RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Apprentice

cabs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how many guys actually drive truck on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
Well my dad was an owner operator for 35 years till he passed away in 2003, I decided to give the owner operator thing a try for three years hauling my own reefer and doing some flatbed work also. Then I sold my truck due to financial reasons and got a job driving a tanker locally. Then got a job in the township as a diesel mechanic. Been there for the last 4 years and I'm planning on getting another tractor n going owner operator again with my brother.
Wish I had a set to get my own truck. There is money out there if you find the right gig. All the work still going on down the shore a flatbed or a lowbed would probably do alright
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 AM

Lake10 is on a distinguished road

Drove heavy wrecker for about 8 years
Old 03-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Green Horn

Dieselchopper is on a distinguished road

Started hauling silage for farmers close to our family farm when I was 8. Boy how things have changed in the 31 years since. When I was young I drove any truck that I got the chance to. Then in 97 through 03 I hauled livestock local and long haul. Ended up owning a fleet of 5 trucks. Then I made some life changes due to health and only drove truck for the Ice Road season running out of Yellowknife. I still run the odd truck when the chance arises, yesterday I got into a 1974 Pacifica bed truck to move a few drilling rig buildings around the yard. Always trucks needing good operators, good fall back job if times are tight.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road

I have an old 82 Ford three axle. Has the big Cam Cummins, and this truck works hard when I use it. I just use it for my private property. Would like to do a little hauling for some other companies, seems as though no one is interested though, maybe because it's an old truck?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabs View Post
Wish I had a set to get my own truck. There is money out there if you find the right gig. All the work still going on down the shore a flatbed or a lowbed would probably do alright
Well besides all the tons of work due to superstorm sandy, I have work lined up with a reefer and a flatbed that I did before I got outta trucking. And a friend of mine has a dump truck tgat he runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The truck never turns off. It runs sand n stone for sandy storm repairs during the day and does paving at night. He's was doing so good with the one truck he bought two more and now all 3 are running non stop. It's crazy how something so negative like a devastating hurricane can generate so much work and do so much good for the local economy.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I tip my hat to all of you and any truck driver. You are the ones who make it possible for us non-drivers to get what we want and need. THANK YOU!!!

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

I've driven OTR for 26 years, in fact I'm sitting in my truck right now...

I have also been an instructor at a driving school. I know this industry inside and out and currently...

I can tell you with no experience your only hope to get into trucking without school would be to know someone with a truck and their own authority or be lucky enough to find someone desperate that's willing to fudge some paperwork. The government says new drivers going to school have to have a minimum of 160 hours of to get their CDL, HOWEVER... they do not require schooling. Anyone 21 or over (18 in most states for Intrastate only) that can pass the written and skills tests can have a CDL. The problem arises with the Insurance companies. With the exception of self insured large companies like CR England, Swift, Central and a few others that have their own schools, most all other companies that will hire drivers with no experience are required to only hire drivers that have graduated from Accredited driving schools.

Here is the important part... "Accredited Driving School". The companies listed above and all the others that have their own driving schools are NOT accredited and until you have one years driving experience with them no one else will accept their driving school. That's not to say going to one of those companies is out of the question, just go into it realizing that no matter what line of BS they will tell you, their school means nothing to anyone but them. The advantage to going to a place like that is that you usually don't have to pay for the schooling if you stay for at least 6 months to a year. The disadvantage besides that of what I just spoke, is that they often pay you less in order to "Repay" them for your schooling.

Your average Accredited school in the US will cost you around $4000.00 to $6000.00 and last 3-4 weeks but after that providing your driving record is good and you have no DUI,DWI, weapons charges, or drug charges on your record. Going this route your options for jobs is GREATLY increased, most companies these days do hire student drivers.

Next you need to be aware that all companies, driving schools, ect. will make this job out to be the best thing since sliced bread. They will tell you you can make 65-70K your first year, and that you will get to see the country and go places you always wanted to go... BULL S!@#... You will be closer to 30-35k for you first few years and unless/until you fall into that right job, you'll be hard pressed to make much more than that. Specially with the way the hours of service rules are these days. I have been doing this basically non stop for 26 years, and up till I got the job I have now the most I ever made was $37000.00. Obviously that can be more depending on the job and the area you run.

As for seeing the country, well that's not a total lie. You will se quite a bit of it as you pass it by at 65. I do know some drivers that take the time to call a cab or rent a car and go see things from time to time. But remember the pay thing I talked about. Well you don't get that much if you don't keep the door closed and the wheels turning. Plain and simple, truck drivers are paid by the mile so you need to drive miles to get paid.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Mike J

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 03-18-2014, 06:23 AM

straightpipejakebrake is on a distinguished road

I am a part time driver for a paper roll distribution company...other then that I work warehouse driving a clamp truck unloading train cars and loading trailers and being a yard jockey. The only time I hit the road is when one of our drivers calls out or is on vacation, but the drivers get paid by the load so I actually get paid more when I am in warehouse or being yard jockey lol
Old 03-18-2014, 03:38 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post

I have also been an instructor at a driving school. I know this industry inside and out and currently...

I can tell you with no experience your only hope to get into trucking without school would be to know someone with a truck and their own authority or be lucky enough to find someone desperate that's willing to fudge some paperwork. The government says new drivers going to school have to have a minimum of 160 hours of to get their CDL, HOWEVER... they do not require schooling. Anyone 21 or over (18 in most states for Intrastate only) that can pass the written and skills tests can have a CDL. The problem arises with the Insurance companies. With the exception of self insured large companies like CR England, Swift, Central and a few others that have their own schools, most all other companies that will hire drivers with no experience are required to only hire drivers that have graduated from Accredited driving schools.

Here is the important part... "Accredited Driving School". The companies listed above and all the others that have their own driving schools are NOT accredited and until you have one years driving experience with them no one else will accept their driving school. That's not to say going to one of those companies is out of the question, just go into it realizing that no matter what line of BS they will tell you, their school means nothing to anyone but them. The advantage to going to a place like that is that you usually don't have to pay for the schooling if you stay for at least 6 months to a year. The disadvantage besides that of what I just spoke, is that they often pay you less in order to "Repay" them for your schooling.

Your average Accredited school in the US will cost you around $4000.00 to $6000.00 and last 3-4 weeks but after that providing your driving record is good and you have no DUI,DWI, weapons charges, or drug charges on your record. Going this route your options for jobs is GREATLY increased, most companies these days do hire student drivers.

Next you need to be aware that all companies, driving schools, ect. will make this job out to be the best thing since sliced bread. They will tell you you can make 65-70K your first year, and that you will get to see the country and go places you always wanted to go... BULL S!@#... You will be closer to 30-35k for you first few years and unless/until you fall into that right job, you'll be hard pressed to make much more than that. Specially with the way the hours of service rules are these days. I have been doing this basically non stop for 26 years, and up till I got the job I have now the most I ever made was $37000.00. Obviously that can be more depending on the job and the area you run.

As for seeing the country, well that's not a total lie. You will se quite a bit of it as you pass it by at 65. I do know some drivers that take the time to call a cab or rent a car and go see things from time to time. But remember the pay thing I talked about. Well you don't get that much if you don't keep the door closed and the wheels turning. Plain and simple, truck drivers are paid by the mile so you need to drive miles to get paid.

Mike J
That's the straight skinny of what it's all about. Great explanation Mike.

Joe
Old 03-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post

Mike J

Agreed 100%. And don't forget about the lease special they give these new drivers with the " dream to own their own rig" never seen that turn out as a dream but more of a nightmare..
Old 03-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Why don't you just go and get a job on a dock for someone. Driving around the yard moving trailers will give you some skills. Or join the Army and when you get out you can use the army license to get the CDL. Way back when you would go to work for a freight company and practice moving trailers around the yard. Then you go and get a class 1 permit and go with a driver on a few trips to get some needed experience and then take your drivers test but now days you need an act of congress to get a license. Some of these drivers they are turning out of these driving schools are a joke. I was going down the thruway one day and blinked the lights to let a truck back in an one of these school wonders said what are you blinking the lights at me, I said if you don't know go back to school. With the invention of supper highways a lot of driving skills have gone to the way side. The company I use to drive for wouldn't let you get on toll roads like the NYS thruway always ran 2 lane highways these school drivers would be lost and never get there on time. If they ever saw the old Jacob's ladder in Mass they probably wet there pants coming of that 2 lane hill. Ed
Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 AM

Bundy is on a distinguished road

Drove some smaller trucks and machines years ago, never a big rig though.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

I have been driving trucks around 30 yrs now been an Owner /Operator for half of those years.i went to school to become an architect/ mechanical engineer but decided i did not want to push a pen all day..absolutely nothing wrong with that but its not for me.My dad told me years ago before he passed away.trucking is not a 9-5 job and if you are willing to work hard..you can succeed at the job but you won't get rich doing it.i follow that all the time. I am the proud owner of an old school 1985 Kenworth W900b Flattop and i am lucky to be contracted to a great company for all of my years as an O/O and hope to retire there too.you get your crap everywhere you work...go...deliver..p/up....etc..my philosophy is it all depends on how you deal with it ,and if you can manage that huge part within yourself and grow thick skin... ...you will do fine
Old 03-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Apprentice

cabs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 kenworth View Post
I have been driving trucks around 30 yrs now been an Owner /Operator for half of those years.i went to school to become an architect/ mechanical engineer but decided i did not want to push a pen all day..absolutely nothing wrong with that but its not for me.My dad told me years ago before he passed away.trucking is not a 9-5 job and if you are willing to work hard..you can succeed at the job but you won't get rich doing it.i follow that all the time. I am the proud owner of an old school 1985 Kenworth W900b Flattop and i am lucky to be contracted to a great company for all of my years as an O/O and hope to retire there too.you get your crap everywhere you work...go...deliver..p/up....etc..my philosophy is it all depends on how you deal with it ,and if you can manage that huge part within yourself and grow thick skin... ...you will do fine
Well put. Just have to find your nich. If you can get a nice flatbed or heavy and specialized company you can earn a nice living at it.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:59 PM

The Wurst is on a distinguished road

I drove OTR for 5 years pulling dry vans and reefers in the 90's. I drove for a small fleet owner, Wood Trucking in Wauseon, Ohio. He was leased to Midwest Coast Transport out of Sioux Falls, SD. I drove the 48 and spent a lot of time between Chicago and the east coast which got me home frequently. When I would get tired of all the hustle and bustle I would grab a load headed west or south. I got off the road and went into mechanical engineering. Great career but have never stopped wondering how things may have went if I did the O/O path.

Brian in OH
Old 07-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

I feel the owner operator path is pretty much the last way to earn a living and experience freedom. Its the closest you get to being loke a cowboy on his horse just roaming. You see things most people only see on tv or in magazines, you meet people that are unimaginable both for the good m bad. N you decide you really loke a city and want to spend an extra day or two to roam around and enjoy the area/city you can. My wife loved the life when i introduced it to her, she was home sock at forst for the first two weeks away from home...but after that we got home and she immediately wanted to go back out on the road. Its something perfect for a wonderer of a free spirited kinda person who wants to experience this great country we call home. Especially of you dont have a family. Now that i have a wife and a child, i would do the otr or long distance stuff. A night or two away is fine but not three weeks. I dod land a new part time gig now driving for a massive local food company called wakefern/ shoprite driving forba owner operator who is part of there owner operator union creq called food haulers inc. These owner operators all have gorgeously cuatom trucks mostly Petes n kenworths and theyre annual salary varies between $250k-$300k a year. Its the holy grail pf trucking jobs in the tristate area of guys that haul reefers or dryvans. Im only doing one night a week as of now and the money i make and take home as a driver one night a week is equivalent to one weeks salary at my township mechanic job basically. Now im hoping to make it my full time gig and get hired and offered a very prized and coveted slot as an owner operator / food hauler contractor. These guys work 12+ hours a day 6-7 days aweek but they make the money to make it worth while.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:36 PM

headers is on a distinguished road

I am least to landstar pulling a flatbed trailer
Old 07-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Green Horn

hammer is on a distinguished road

I have been driving part tine for 18 years in three years I am going in full.

TONY
Old 07-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Wannabe

up9018 is on a distinguished road

Drove as a part time job in the mid 90s hauling candy mix from Kansas to Texas in a milk tanker. Couple of short runs in the evenings hauling bulk milk to the dairy plant in Omaha too.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:32 PM

kwalters is on a distinguished road

Hauled hay in the late 70's. Then leased to a freight company running between Southern Oregon and California. Hauled logs until the spotted owl appeared in Northern California. Hauled cows for awhile then drove belly dumps and low beds. Gave all that up to become an educator and am now an elected county superintendent of schools. Some days I wish I was still driving truck!