RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Wannabe

up9018 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this hobby dying in the US?

I am still floating around here. I check in daily to see what people are doing, and get information and inspiration.

I took the first and only build I have apart last winter for a repaint and some upgrades. Then as they say "It Happens" and the truck was put into about 3 boxes and has spent the last year on the shelf. I actually pulled it out a couple of days before this post started to go thru my inventory and hopefully get it back together.

I will probably be one of those people who are "One and Done" that Lil_Giants described, and for the reason he mentioned. There are a couple of people floating around here that have trucks, but there are no events to speak of. Indy is a 10 hour drive, and that is the closest thing that goes on for me. I will probably get it back together, build a trailer and just go back to taking it to the City Cemetery and drive it around over lunch hour.

I have noticed that a lot of the people I was going to get some parts from seem to be out of the game or just not advertising here. That is understandable, it is often said that when your hobby becomes a job it is no longer fun.

Chris
Old 12-23-2016, 12:12 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

I hadn't really considered this hobby to have fully caught on in the US/Canada. Several small vendors and a couple bigger vendors, but mostly it feels underground. The high price is likely part of it. One truck will be lonely without something to load it with making it an all-or-nothing kind of deal.

I've been interested in it for a pretty long time, but still haven't completed a single vehicle. West coast mini truckers puts on several events within driving distance of me, but I just don't invest the time without having something finished to play with. I've made progress, but other things pull me away. Lately it has been my 1:1 off road toy which is also a money pit.

I've tried to jumpstart my own interest in the past by ordering a pile of new components, which does get me going only to fade out in a few weeks. Reading this forum and watching YouTube videos of the European events are probably the only things I do with regularity.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 PM

Mech_Eng is on a distinguished road

I agree with a lot of things said here:

The hobby has not taken off in the US yet: not only truth but it makes the hobby less attractive due to the wait time for parts not available in the US....my Carson 634 has been down for months, first it was hydraulic problems, now I'm waiting on new track motors...grrr

Expensive? Yes, very! Anytime you make precision parts in low volume, they will be expensive. Additionally, I do believe there is an incredible markup on some products, not all...

Facebook? I certainty can't acquire the information I can on this site on FB but it sure is a lot easier to post pics on FB. That is the only potential negative to this wonderful site.

Less people are technical these days: i could not have gotten to this hobby without experience building/wiring things in the past. My mechanical engineering degree does not hurt either the only reason I bring this up is the fact that so many rc enthusiasts are into plug n play drones these days. I say no thanks! I like the building parts myself!

I also understand people come and go, I've only been playing in 1/14th for a year or so. The cost of parts and wait time have definitely tested my interest in the hobby....

As for this site, I sure wish I could post photos from my mobile device without a hosting site, I would even be willing to donate to the cause to make it happen. Lastly, I want to thank the folks that take the time to post and make this site awesome!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:57 AM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

I'm still here, ain't planning on going anywhere. This hobby, as with any other venture is what one wants and make. Yes it's expensive, but i do think this hobby is starting to expand here in the US. I do hope that it continues to grow. i look forward to seeing all the new builds here and at the shows.

Rob
Old 12-26-2016, 12:12 PM

fvasileios is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I don't know if anyone else mentioned it but RCP57(post#6) totally covered me.i believe also that the difficulty of uploading pics in this forum is working as a brake for new members...(including me).
I have something like one free hour/day to post,read or search the web...and mostly using a smartphone.in rcgroups I can post a picture straight from my smartphone's camera collection.
Sorry to mention another forum but in a couple of months I'll receive new Volvo from verkerk and I'm waiting like crazy to make a build log in both forums.but I know that when it comes to photo uploading I'll give here the link of the other build log...

Money is another reason but I always believe that when you love something you 'll find a way to do it...

Kind regards to all truckers from Greece and wish you a happy new coming year...
Bill...

I forgot to say thank you to all members,specially the older ones because this forum for me is like an encyclopedia for rc trucks...

Last edited by fvasileios; 12-26-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:49 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

I'm still on here occasionally. Ill just check in once a week or so. I kinda got out of it for while. I spent the last 2 years working on a mustang project. the 2 years before that was spent building our new home and my garage for more future projects. I always have tended to get into a hobby/interest full bore for awhile them get out of it. I don't know why, maybe I just get bored with it. I still have my green triaxle, I'll never get rid of it, as for the other trucks i sold them to help finance this Mustang project. Unfortunately i cant keep them all. Currently I'm looking to sell the Mustang, maybe, to finance my next endeavor.
This hobby is expensive, but what hobby isn't. when you look at the detail and functions of some these pieces its worth it. If you can't afford 5k on a truck or piece of equipment don't buy one. Buy what you can afford without breaking the bank. Also The more you can do on your own will also help the budget.

I have seen the hobby not grow as fast in the last few years as it did a while back. For a while it was really looking like we could compete with Germany with events and such.

I too have seen a lot of individuals come and go from the hobby. Some will be dearly missed and some not at all. I think it has to do a lot with priorities and just how life is going at the time whether or not your in or out of a hobby.

The one thing that I think would make the hobby more affordable is a US based company for hydraulics. When I was doing my builds the wait from Germany or wherever was also an issue for me. Who wants to wait?

Anyway I'm still here but not active as before. Who know my kids may want to build a truck and I'll be back into it.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

I've been dreaming of buying RC construction equipment for along time. I finally bought 2 construction equipments recently mainly because the euro is almost par with the dollar. Its a great time for us to buy stuff from Europe. The problem is we are so spread out here. I don't know anyone else that has RC construction equipment in California.
And the other observation I noticed was that in Europe they are more interested in moving dirt (construction trucks, equipments, dump trucks etc.) While in US we are more into trailer trucks for long hauling? Europe now has 3 indoor locations dedicated for RC construction equipments.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Is this hobby dying in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in PA View Post
I'm still on here occasionally. Ill just check in once a week or so. I kinda got out of it for while. I spent the last 2 years working on a mustang project. the 2 years before that was spent building our new home and my garage for more future projects. I always have tended to get into a hobby/interest full bore for awhile them get out of it. I don't know why, maybe I just get bored with it. I still have my green triaxle, I'll never get rid of it, as for the other trucks i sold them to help finance this Mustang project. Unfortunately i cant keep them all. Currently I'm looking to sell the Mustang, maybe, to finance my next endeavor.
This hobby is expensive, but what hobby isn't. when you look at the detail and functions of some these pieces its worth it. If you can't afford 5k on a truck or piece of equipment don't buy one. Buy what you can afford without breaking the bank. Also The more you can do on your own will also help the budget.

I have seen the hobby not grow as fast in the last few years as it did a while back. For a while it was really looking like we could compete with Germany with events and such.

I too have seen a lot of individuals come and go from the hobby. Some will be dearly missed and some not at all. I think it has to do a lot with priorities and just how life is going at the time whether or not your in or out of a hobby.

The one thing that I think would make the hobby more affordable is a US based company for hydraulics. When I was doing my builds the wait from Germany or wherever was also an issue for me. Who wants to wait?

Anyway I'm still here but not active as before. Who know my kids may want to build a truck and I'll be back into it.
I truly miss the days when you would post builds on here along with Stylin N Proflyin, Tamiya Cowboy, SneakyPete, MackDaddy and ALL the others (I know some of these guy still do but it's not like back when it was everyday!). This forum was more fun back then but I understand things change and you are right, what isn't expensive. I hope your boys drag you back in.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Still here, just took a hiatus. Wanted to wrenchbon dads old jeep and this was a good year for it.

As for the us vs Europe - population density. The shear distance between like minded people.
Another thing is cultural, Europeans IMO have a heratige of investing for the long term. Like buying a car that lasts a lifetime. Whereas here in the US we change cars every 3 years because we just want. Therefore we don't save and afford expensive things.

I was told, in some countries autos are shared amongst several families like time share.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

i'm new to r/c construction but been messing with r/c for 30+. From what I've seen this hobby just has a hard growth rate due to price and "fun now" factor. Whenever I watch vids from EU or where ever it's still older guys, not many kids operating. Sure, part of it is the cost of the machines and also just how kids aren't that interested in machinery/mechanics as we were growing up. I'm seeing this in all aspects of r/c though, not just trucks/construction. Only exception is drones. Any 8yr old can fly a $50-$2,000 quad now with how the electronics have come. Once they have to read or learn something about it though, they are on their device. I'm also guessing if your not already in this hobby as a 40+ year old person, either the price or learning curve (time invested, not metal) just isn't gonna cut it unless your already a heavy equipment or r/c junkie.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 01-08-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road

I sure hope this aspect of the RC hobby isn't dying as I just ordered my first semi after years and years of wanting one! Sadly, it looks like I may be the only one with a semi in central Texas that I'm aware of. I haven't seen much activity for trucks/construction stuff. Racing, crawling, and drifting, however, are all doing pretty well!

If anyone is in the Austin/Houston/San Antonio/DFW areas, please hit me up!
Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM

kwalker is on a distinguished road

I am new to this site, and I have a lot of interest in these rc models! The only rc I own right now is a traxxas summit, but I plan on someday having a custom peterbilt like the ones on here! Money is the only problem right now haha. I enjoy seeing all of these builds!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:32 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Is this hobby dying in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalker View Post
I am new to this site, and I have a lot of interest in these rc models! The only rc I own right now is a traxxas summit, but I plan on someday having a custom peterbilt like the ones on here! Money is the only problem right now haha. I enjoy seeing all of these builds!
Welcome aboard Klayton, this is exactly what this website needs.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:29 AM

kwalker is on a distinguished road

Thanks Criag, its amazing what talent people have on here! I really enjoyed seeing all the stuff that rc farmer has built!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Tommy R - you might be closer to the root issue about our hobby than you think.
When I ordered my first truck, the local shop guy gave me a funny look and said what's this?. Once it came in he said after 25 yes in the hobby and running a shop for most of them he didn't know of these trucks. Said he wouldn't be of much help with them as well.
I did take my truck back over to show it to him, but he had no interest so I didn't go any further.
He has no idea about all the construction stuff and neither does any of the other guys.
I guess a father or uncle could take interest in our stuff, while the kids are wrapped up in going fast.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I've never seen a semi or construction vehicle, or even kit / accessory in a hobby shop. I only learned about them on a scale rock crawler site, and an old RC book i bought had a build on a tamiya semi.

There's NO exposure unless you're already into rc and looking to branch out. A couple of the 'big' rc channels on youtube have built one, but otherwise unless they know where to look, nobody really knows you're here.

There are the big shows around the country, that get couple thousand visitors. Which don't usually get much advertising to people who didn't already know it was there...

i'm in Indy, been into hobby rc since 2003. I first heard about there even being an indy show sometime at the 'adams mark near the airport' back around maybe 08, and finally made it to one in 16 because nobody shares info or tries to hype it up. Other than here, trying to even find a name for the show to search for was like pulling teeth.

Last edited by frizzen; 01-10-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Local shops are not interested here either. The biggest shop finally has a truck and trailer built but it's all stock and they just used it in a parade and parked it. As far as I know, they have no plans to get involved beyond that. They don't want to stock any kits. I even approached them about putting a truck in their store on commission but no dice. They say there is no market but if people don't know the stuff exists then they can't try to get involved.lol
Old 01-18-2017, 12:44 PM

huber1918 is on a distinguished road

I just purchased my first Semi Kit. I have been wanting one ever since I was little. I am most likely one of the youngs members here.

Locally there is very little support for this part of the RC hobby. They are big into the scalers but thats about it.. I went to the Twin Cities a few months back and stopped at their hobby store. Much to my suprise they had a number of semi kits and trailers in stock.

As people have said before, I think the big hold back is the costs and the availablity of parts. This is not a cheap hobby, you could easily spent 1,100 + on the tractor alone if you wanted. I am a little suprised that there are not as many companies into this besides Tamiya.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by huber1918 View Post
I am a little surprised that there are not as many companies into this besides Tamiya.
High production costs vs low volume sales in a very niche market.

I would say there's lots of choice products out there today, though much of it would come from overseas. The rc heavy commercial hobby has ballooned 1000 fold from just 5yrs ago... and 5yrs before that there was just about nothing for aftermarket.

Joe
Old 01-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Is this hobby dying in the US?

R/C Trucking is NOT dying in the U.S.! In the past 20 years, it has hardly even been noticed by the mainline hobby industry. With every show that I attend people are always asking about the trucks and proclaiming how they have never seen them before.

In the March/April edition of Road King Magazine, the West Coast Mini Truckers is going to have a 5 page article. It will mention the East Coast Mini Truckers, Central Plains Mini Truckers and the Deep South Mini Truckers, as well as www.rctrucksandconstruction.com. We have hope that it should renew interest in our hobby and bring new prospects as well.

Although the prices seem high, it is a recreational hobby that can be embraced by the young & old alike. You can choose to save up and make one big purchase or make several smaller purchases to build as you acquire parts.

It will bring opportunities for your children to learn how to work with their hands and give them a sense of accomplishment when they finish a build. Then they can drive it in your backyard, at a local park or in a safe corner of a parking lot.

For adults and the disabled, it gives you a project to work on in your spare time. When finished you have a beautiful display piece for your home and an operational unit to show off with friends and at planned recreational events.

Share the Joy
- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."