RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 11-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Everything looks great so far....like the size of this build !!!
What is the size of the tires??? Two tires have a dull appearance did you sand them to remove the shine?? If so would lightly bead blasting them be an easier way to remove the shine..
Old 11-30-2015, 11:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

They (shiney ones) are recently made and still have some releas agent on them. The dull ones are older and more true to what they will finally look like.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:56 PM
Apprentice

Ok got it....hey how big are the tires?
Old 12-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tire size = big!!

Lol!! Almost 2 1/2" wide at widest point and just shy of 8 1/2 tall. Had some shrinkage , lol!!

And time for an animal torture pic, I just had to place the "bird" feeder next to window right after I moved the plant stand with the cat bed in it!! Lol!!

I was out in garage and kept hearing a banging, cat chirping,,,, walked right up to the both of them and like I wasn't even there!! He was crying really weird and shaking.

Mission accomplished for him biteing me at 4 in morning!!!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Maybe he's just missing Mr nutter!

Tires are insane! This will be one great build when your done.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Apprentice

Tire size does = big, those big tires will really add to the look of that truck when it is finished!! Keep up with the great work, always looking forward to seeing the new pics of this truck build......
KP
Old 12-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok not looking forward to this operation. This may be one of the more difficult set ups and operations I have done. I don't have a centering chuck for this rotary table and even if I did I don't have the clearance. But the angles being cut will be parallel with table travel once moved off center. This is to allow the inner rims to be slid onto wheel hub then rotated for bolting two halves of wheel rim to the body of hub. Or should I have said like the 1:1 machines . Ugg guess it's got to be done .
Old 12-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Cooper-that cut seems to be a long way from the table. Hope your mounting is good. I haven't understood what you are doing with the wheels but I thought I would just wait until they were done. I'm sure it will be good. Question-why did you decide to make such a large truck at such a large scale? The reason I ask this is that most mines seem to match truck size with shovel size. I think they like to load with 4-6 buckets per truck. If you load this truck with your standard excavator that will be like "filling a 5-gal. bucket with a teaspoon". Do you have plans for a larger bucket or maybe a larger excavator? Keep the pictures coming.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

there are plans for a large bucket rw just dont know it yet LOL!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Bolt a piece of metal to your rotary table then mill a circular boss to locate your rims on center. Then you can place the next one on the table and it will be located. You will have to have a nice fit though. Make it big enough to have your studs for the clamps to screw in or double nut by using the slots then a nut to hold plate then long enough to clamp rim down.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road

Your work looks great, getting a kick out of squirrel pictures lol!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Cooper-that cut seems to be a long way from the table. Hope your mounting is good. I haven't understood what you are doing with the wheels but I thought I would just wait until they were done. I'm sure it will be good. Question-why did you decide to make such a large truck at such a large scale? The reason I ask this is that most mines seem to match truck size with shovel size. I think they like to load with 4-6 buckets per truck. If you load this truck with your standard excavator that will be like "filling a 5-gal. bucket with a teaspoon". Do you have plans for a larger bucket or maybe a larger excavator? Keep the pictures coming.
Well,,,, I guess I like digging more than driving but that's the reason for such a large haul truck and small excavator to load. Also it's what I got . When planning this type of truck I wanted to make the biggest (largest load capacity) I could. In the beginning I had excavator height to limit the build or it would have been a 797. The dumptruck I have is loaded with three scoops. That's too quick for me . For my enjoyment I like the idea of taking a while to load and short amount of time to haul/dump.
As far as wheels, I'm done with one side for back axle rims, well almost have to cut some more. And the duel hub needs cut to accept rims. They are going to bolt onto wheel hub and when they do they will be clamping the tire. Hopefully no wheel/rim spinning. If it does happen I can mill of some material on inside of two piece rims. I made them a little thick for that reason. (I don't know what to expect with that silicone rubber in the long run. Hopefully by weekend I'll have one side done to show. Or by weekend I'll have more spare future build parts
Old 12-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Wannabe

andyathome is on a distinguished road

I cant wait to see the new excavator to match this awesome truck....

it has to be a large front shovel , but seriously I think the tyres came out fantastic.

cheers andy
Old 12-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
Your work looks great, getting a kick out of squirrel pictures lol!
Lol!! Thanks, I'm just as much a nut as that little tree rat in the pic more nuttier than an outhouse at a peanut farm
Old 12-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Bolt a piece of metal to your rotary table then mill a circular boss to locate your rims on center. Then you can place the next one on the table and it will be located. You will have to have a nice fit though. Make it big enough to have your studs for the clamps to screw in or double nut by using the slots then a nut to hold plate then long enough to clamp rim down.
Thanks Steve, I was thinking other end, was going to make a piece to chuck up in the mill and then slide into part. I guess what you said but up side down I think I'll go with what you suggest. I've been wanting to make a plate with a few holes machined into it that bolts to rotary table. Having something like that would give me more future clamping ability. I was planning on clamping part around bottom ring and also having a shaft (long bolt) up through center with plate to clamp from top also. Probably have to recess it so milling tools have clearance. Was wanting to use something around 3/16 for mill to get a small as possible inside radius on cuts. Plus the endmill I want to use has shaft same diameter as cutting blades. Can run right up along part without cutting too deep. Haven't had a mill crash in long time and don't want one anytime soon. At least this operation will not be 20min set up 1 min cutting time. And one of those parts that now I need to make more parts to cut the part!!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

"And one of those parts that now I need to make more parts to cut the part!!!!"

Welcome to the world of machining son

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post

This may give you a better idea of what I'm trying to do. The bolt flange allows the rim to rotate past mounting ears then rotated a bit to line up bolt holes.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well this is what a couple hours in garage netted me tonight. Had to make new t slot nuts for bolts I have. (Metric/standard!! I've got all the wrong things I need!! One of these days I'll actually have what i when I need it!!). Still have to make a block for top that is recessed. That way I'll get the mill spindle clearance I need for a small endmill. It's going to bolt down from top, alignment boss bolted to plate, plate bolted to table. And also for security I will bolt down bottom ring to plate also. The bolt in center will be enough for light cuts I'm doing but why skimp on the tooling department!!! Lol!! Another tool/jig to add to pile. (That I will probably never have a use for again!!!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Cooper-that picture helps a bit but still confusing to me but no worries, I'm old!! Your fixture looks good but I would be careful with the aluminum threads. In my experience they will eventually fail. This probably doesn't help your feelings but I have at least a dozen fixtures that I used only one time. Seems like we spend more time making fixtures than actually making parts but I think that is part of the game. I'm enjoying watching..
Old 12-04-2015, 12:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yeah, I don't like the idea of alum threading for milling jigs but one offs don't bother me. And I'm sure I could get a couple dozen jobs out of this before any worries. And I have the aluminum stock on hand, no steel around to use. But,,,, I have been wanting to make a bolting plate for the rotary table. If I eventually do it will be made out of steel, something that I can use for whatever other projects the future holds.

Another thing on the list of toys and items I am going to steal from my fellow Canadian islander if I ever get out there, that steel fixture he has on his rotary table