RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

The tracks are scale in width, I don't have any plans to measure from except the cat dimensions cats sites. Standard stuff like height, gauge, ect,,, I did get a die cast model 1:50 scale to " look " at and somewhat reference. I did break down last week and order a shop/parts manual for a cat d11r from eBay . Hopefully I will find some good info in them. As far as thick, they probably are. This is going to be somewhat scale in appearance (I hope to at least) but is intended to be put to work on our 1:16 scale trophy truck race track at a summertime Riverlot. Soil is pretty soft. Once disturbed (tilled) it will be like playing in a sandbox. Thanks for watching, and yes the tracks are a true test into self discipline and wanting to go beat my dog!!! (Lol, love animals, as in the one pic our 9month old Dane 150lb puppy has a pretty cushy life!!!)
Old 12-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Measuring the diecast is the only method I use to get dimensions for scaling. Measure what ever part you want to produce on the diecast, multiply by 50 to bring it full scale and then divide by 14.5 to bring it to the scale your building in. Building models this way keeps the proportions roughly the same and is what I call it. ( looks right scale)
Rob
Old 12-13-2013, 10:23 AM

gauthib12 is on a distinguished road

Hey Cooper,

I am building a D11 as well, your tracks look awesome! I am doing a 1:14 scale, the standard track pad on the dozer is 36" scaled is 65 mm or 2.55" wide and appx 1.07" in cross section.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthib12 View Post
Hey Cooper,

I am building a D11 as well, your tracks look awesome! I am doing a 1:14 scale, the standard track pad on the dozer is 36" scaled is 65 mm or 2.55" wide and appx 1.07" in cross section.
Thanks, I think my tracks are 2" wide, 1" long and 1/2" total height. Or slightly smaller, I used 1 x 1/2 stock to mill them. For these parts that come out in the thousands I just use a round number. For the most part I'm building scale but not going to be as detailed as a couple builds I've seen. Wow hats off to those guys! The one I saw could be passed off as the real thing just shrunk!!! And this is a first build for me so getting to understand the mechanics of working parts is more of the importance to me than exacting scale. But am trying to seep it real, close
Old 12-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Measuring the diecast is the only method I use to get dimensions for scaling. Measure what ever part you want to produce on the diecast, multiply by 50 to bring it full scale and then divide by 14.5 to bring it to the scale your building in. Building models this way keeps the proportions roughly the same and is what I call it. ( looks right scale)
Rob
Thanks for the input, I didn't know what others did in acquiring dimensions. So the measure, multiply and divide calipers will work just fine
Old 12-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Cooper-you are doing a great job on this build. Exact scale is not important to everyone. Most people do not have access to machinery to measure and photograph and the die-cast models are not 100% accurate. I always said I wanted a model that looked okay and work GREAT in the dirt. To me that is what matters. Keep up the great work!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Cooper I think you are doing a awsome job on these tracks so for ..Its alot of work and not just anybody can pull it off ...looking forward to up dates
Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes that is my goal, to look good but work great!!! Thank you for the encouragement and replies. Always like the input. As I don't really know what I'm doing I will try and post intentions and get feedback before I make the mistake !!! I am thinking of using acetal (plastic) for the rollers. Other choice was/is brass. I don't think the black acetal will look good but I could get yellow. Pros / cons anyone? I'm undecided on material for rollers. They are going to be straight shafts no bushings or bearings. So acetial or the brass will function on steel shafts well, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.5 KB, 166 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Just a close up of the material. This isn't final cuts, just eyeballed real quick to get an idea. Boy this stuff is fun to cut!! Like butter, actually softer than butter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.8 KB, 153 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 04:43 PM

Fired up is on a distinguished road

Like your tracks. Do you have a cnc mill? Looking at a can router.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:26 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

80lbs track hoe uses acetal rollers on steel shafts without any problems.

Your build thread is likely going to be filled with hundreds of pictures, you should look at linking your photos from a photo host site sooner than later.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ead.php?t=4057
Photobucket is one option, there are other sites out there too, like Flikr or Image Shack. They're all free to use, just sign up & get started.

Joe
Old 12-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fired up View Post
Like your tracks. Do you have a cnc mill? Looking at a can router.
No CNC, for me it's Crank, read Number, then Crank again, that's my CNC,
Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks lil'giant, I appreciate all your feedback. Guess it's just up to me if I want brass or acetal. I will try and get up with the photobucket rout. One more pic, I'm not a machinist, just learn from mistakes and others. This was a big piece for me to use a parting too on, my little lathe was talking pretty loudly to me and I didn't have the guts to cut it the whole way so the last 1/2" I cut with hacksaw. I got some 3 3/4" round pieces from local machine shop cheep so a lot of passes to get down to size and I don't have a band saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.2 KB, 145 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Cooper-I am also a "backyard machinist" self taught. I had problems with the cut-off tool until I learned how to sharpen it. If the tool is right and sitting at the correct height you should be able to go right thru that big stuff. Maybe some of the real machinist on here can help you. I think the delrin (plastic) will work just fine. In some cases it will outlast aluminum. Keep cranking!!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:22 AM

RC_Dozer is on a distinguished road

Cooper, awsome build! I really the way you designed those tracks.
I'll keep following you build closely.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM

Fired up is on a distinguished road

Wow lots of cranking I would like to pick up a small cnc router
Old 12-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Very impressive work, Cooper. All manually machined too. That's awesome. Love the garage. It looks like a great place to spend a day hanging out. Nicer then some people's houses, or basements, I think! Looking forward to the updates.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Had some time to make the sprocket drive. I'm not sure about getting the shaft from motors to sprocket. I have to get some bearings and don't know what sizes I'll get so I just left it solid for now. But messed up the hole pattern on the first one so have to get some more stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

http://www.servocity.com/html/20_rpm...ear_motor.html
Hey guys, got a drivetrain question. The link above is what I'm thinking for drive. One per side that will have beveled gears attached to get a 90 degree drivetrain. Rpm is 20. Should I be in a higher rpm range? And do you think these motors will be powerful enough? 1:14 scale. This is going to be a working model pushing pretty sandy soil.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
http://www.servocity.com/html/20_rpm...ear_motor.html
Hey guys, got a drivetrain question. The link above is what I'm thinking for drive. One per side that will have beveled gears attached to get a 90 degree drivetrain. Rpm is 20. Should I be in a higher rpm range? And do you think these motors will be powerful enough? 1:14 scale. This is going to be a working model pushing pretty sandy soil.
These are the one's that Greg used on his Cat D8, 28lbs if I remember correctly? http://www.servocity.com/html/25_rpm...gearmotor.html
I bought some for my Cat D4H project.
Cheer's, Neil.