RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Admin RIP FGD 2-12-59/12-19-11

FreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the rough
Angry Lookin for YOUR opinion on Postin like a fool!

There's always a few! Ok! Now I'm not wanting to be a prick! But when I start gettin phone calls & p/m on somthing a member is doing on the board,that's not done in an adult manor. I can become ONE!
So before we take the corrective measures to deal with my newest developement, ( postin like a fool) I would really like to know how everyone feels on this matter.
When the board was first set up,you had to use 20 characters in a post.
After some crying about the limit on postin.I was a nice guy & dropped the # down to 5. Well as you see it didn't take long for some people to abuse the post counting.
So I'm open for some input on this matter before we make it right.
Thanks for your input!
FGD
Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM
MadMax

Default Re: Lookin for YOUR opinion!

I for one would say YES! up the character #count to around 20-25 so it will Hopefully stop people post padding, just so they think they can get into B/S/T etc a lot faster by taking a ridiculous short cut

Just my 2p(UK) money LOL
Steve.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 AM

CatdrvR is on a distinguished road

I agree! I have noticed the post count padding which doesn't really matter to me since post count isn't what matters. It's the knowledge they offer. If somebody has 8,000 posts at the end of the first year that were all "nice," I probably wouldn't think much of that person. I think upping the character count isn't a bad idea, but at the same time I don't think it really matters. If the moderators notice the post padding in a timely fashion, then they can take care of it before it becomes a huge problem. I think the character limit should be upped though so posts have more substance. I am guilty of posting simply to compliment the person who built an awesome truck... but I try and offer SOME substance in that compliment. That's how I feel about it. Not sure if it's clear or not. haha

Dan
Old 08-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

SmallHaul will become famous soon enoughSmallHaul will become famous soon enough

I don't really care what my post count is because it really doesn't mean much. But, there are so many times that someone has a really nice build and I want to say "Nice Build" and just compliment them.

How about no minimum on characters per post but... it only adds to your post count if the post is over 25 characters? That would be cool.

"No load is too Small"
Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

freddy , It dose not matter to me . sometimes I am short for words heck why not just boot em after a couple of warnings if thats all they're doing is typing 400 post with nice,nice build they're not really contributing unless they have a build of they're own or helping others out . I've seen a few like that in other places , gets annoying

just my blunt $0.02
IHSteve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

Guess I'm just dense - don't understand why some people have to make a big deal about "count" or something else. Some seem to be in this for themselves. Anyway, I like Small Haul's idea of minimum characters before it applies to their count. Sometimes, a "nice build" says all you want; other times calling out specific items that you really like is warranted. I'm so new at this (working on a Komatsu dozer), I appreciate just being able to read the descriptions and see the pictures, with no concern about the counts. On the "previous forum" I was able to buy some items to help me along, so I do have an interest in being qualified to use the B/S/T.

Can the B/S/T forums be read-only for those with low post counts? Once you meet the requirement, then you could actively participate.

BIG THANKS! to Freddy and those who made this forum happen.

Ken Sharp
Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

I think there should be an AGE LIMIT! Not sure how to control it but I bet kids are the ones just looking for something to do. Maybe everyones age should be displayed?? I like the forum and if everyone is not willing to participate in a positive manner then they shouldn't be allowed.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:10 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

I have been on other work related professional forums where users who post pad like that have those posts deleted by mods/admin. They were also warned then banned for a day, week, and finally permanently if they can't get it. Sockpuppeting is an immediate ban. It is irritating to use the new posts feature in VB to have replies in 30 threads that are one or two words.

Thanks for striving to make the experience better.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Green Horn

Thorsteenster is on a distinguished road

Yeah, even though I may act like a post ***** at times, I could care less about it.
20 to 25 sounds about right, that pretty much kills "Nice truck!", but still allows for short responses.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Post count? What's that? You know a long time ago I joined a forum called Clodtalk.com. It's still up and running, and it is a vbulletin to boot, as is this one too. They had the same issue, with people just trying to run up their post counts, and I am not sure how they did it, but the offical post count was retained, so members were allowed access to the B/S/T section, but yet the post count under their screeen name, displayed for all to see would show a random number. It was the greatest thing I ever saw on a forum! One guy might have 7,856 posts one day, and the next day it would read -205. LOL It kept everyone guessing, but if you actually took the time to pull the offical stats on a member, you could see what the real post count was.

Regardless, I agree, there should be a character requirement. Lately we all have been posting some one liners, but that's because a lot of the builds posted are one we have seen before on other forums, and we commented on them over there.

With time, you will truly see who is interested in the project because of the skills and techniques used to build it, and the comments they leave, vs. the guys just saying, 'nice build', so they can get the post count up.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 AM

rcpuller is on a distinguished road

Freddy

I would say that the character count should be used. If someone has something thats constructive to post then 20-30 letters are not alot. this should stop spamming for post counts ..

jmho
Jeff
Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Radiowave Trucking is on a distinguished road

I'd also say put the charactor count should be 20-25.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:23 AM

Juganought is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Lookin for YOUR opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallHaul View Post
I don't really care what my post count is because it really doesn't mean much. But, there are so many times that someone has a really nice build and I want to say "Nice Build" and just compliment them.

How about no minimum on characters per post but... it only adds to your post count if the post is over 25 characters? That would be cool.
Didn't even know that you had character limits. I agree with SmallHaul, I would up it too
Old 08-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Master A-Modeler

sneaky-pete is on a distinguished road

In a way I agree with the post count or #of letters so on.............on the
other hand I'm at work most of the time I'm on here and have to keep it short and sweet.

I like to comment on builds and recieve comments on mine.

There are times when a nice job,good work,or wow will sum it up.

Most of the time I dont have questions or tips,etc.

I do agree when you see someone comment on 30 threads in an hours time.

my 2 cents!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

Hey guys i know i am bad on the short comments and complements i am bad at trying to find the words that are of any importance or in any way saticefactory to even compare to the skills of guys and gals on this site
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM

A32Limited is on a distinguished road

20-25 is fine for me. I don't post on every thread, regardless whether I have input or not, because I don't want someone to accuse me of post whoring, since some guys get pretty quick to jump down another's throat, or so my experience with the internet has been.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Admin RIP FGD 2-12-59/12-19-11

FreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Limited View Post
20-25 is fine for me. I don't post on every thread, regardless whether I have input or not, because I don't want someone to accuse me of post whoring, since some guys get pretty quick to jump down another's throat, or so my experience with the internet has been.
It's one thing to say"nice"once on one post. But to say nice on 40 of them in a row,is another. A lot of people say"nice build"all the time, Me included. You can tell if someone isn't acting there age with the posts.
FGD
If someone has a beef with a two word post,just put it on the bottom forum.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 PM

A32Limited is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGearDrive View Post
It's one thing to say"nice"once on one post. But to say nice on 40 of them in a row,is another. A lot of people say"nice build"all the time, Me included. You can tell if someone isn't acting there age with the posts.
FGD
If someone has a beef with a two word post,just put it on the bottom forum.
Yeah, I know what you're saying, I'm just paranoid about it, since I hate people calling me out. LOL
Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Bodyman is on a distinguished road

freddy,
i dont say much and i dont post just to raise my count. but it would be nice
to view buy/sell untill you have enough to post there.
heck, im still trying to fiqure out how to put photos in her or anywhere else.
my comp skills is lacking
steve
Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Green Horn

DieselKid is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm just as guilty as the next member when it comes to simple posts such as "Nice build"..."Great Progress", etc....and let's face it it makes us feel good as modelers to see that sort of response.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with a minimum character limitation for the simple fact that it only makes us better at what we do when someone leaves detailed feedback or asks a question in the mix.

****...worse comes to worse we improve this country's frightening illiteracy rate with an improved vocabulary....too many goll **** abbreviations for words anymore.

-Alex