempted to get the Ford Aeromax and modify it to a daycab for a boat hauler. Nauset Marine has an Aeromax and trailer for hauling boats. The pictures show a Ford LND; I don't think I'll try to duplicate the hydraulic ram boat cradle trailer. I have the Dumas 1:16 scale model of USCG 36500 to build; it will have a different number. I'm not too concerned with the various scale differentials for this project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36500.11.jpg (24.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 36500.14.jpg (41.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by CG Bob; 04-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:32 AM

Mpfiend is on a distinguished road

Good Morning,

This is very useful information, is this set up relevant to the new european MFU (MFC-03)?

I am currently building the Tamiya Scania and Reefer Trailer with the MFC-03, trailer lighting and powered legs.
I have started with the Trailer but will soon need to start testing the electronics with my Spektrum DX6i ready for the truck build.
any help with this would be greatly received as this is my first truck Trailer build.

Best Regards

Keith
Old 04-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Green Horn

dmess62 is on a distinguished road

Not sure about the European model mfu.

Dave
Old 04-30-2014, 08:21 AM

Mpfiend is on a distinguished road

Gents,

After a couple of hours yesterday I set up my MFC-03 with my Spektrum Dx6i using the information posted in this thread and the instructions supplied.
This was only a bench test so far, as I have not yet started the build of the truck (I'm still getting the trailer built at the moment), but everything seems to work correctly. all of the sounds and modes seem to work without any fault. the only thing that I have not yet done is the gearbox set up, but the shift servo moves in the right directions when commanded. the coupling servo and switch are also operating correctly.
I'll post some more information once the truck build gets underway.

Thanks for looking in.

Best Regards

Keith
Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 AM

limek is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am new to truck and mfc. I am using futaba 12FG and not understand how to calibrate trim. Please help!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:47 AM

Grip_Runner is on a distinguished road

thanks cosset for the awesome guide I have finally managed to set my mfc up correctly and can now continue with my production line I tired every guide I could find no luck try this one and first time it works I have made several copies to be on the safe side
Old 05-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road

i have a dx 18 radio with ar 9020 i have used y harnesses when i installed my mfu-01 so far it seems to work have not had a serious play as of yet as i am haveing problem with trans and locking hubs slipping ,
Old 03-03-2018, 03:14 PM

ittigger is on a distinguished road

I have figured out a resolution to the Start / Stop with Spektrum DX6i:

Steps (based on instructions found previously - listed here - http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...d.php?t=3535):

D/R Settings:

ELEV - with Elev D/R in position 0 (set it as follows):

ELEV 0 | 60% | INH
Change Elev D/R to position 1
ELEV 1 | 100% | +40%

RUDD modification: which allows for the Start / Stop functionality:

RUDD 0 | 60% | INH
Change Rudd D/R to position 1
RUDD 1 | 100% | +40%

-------------------------------------- Step By Step Instructions ---------------------------------------------------

a: Scroll down to D/R&EXPO and click.
b: Scroll through to the first column next to ELEV is selected, and click.
c: Ensure the ELEV D/R switch is set to 0, there should be a 0 next to ELEV on the screen.
d: Change value to 60% using the scroll wheel and click.
e: Move the ELEV D/R switch on the Transmitter from 0 to 1, there should now be a 1 next to ELEV on the screen.
f: Back on the screen, ensure that the first column for ELEV is set to 100%
g. Move the scroll wheel to the second column of ELEV and click.
h. Change the value to +40% and click.
i. Move the ELEV D/R switch back to 0 from 1, there should now be a 0 next to ELEV on the screen.
j. Scroll through to the first column next to RUDD is selected, and click.
k. Ensure the RUDD D/R switch is set to 0, there should be a 0 next to RUDD on the screen.
l. Change value to 60% using the scroll wheel and click.
m. Move the RUDD D/R switch on the Transmitter from 0 to 1, there should now be a 1 next to RUDD on the screen.
n. Back on the screen, ensure that the first column for RUDD is set to 100%
o. Move the scroll wheel to the second column of RUDD and click.
p. Change the value to +40% and click.
q. Move the RUDD D/R switch back to 0 from 1, there should now be a 0 next to RUDD on the screen.
r. Scroll until List in the top right hand corner is selected, and click.
Save settings and exir programming mode

------------------------------- End Of Step By Step Instructions ---------------------------------------------------

Make sure all toggles are set to position 0 and go through the MFU setup again.

1: Press and hold the MFU 'Set' button for 1 second, MFU should stop engine the control box will blink.
2: From the Transmitter, move the left stick completely up & down then to center and wait. The LED on the control unit will blink 3 times.
3: Move the left stick completely right & left and to center. Again, the LED on the control unit will blink 3 times.
4: Move the right stick completely up & down and then to center. Wait for the LED to blink 3 times.
5. Move the right stick completely left & right and then to center. This time, the LED will blink 3 times quickly, and then will blink slowly.
6. Press the Set button on the control unit, the LED will then blink and turn on.

Using the Transmitter, I now have:

Elev D/R in position 1
a: Throttle is left stick - up & down.
b: Steering is right stick - left & right.
c: Changing gears is left stick - left & right.
d: Long horn is right stick up.
e: Short horn is right stick down.

Elev D/R in position 1
g: To turn on / off the hazard lights, move right stick up
h: To get through the light functions, move the right stick down.

Elev D/R & Rudd D/R in position 1:
i: To stop / start the engine, put the left stick in the left position and the right stick to the up position.

Gear Toggle:
i: To operate the Fifth Wheel / Landing Gear, use the Gear toggle switch.

I have confirmed the start / stop resolution works for the Futaba T8J radios as well. I don't know what the effect of the change is to other operations (if any) but I know that start / stop now works - as well as all other operations.

Now for the questions:

Is there a way to assign these 'functions' (lights, start / stop) to a toggle switch?

If I wanted to add more lights, can I control them off of the transmitter? If so, how? Does anyone know of a wireless trailer lighting / legs solution that works with the MFU. I was considering the SS-Tronix as they had built in control for the legs but they're not producing anything at the moment. I've also heard of the OB-1 but it won't control the legs and leaves the lights on (again, from what I've heard). Any ideas? I'd also like to add additional lights to the cab and trailer and have them controlled by the transmitter. I've also heard that Servonaut may have something (AIRU / AMO) that works with the MFU like the SS-Tronix does? Anyone have knowledge of this? Can someone assist?

Last edited by ittigger; 03-03-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 AM

ittigger is on a distinguished road

For the Spektrum DX6i and as pertains to the Motorized trailer legs, - if you use the Gear port for the 5th wheel, then you have essentially 'Raise' or 'Lower' as your only options, correct? If this is true, how do you get to 'neutral' so that you're not constantly raising or lowering the landing legs?

Last edited by ittigger; 04-18-2018 at 10:31 AM.