RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Mechanical tech

Mechanical tech This is for the mechanical parts of a model. Gear reductions, Axles, Transmissions, General drive line

Old 08-16-2016, 06:10 AM

CAMODADDY is on a distinguished road
Default CARSON GEAR MOTOR 907056

Anyone know of a website I can buy one of these. It seems websites like Conrad do not ship to the USA. Nothing on Ebay. Ive been using 12 volt motors and they just don't seem to work that great. Im up for other suggestions for 6 volt motors for a screw drive.

Bryan
Old 08-16-2016, 07:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CARSON GEAR MOTOR 907056

Look at ServoCity.com, they have a variety of geared motors 6 and 12v with a wide range of RPM. I stuck my carson motor in the parts box and picked up a couple from them. TamiyaUSA.com is where I bought my Carson, not sure if they still have them or not.

Last edited by TRUCKMAKER; 08-16-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Look at ServoCity.com, they have a variety of geared motors 6 and 12v with a wide range of RPM. I stuck my carson motor in the parts box and picked up a couple from them. TamiyaUSA.com is where I bought my Carson, not sure if they still have them or not.
Thanks, I have browsed there site before. Hopefully they have something about the same size and bolt pattern so its an easy swap. TamiyaUSA really marks up the price but it doesn't look like they have it anymore.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMODADDY View Post
Thanks, I have browsed there site before. Hopefully they have something about the same size and bolt pattern so its an easy swap. TamiyaUSA really marks up the price but it doesn't look like they have it anymore.
When I bought mine from Tamiya I think they were on sale I only pd $45 and then later I seen them going for $70. Are you going to Indy?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
When I bought mine from Tamiya I think they were on sale I only pd $45 and then later I seen them going for $70. Are you going to Indy?
Wont be able to make it this year. Im definitely going to try for next year.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

Check out with 'getriebe doctor' in Germany, the might ship overseas,
http://shop.der-getriebedoktor.de/index.php?sprache=2
Old 08-26-2016, 06:58 AM

Location: Mostly a little world of my own but otherwise in the Bolton area in the North West of England
Serviceguyuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anyone know of a website I can buy one of these. It seems websites like Conrad do not ship to the USA. Nothing on Ebay. Ive been using 12 volt motors and they just don't seem to work that great. Im up for other suggestions for 6 volt motors for a screw drive.

Bryan
Hi Bryan,

I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly?

Is it just the drive motor or the lift assembly complete with drive motor?

In any event me thinks the whole thing is now obsolete from Carson hence it's high price. It seems this assembly was limited to the tipper trailer 500907050 only with the half pipe trailer using a different assembly and drive motor.

They are expensive here in UK too with the lift assembly going from £100.00 up to over £1000.00 depending on who's trying to sell it.

If you want to try something slightly different then take a look at RCBRmin who have a very similar looking drive motor and bracket here Click me to fit their own lift assembly click here

Hope this helps ?

Mike
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serviceguyuk View Post
Hi Bryan,

I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly?

Is it just the drive motor or the lift assembly complete with drive motor?

In any event me thinks the whole thing is now obsolete from Carson hence it's high price. It seems this assembly was limited to the tipper trailer 500907050 only with the half pipe trailer using a different assembly and drive motor.

They are expensive here in UK too with the lift assembly going from £100.00 up to over £1000.00 depending on who's trying to sell it.

If you want to try something slightly different then take a look at RCBRmin who have a very similar looking drive motor and bracket here Click me to fit their own lift assembly click here

Hope this helps ?

Mike
Thanks Mike that information is a big help. I have a motor an lift already I was just trying to use a better motor, so I ordered a new one from Robotmarketplace. The quality and prices look great though on the RCBRmin site.
Bryan
Old 08-29-2016, 07:28 AM

Location: Mostly a little world of my own but otherwise in the Bolton area in the North West of England
Serviceguyuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks Mike that information is a big help. I have a motor an lift already I was just trying to use a better motor, so I ordered a new one from Robotmarketplace. The quality and prices look great though on the RCBRmin site.
Bryan
Hi again Bryan,

I'm just trying to help

Below is a spec sheet for the standard Tamiya RS-540 motor manufactured by Mabuchi.

It's all a bit complicated unless you know about it but I'm guessing you want more torque for your lift application.

The term 540 (the standard Tamiya RC motor) usually refers to a frame size (physical dimensions) where within that frame size there are a number of winding and turn options that are able to be accommodated giving different characteristics i.e. higher or lower speed and torque. The graphs indicate two variations to help visualise it The trick to selecting any motor AC or DC is selection of speed, torque and efficiency and the best point to start if where the lines cross on the graph! ! ! !

There's usually a whole load of stuff and nonsense written about turns and speed but here's a good guide

Number of turns refers to how many times the wire is wound around each pole of the armature. The higher the number of turns the greater the torque delivered. However that also means a lower RPM.

More turns e.g. 27T gives higher torque, less RPM & longer battery life.

Less turns e.g. 19T gives less torque, more RPM but a shorter battery life.

The number of winds or windings is the number of wires wound around the armature. Sometimes the wind is increased in order to compensate for the torque lost with less turns.

A single wind gives most power/torque at lower RPM

Two, three or four windings give less low speed power where the most power (torque actually) is delivered at higher RPM.

It all becomes very complex very quickly but with a bit of fairly simple maths and experimentation you could figure out what you need.

Also consider that with a screw jack assembly the load is not constant as the screw thread is constant as is the geometry of the levers but the load at various points of the length of the screw is not. When lowered and starting to raise the initial load is very low as the slack in the screw thread is taken up but this quickly rises to it's highest level as the full weight of the dump is taken on with little lift for many turns of the screw. At about 45 degrees from horizontal where the load starts to dump and tilt rate increases due to the lift geometry and load decreases.

All in all you may have to suffer a little with a slower speed to gain the required lifting torque or a much higher speed that slows almost to a stall condition depending on what motor you choose.

I know your initial question was simple and I've probably massively over-complicated it but it may help inform you a little when choosing one of the hundreds of little DC motors that's available

Or maybe not . . . . . . .

By the way all this pseudo-technical stuff doesn't make me the go-to guy, it's just some things I've picked up and others I used to work with a few years ago

Best of luck

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tamiya standard 540 motor spec sheet.pdf (5.2 KB, 5 views)