RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zil 130 Thing

It’s a real cool looking truck

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:53 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by egronvold View Post
It’s a real cool looking truck
Thanks very much!

Old 05-21-2021, 03:30 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear they are standing behind their sale...good to know.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:51 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
Glad to hear they are standing behind their sale...good to know.
Asia Tees, yes. King Kong RC? Eh, maybe not so much.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:03 PM
Journeyman

Yeah... but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye
Old 05-21-2021, 06:51 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
Yeah... but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye
True!!

Old 05-24-2021, 11:41 AM
Green Horn

A couple pics of the chassis painted and assembled. Still need to get a drag link in there and I may tweak the spring rates a bit more, but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. The suspension is a bit stiff and doesn't have much travel, but that's pretty scale so maybe I'll leave it as is.

And here's something I'm open to input on. I need to determine a color for this thing. I want it to look like a vintage restoration so an older style and color is preferred. My only requirement is not blue. I always seem to paint my rigs some form of blue and I want something different! Here's some examples of what I'm considering. Let me know if you have any cool color schemes I should consider.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:25 PM
Journeyman

That's a tough one 'cause back in the day colors weren't flashy they were more utilitarian, unless the owner had something custom done after he bought it.
Red was always classic, and Blue but we already know that ones out LOL. Black, Tan and even Brown ... You know a brown and tan 2 tone might look pretty cool... Maybe a rootbeer brown metallic with some shade of tan fenders and accents...just a thought...
Old 05-24-2021, 10:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda seeing it in a 2-tone. Nice, but work clothes. With body color like maybe either Green or Grey?

White roof, color from drip rail to beltline, white below beltline, color fenders, white bumpers & trim.

White above beltline, color below, white bumpers & trim.

Then maybe some lettering or logo on the doors?
Old 05-26-2021, 10:48 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
I'm kinda seeing it in a 2-tone. Nice, but work clothes. With body color like maybe either Green or Grey?

White roof, color from drip rail to beltline, white below beltline, color fenders, white bumpers & trim.

White above beltline, color below, white bumpers & trim.

Then maybe some lettering or logo on the doors?
Great minds think alike! Nothing says vintage truck like white-plus-a-color-that-was-in-your-grandma's-kitchen (think mint green, or or like a brick red, or ...) Do a Google images search for "60's two tone truck" {decade was arbitrary) and you'll see what I mean.

And yeah, logo with faux business name would be fantastic! (Says the guy who can't paint for squat =)) If you're a Top Gear fan, you could do "Peniston Oils" or "Larsen Biscuits", or "Clarkson Hammond May Sodium & Eels, Esq". If you're not into those idiots, even just the family name as a farm store or something would be spiffy.

Now I wanna do like a 40's or 50's COE truck. Dangit.

-- A
Old 05-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Green Horn

I appreciate y'all's input! It sounds like we're all pretty much on the same wavelength. My initial plan was to replicate this truck's paint, possibly with a bit more white:

I even picked up some Tamiya Coral Teal (or whatever it's called). But I felt it was too close to blue and I really want to change my trend of blue vehicles. It's also too close to the color of my Defender D110. Told ya I have an issue with too many blue rigs!

My plan was always some sort of two tone with a primary color (TBD) along with a white or off-white. I don't want any metallics, though. I don't think it would look right as metallics weren't common on trucks in the '50s. I was leaning to red/white like the truck below (but with a gloss finish), but I'm rather intrigued by the brown/tan idea!

One thing to note... It's going to be difficult to paint the grill like an IH given the shape of the Zil's front end. So I was leaning toward painting the whole front clip in white.....like this, unless someone has a better idea?

Old 05-27-2021, 03:54 PM
Journeyman

I went back and looked and yeah it would be tough to paint just the center.....IDK...guess it depends on your skill level.... I would have to go with this one above with my skill level...LOL
Old 05-27-2021, 06:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: This could be Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Looks like on a lot of them, just the horizontal bars that were done white

What if you were to spray the whole nose panel white, then mask off the sections inside the recessed headlight surrounds and try to mask the grill at the fender/grill crease? So the fenders are color

Tie the white nose into another white area kinda like this?
https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/Int...l_L-110_Series
Old 05-28-2021, 11:11 AM
Green Horn

Yeah, I'm still not exactly sure how to get the look I'm after. And I'm not confident that I'd be able to mask the paint scheme cleanly enough, especially with all the curves on this front end. Maybe I'll look for a different style of paint scheme. Perhaps moving the beltline to the bottom of the hood? Bottom one color, top another? And perhaps the roof could be white? I've got to do some searching to get some inspiration because forward progress on this thing is stalling until I get the paint done. Hmmm.....

Old 05-28-2021, 01:12 PM
Green Horn

I'm no upholstery guy, but I figured as stiff as the suspension is on this antique, my driver deserves a wee bit of comfort!

Old 05-28-2021, 04:53 PM

TaltosVT is on a distinguished road

Love the upholstery!
Old 05-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Green Horn

Why must I continually torture myself? So the new hood from Asia Tees showed up and it's perfect. And then I was doing some research on 2 tone paint schemes and I think I have a plan. Well, that's the good news. Oh, and here's a quick pic of the hood. I'll need new magnets to get it to sit securely.

The bad news? I've decided that to get the look I'm after, the roof needs to be smooth. I've got some work ahead of me.....again.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:39 PM
Green Horn

Well, modifying the hood didn't take long! Removed the peak from the hood and also started the nose modifications to make it look more like a '56 binder. The scallops on the side of the Zil hood will remain. That would be too much hassle to remove them. Right??

Old 05-29-2021, 03:41 PM
Journeyman

The new hood looks good, I know they aren't on the original but I think the hood scallops look good.
Is that the color...green and white... pretty classic..!!
Old 05-29-2021, 04:05 PM
Green Horn

I agree about the scallops so they'll very likely remain. But nope, it won't be green and white, mainly 'cause green is too close to blue. I want to mix is up a bit and that's what will happen. In fact, I'll be breaking one of my criteria for this build, but "rules" were made to be broken, right? LOL I haven't completely confirmed the colors or paint scheme yet. I need to spray a couple test pieces first, but here's a few hints at what's inspiring me now: