RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

For the small stuff I always drill the holes a little larger than the recommended size and tap by hand...carefully. For tapping 3mm holes, I use my cordless drill but don't tighten the chuck up super tight. Again using caution! I also use silicone spay or alcohol for lubricant.

I broke off my favorite 3mm tap recently in a customers box. The tap was getting dull and I was trying to thread a hole near a weld. The alum gets soft and galls easy where its been welded and I was trying to tap it dry(lube messes up powder coat). Anyway it broke off, I said a few bad words, calmed down and tried to grab the end that was sticking out. I got it to move but it broke off flush causing me to say more bad words. I tried heating the area with the TIG torch thinking it would swell the aluminum and make the hole loose. That didn't work but I noticed that the tap was melting so it gave me an idea. I TIG welded a nail to the broken tap and wound it right out! What a relief!

Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Apprentice

MoRockN is on a distinguished road

REG !!!! You're killing me with those wheels man and with the sweet metal body work... Just absolutely amazing! If you happen to "accidently" make a complete other set of those wheels and hubs I call first dibs

Ayoub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If you got it, a Trucker brought it....
Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I use a specific cutting oil for tapping aluminum & chuck the tap in a cordeless drill too... depending of the thickness of the piece you're tapping, you'll likely have to back the tap out several times, clean off the filings (I use a brass bristle brush) & relube before you tap all the way through... the cordless drill makes fast work of that.

I chuck the tap gripping the smooth round, instead of the squared end, so the tap slips easily when the cutting threads get too full of chips.

That's pretty trick welding Reg to fish the broken tap out!
I'm looking forward to getting my own tig welder here shortly & learning the craft.

Joe
Old 03-27-2014, 05:06 PM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the pointers. I thought about drilling a bigger hole and will use this tip from now on.
I broke a few bits in aluminum, and I wasn't able to get them out. I tried using alum to corrode the bits, and I think this may work with more time.

http://etsymetal.blogspot.ca/2009/01...t-removal.html

Looking forward to more updates on this project!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nothing really went as planned for me today but I did get started on the rear wheels and finished my spare. For the rear wheels I am attempting to stamp out the centers, do a little machining and then press them into the rim. So far I have made a couple of dies and successfully punched out one center to play with. I am not sure what I will end up doing as it is kinda trial and error at this point. I will try to mess around with this a little more over the next couple of days and nail down a setup.

This is what the first one looks like prior to drilling the bolt circle. I will put it back in the lathe to clean up the edge where the center meets the rim eventually.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well I spent the whole day working on the wheels today. I made some modifications to my dies this morning and tried some different setups in the mill. Anyway, long story short I think I have a wheel that I am happy with for the truck. It always seems like the hard part is setting up for the job. Once you get all the tooling sorted out you have no excuse to use it anymore! Oh well...

Here's a few pictures of the parts and the assembled wheels. I ordered some 1/8 nuts as suggested so once they get here I will button it all up!

I still have some caps to make and some machining on the rear hubs left to do.

Let me know what you think of the wheels.

Thanks for looking
Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Man this is sweet Reg! Every now and then a biuld like this comes along and just leaves my speechless. Your scratch biulding skills are unbelievable.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Reg, yer makin yer own freeze plug's Keep up the creativity! Yer giving me ideas
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Well there you go, freeze plugs in cylinder blocks... I thought the shape looked awfully familiar.

Joe
Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Haha there not frost plugs but I guess they do kinda look that way. I am pressing flat 0.050 sheet into the shape of the wheel center. I guess frost plugs may work if you could get them the right size though.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 AM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

Reg.. Rims look spot on, just right for the truck...

Wayne
Old 03-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

Hi Reg great trick withe the nail to get the tap out I could have used that a thousand times I am always breaking taps. Ed
Old 03-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

When I started this I only planned to scratch build a body. Now it appears that I have got a bit too for past that so I guess that I will just keep going...

I finished the rear hubs today and did some final machining on the wheels.

I think this is going to be the best looking Hayes HD/RC in the world....LOL I'm positive that it is the only one so that's not really a lie....

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

Reg great job on the wheels and the hubs especially the hubs they came out great very realistic looking. Ed
Old 03-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

those wheels and hubs look great. what size are the axel bolts on the hub?
Old 03-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

Heck yea Reg that baby is looking so sweet. Any idea for a color scheme yet?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys. The hub "studs" are 2-56 bolts.
I was torn between two color combos. Both were from former BC forestry giants that are long gone now. Both paint schemes are close to the pattern on my 850KW but one is orange, white and green(BC Forest Products) and the other is red, white and green(MacMillan Bloedel). My wife said it needs to be red so M&B colors it is! These are the trucks that I was most fond of as a kid anyway so it suits me just fine.

I put in a 9 hour day yesterday and got a good start on the box. I think it is looking the part of an old heavy duty truck now and I think the box is turning out pretty good. Maybe I should start building and selling boxes...Oh wait a minute...

Still plenty to do! More to come later.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM

Ken Orme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadieman View Post
Awesome work and details!
Basic question, how do you tap for the 2-56 screws? I tried to tap threads in aluminum but broke the tap. I was going by hand, and almost wonder if using the lathe would be better.
When I tap threads I use a cutting fluid called "tap magic" It is available from USC Industrial Supply Co. I comes in a 4OZ can for $4.62. Their part # is 06492920.

You could use a lathe to tap holes but [B]TURN THE CHUCK BY HAND> DO NOT TURN THE LATHE ON[B]

It has been a long time since I broke a tap using their cutting fluid.

Ken
Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

RCP57-very nice machine work on the wheels. They look like the real deal. I am not really a truck guy but this truck reminds me of a smaller version of the last one you built. Keep up the good work..
Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks modelman. This truck is very similar to the Kenworth in a lot of ways. I can't believe how much easier it is to build a truck in this scale when you can just buy axles and suspension instead of making it from scratch. This truck will likely be ready for paint in the time it took for me to build the rear suspension and axles for the 1/10 KW. Hopefully the parts I am waiting for so up this week so that I can take it for a test drive.

Here's a little update from yesterday. I didn't spend much time on it but I did manage to make the tailgate and add the rungs for the ladders on each side of the box. I also cut up some pieces for the fuel tanks but I haven't done any machining on them yet.

I have made this tailgate so that it lifts quite high. Hopefully it works out with my mechanical latches. You need it to lift out of the way when you are hauling big rocks and stumps...

Thanks for following along!