RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

This is the only pic I have of a filter, look at the bottom of tank, that line goes into a white micron disposable filter. It was the smallest housing I could find. It had barbed ends on it for 1/4" tube and larger. I cut off the barbs and threaded it to accept the m5 hose fittings.

These are the motors I have, I can't find anything about running them higher voltages.
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...-218-1003.html. But if the larger (10 n 11 tooth) sprockets fit (chain clearance) I'll just stay 12 volts and pick up speed with gearing. I think that would probably be the best way. I've been acquiring several spare parts for future builds from this dozer build so adding a couple sprockets to the pile would help fund a future project (sounds good to wife).
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

You may have to put a woodruff key way on your drive shafts. The set screw on the flat will most likely keep loosing from the forward and backward movement. You may consider having a press fit on the sprockets too.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Green Horn

avel is on a distinguished road

Well my car, for example, when it's running voltage is around 14.5v. Most Lipo's discharge at around 3.8v-3.5v, that's where the voltage curve flattens out/they remain at the longest. I wouldn't think approx. 15v would hurt the drive motors. Especially if the speed is only needed in reverse and you aren't pushing anything.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:27 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

The motors don't cost that much... if they burn up from over voltage, easy enough to replace them & don't do that again.

The sprockets have dual set screws? On the track drives for the Vario, I drilled a shallow hole into the shaft so each set screw would lock into place. I haven't touched either drive in two yrs.

Joe
Old 05-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That's a good idea, I'll do that. The flat spot on the shaft allowed the set screw to move ever so much, but when it rolled to the edge of the flat I think it put an outward (oblong) pressure on the sprocket causing it to break. And after looking into the over volt on the motors wouldn't be that harmful to them, they are a pretty robust and slow motor to start. Agree with the cost , as I'm use to spending $300-600 on motors like lmk or neu and I push them to and beyond limits but still try very hard to limit the magic smoke when they disagree with what I put them through. Cooking some of them almost makes me cry . As long as the new larger sprockets don't hit anything I'm just going that route. I should have them tomorrow. A small hole and some red loctite should keep um planted.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Had a few trips to the house today, so a couple coats of paint on the ripper. Hydraulics are only thing left for paint.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And at the end of the day I drained the koi pond and started pulling out the liner. As the wife said I'm not allowed to have a giant open pit mine in the back yard, but she never said a time frame of how long I have to fill it in!! Should be able to make it all summer long project and by that time she will have accepted it lol!!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Green Horn

avel is on a distinguished road

LOL!
I too need to scrape off the top 6" or so around my "work site" so I don't have to deal with roots. Since I don't have an excavator I need a pretty large area (open pit mine) so that I can peel off the dirt and still make it out of the hole. I have some Tyco/Radioshack old RC cars that I am planning on turning into crude dump trucks for at least this summer.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:32 AM

anthonymcc is on a distinguished road

Great paint job on the Cat.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks on the paint, I'm working very hard on removing it,, lol!!!

Here are some pics in the tear down, to replace sprockets and check final drive sprockets too.

Kinda a tangled mess right now but things are secured and organized once together.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I didn't want to mess with tearing apart too many of the lines so I just pulled the sides off. Had to take tracks off but only have the blade tilt cylinders disconnected.

These are the choices of sprockets. I'm going to try the 11tooth ones. Had 9 on originally. I don't think two more teeth on primary will result in too much speed. And as you can see in the pic the 11t sprocket is good ole steel and lots of it. And I don't have to increase the clearance hole for the sprocket. And I will still have a bearing on the end of the shaft.
You can see the hole where the sprocket sets in. There is a 1/4" flanged bearing in there. I'm not sure what ones I originally had but in a few initial test runs both bearings came apart, ordered some from fast eddy and those seem to be holding up. As a precaution I'm going to throw new in anyway.

I guess this is the real trial and error or testing phase. And I found out weather it's a model I completely designed and built myself or one with instructions I still don't know how it goes together!! Lol!!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Put a small divot in the shaft for the second set screw that I will use this time
Old 05-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

You can buy set screws with different tips on them. Look in the McMaster Carr catalog. See the ones with the extended point. They have like a dowel shape to them and would go into your divot but be careful that the more material you remove from the shaft, the weaker it becomes. That is why I was saying to use a key in there and press the sprocket on to the shaft. What kind of steel are the shafts made of?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes, I didn't want to remove any more than necessary. That's why I didn't mess with the side with the flat. Shaft is what came with motors, reduced to 1/4 for sprockets. It didn't feel like anything other than carbon steel. Currently I don't have any broaches but is on the shopping list.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

This is the oil change after setting up and playing around, about 1 hour. Left is fresh new oil and right sample is old oil.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

http://youtu.be/eNRDkPP6vfI
Old 05-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I will upload at a better resolution. I did not know how to do that until my tec guy showed me ( my 5year old nephew. ) hopefully have some more video later today, tonight. Thanks and appreciate your comments. Oh, and the 11 tooth sprockets seem better to me.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Down at our Riverlot and I don't have a landline for upload connection , to get hd resolution, I will upload some videos tomorrow. Only thing down here is soil is riddled with roots and I'm constantly worried about entanglement in the tracks. So after a few drinks she just ran and ran and just tore through any roots!! Very happy with how strong this model has turned out!!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

http://youtu.be/gjTm-oizc58

This should be a better video, I started filling in the backyard koi pond.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road

Congratulations You did a Dirty Video with your Super Dozer Bye-Bye Koi Pond