RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Body Shop Tech

Body Shop Tech Body mods and tricks of the trade and painting tricks here.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road
Default WTF HAPPENED !!!

so as planned I painted my day cab today. I stripped the original paint using brake fluid. washed thoroughly then sanded with 1200 grit. I shot the primer last night at 8pm. ( first time using this primer )
at 2pm today I sprayed the black. all was going well, no runs, even coat, smooth surface and then in a matter of minutes things went south and now look like this....

and yet some spots came out perfect like the front of this fender....

but the backside of fender is also crap.

I suspect the paint didn't like the primer? what I don't get is why the inside of cab which had primer but not sanded shows no reaction??

Ive used this paint many many times over the years and never had a problem.

so the cab is back in a brake fluid bath again.
id like to try once more painting this before I get it done by a pro so any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks guys n gals.

Mario
Old 04-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WTF HAPPENED !!!

Oh that sucks! I had the same thing happen to the boat I made last year and my KW850 in random spots. It seemed to me like the paint had to go on the primer pretty much right away or I had to let it sit and cure for days. I'm not sure if that is the problem in your case but that's how it went for me.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Green Horn

Location: Mount Evelyn/Lilydale Area, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3796
Kingcam2 is on a distinguished road

I saw this when I was doing woodwork at school, it cause by if you paint some thing in water base and one that dried go over it with a oil base paint.

check both of you spray can and see what type of paint they are?

Last edited by Kingcam2; 04-05-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Hey Mario, that looks like I painted it! I'm really good at screwing up paint, I'm equally good at any color, flat, gloss, metallic, you name it, they all come out with a wrinkle finish rather I want them to or not.

I do feel for you.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Mario, what did you clean the body with after stripping? Did all of the brake fluid get washed off?
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

Mario I bet that the CTC primer is the problem... I have been told to stay away from that primer... It had a bad reaction ...
Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Match your primer . Does cat have some ? I have used the bondo brand primer in a pinch with the cat paint with good results . I've had that happen 1 time on a real truck , crap base paint reacted with the new paint . Pissed me the h3!! Off .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Green Horn

REV73 is on a distinguished road

It looks like that new crackle effect nail polish....quit raiding Sue's side of the vanity!!!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

I agree with flat deck someone told me always use matching products and stay away from crappy tire . Mike
Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Ken Orme is on a distinguished road

Mario;

If the inside of the hood was sprayed with the same primer as the outside the paints are compatable, you may have sprayed just enough color to cover it. On the outside you wanted a nice shine and you spreyed on more paint. The surface "flash" dried and sharnk. Try using lighter coats. Try this method on some scrap and see what happens.

Ken
Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys. I'm really kicking myself for two reasons. I shouldn't have tried that primer and the cat paint can be applied without primer!

Today's update, I got the paint off and looks like the primer did more than react with the paint the crackle you see in the first pics is still there and you can feel the roughness of them

That's it. I ordered a new cab today

Mario
Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

boo urns!! atleast you can get a replacement cab and this didnt happen to a custom built one!!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
Thanks guys. I'm really kicking myself for two reasons. I shouldn't have tried that primer and the cat paint can be applied without primer!

Today's update, I got the paint off and looks like the primer did more than react with the paint the crackle you see in the first pics is still there and you can feel the roughness of them

That's it. I ordered a new cab today

Mario
You should just build an aluminum cab. At least it won't look like an old "B" sack if the paint wrinkles.

Sorry for poking fun. I feel your pain because I also struggle with painting. It really should be one of the best parts of the build but for me it is always the most stressful. I painted my Volvo's body with 4 different brands of paint. The one that finally went on the easiest was the Armor coat... Go figure...

On my KH, I used automotive touch up paint(base and clear) but used primer from Princess auto. I had no problems with that one but let the primer cure for days before I laid the color and clear. I think the solvents in the primer need to kick off for a few days if you aren't painting immediately. On some of the primer I have used it said to paint within an hour or wait at least 48 hours.

Reg
Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

here's what the hood looks like

on the bright side, all is not lost. glad to start with a new clean body and a buddy at work contacted his friend who paints at a autobody shop. he will do for free.
and now I have a body to practice cutting and filling! I can cut the light boxes off and fill in the fenders. then I want to try cutting doors and come up with a hinge. ( opening doors or atleast one door would really help on a day cab I figure. )

so the crackle cab is now a chop and learn cab.

Id love to build a cab out of aluminum Reg but the money spent to get the tooling required could buy me a new 4200 excavator or Wedico 345 !

Mario
Old 04-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Id love to build a cab out of aluminum Reg but the money spent to get the tooling required could buy me a new 4200 excavator or Wedico 345 !

Mario[/QUOTE]

Yes that's probably true! From my experience, plastic or metal I still can't paint worth a $#I+! I think I will keep coming up with details to add to the Hayes. That way it is never finished and can't be painted!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:21 PM

Backlash is on a distinguished road

That to me looks like the reaction you get when you use an oil based primer, and an acrylic (solvent/thinner) automotive based top coat..

It is upsetting though when all of that time and effort preparing the surface goes to waste when something like this happens..
Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Had the same thing happen with Krylon paint on my day cab. had to sand block the whole cab smooth again. I was really pissed. so cab still sits in primer cause im afraid to paint it. HAHA. no seriously paint terrifies me now... so now I will sand and send to someone who can paint good..

you can sand that cab and still use it as a test cab for body work.

Oh and try rubbing alcohol and cotton balls. it may soften the primer and smooth it out too.

Last edited by dabears; 04-10-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: WTF HAPPENED !!!

I've been always leery of using brake fluid because it can react to softer types of styrene.

I've had better luck with Pine Sol, but watch the time spent in the fluid as it can heat-up and soften the structure of the plastic.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
I've been always leery of using brake fluid because it can react to softer types of styrene.

I've had better luck with Pine Sol, but watch the time spent in the fluid as it can heat-up and soften the structure of the plastic.

Jeff
I too was Leery about using brake fluid. I wanted to know how long was too long so I used the back plate of the sleeper as a test subject. I let it soak fully submerged for 12 hrs. The paint wiped right off and absolutely no effect or damage to the plastic. So even with paint removed I threw it back in for 24hrs. No damage or softness at all. Even the moulded rivets are still strong and sharp.

Then I knew I could strip the cab with brake fluid and not have to worry. As Aaron said, painting worries me and should be left to professionals.

I used DOT 4 type fluid by the way! I have no idea what the effects of using DOT 3 or any other type of brake fluid. I don't want anyone to use the wrong type and then blame me because I said it was ok.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Orme View Post
Mario;

If the inside of the hood was sprayed with the same primer as the outside the paints are compatable, you may have sprayed just enough color to cover it. On the outside you wanted a nice shine and you spreyed on more paint. The surface "flash" dried and sharnk. Try using lighter coats. Try this method on some scrap and see what happens.

Ken
Hey Ken. Sorry I missed your post. You are absolutely right! I did go just a light spray on the inside compared to the outside! It all looked good, I should have stopped but I noticed one or two crackles in the hood so what did I do? I put More paint of course!
The more I tried to cover it, the worse it got! It all makes sense now but....why did it damage the plastic?