RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:10 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

Much better to see your handy work Cooper!

I aint no puter scholar either, I spent several hrs over a couple wks trying to get my latest printer/scanner to talk wireless with my laptop, ran it out of ink in a couple hrs with all the PDF's that had back up in that time, now I got to track down more ink cartridges... and I just got my 1st smartphone a few days ago, trying to figure out how to do more with it than just make a phone call. Technology forever changing...

Joe
Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

So what kind of dumb phone did you buy?
Cheers, Neil.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Got these motors with a reduction gearbox. These were the alternative to the other bigger higher speed 116rpm motors that would require gearing down. Just got them in mail today and I believe these will be better suited. Will still have to install them off set but direct drive, not having to mess with chain and sprockets.

I pulled the gearboxes apart so I can make new shafts to suit my needs. I'm planning on using a locking pin in the 1/2" shaft with a flange nut on the end to secure the sprocket drive. Bronze bearing in the motor housing but what can I expect for fairly inexpensive motors with gearboxes. The rpm is 23 or 30 I forget without looking but think 23 will be fine. Right??? Not planning on full speed travel often and I always like to keep things like this slow and sturdy.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hey thanks thuangs, no CNC, just hand cranking. A small mill and small lathe.

And just got a 30" brake and shear to possibly do some of the flat metal stuff.
Hopefully these motors hold up. I'm still modifying the other motors I got just in case these don't work.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Set in the hubs or whatever they are, to keep some distance from tracks.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuangs View Post
Hi Cooper, thanks for reply! Sorry, I mean the small mill and small lathe shown in the photo...if you can pm me the brand, that will be very helpful. I've been thinking to buy a good set like yours. It's quite hard to do jobs without right tools.

your doggy is very cute...I have ragdoll cats.

Best regards,
Kevin
These are the two pieces I have. If. I were to get another lathe I would try and get one with a variable speed function. Wouldn't have to change belts in between different operations.

This lathe was the combo unit, I removed the milling attachment when I got the other mill.

And this is the mill I have. Most of my stuff comes from grizzley. I'm about 15 min from the Pennsylvania distribution/show room store. So by not paying for shipping on heavy stuff it is a good purchase for me. Plus if anything breaks I can just drive up and get stuff. One of the best things I purchased was the digital read out for the mill. I'm working on getting one for the lathe, but I have been using a small mag scale for the main lathe operation.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Cooper-dozer is coming along nicely. You mentioned the bushings in the gear-motors. I think you will find that the bushings work better in the dirt than bearings. Dirt getting into bearings is a problem.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

You got a nice start there. I to have the Grizzly GO704 mill but mine is cnc and I also have the Grizzly GO602 lathe that is cnc well almost I got all the parts to do it just as soon as it warms up it to cold in the garage. Keep up the good work. Ed
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

This is shaping up nicely. You will have to bring it down to York in April to show off your progress.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
This is shaping up nicely. You will have to bring it down to York in April to show off your progress.
What and where in April?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

York PA the fair grounds and it called Cabin Fever. Great time and they have an auction and a lot of nice things to buy. You can go on line Cabin Fever.com and see the dates. Ed
Old 01-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well I got talked into going with the wiper motors. More work to install them but they should be able to do a way better job. I got the gearing down to 37rpm with chain and sprockets. They are big! But if I recall someone said for a dozer put the biggest most powerful motors in it you can. Sounds good to me!!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Looking good!
Cheers, Neil.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

Excellent work on the dozer....looks great!!!

I used that type of motor in my D11 dozer and they work well for this type of application....one thing to watch,the little grey bushing (looks like a socket head set screw on the end of the motor output shaft) will be the first thing to wear out.... it acts as the bushing for the worm shaft as well as a way to adjust the end play, it is put in at the factory with lock tite and is impossible to get out without damaging it, if and when it wears out make a replacement from brass or bronze...the grey bushing will last a long long time....but if the motor starts making a strange noise it will most likely be from it being worn out.

Keep up the nice work!!!

KP
Old 02-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

This is just a somewhat protective cover for the sprocket, and it supports the shafts bearing on the final drive sprocket. I'm trying to make this beefy and not sure of what's to come in the future. That's why I've left some of the parts unfinished as I might need some for something els.

Too bad my stupid cat doesn't like it!! He doesn't know but I'm going to run his little puffy tail over!!!

Boy what a P.I.T.A. getting the tracks bolted together. I made a master link similar to cats but I may switch to just a pin. And I need to remove one link. It was very hard for me to precisely measure for how many links and what tension spring, length of track carrage so I just ended up with what it is. Can remove a link and remove some material on carriage if needed. I would like to have as little of the track tensioner shaft out as possible.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Like the kitty picture! LOL! Looking good
Cheers, Neil.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hey Neil, the kitty is my shop apprentice. Lol!!! Don't know why but it would sit on my lap while running any milling op, even the shop vac!!! Until the hose finds his tail!!! .

Anyway, I'm starting into the driveline. I'm not too experienced with chain drives but I am going to incorporate some sort of mechanical tensioner. Also for the way this is set up to get the chain clearance of the motor mounting legs a idler/tensioner will have to be installed.

Hope ya all don't mind, I like lots of pics, love to see what you all have tackled and the process of it. Always a learning curve for me as I've learned a lot in a short time by following several builds from this site!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oh and what a disappointment of the Super Bowl. Go hawks, wife's from sattle. Would have like to had a lot more challenge.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

Love how this build is coming along...those wiper motors should be pretty good and strong...if you geared them down from stock it should be a torque monster!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

They should be running at 37 rpm at full throttle. And I have a saber tooth ??amp duel controller. Going to be using a turnigy/ fly sky 9 channel radio. I forget what amp the esc is off hand but I know I have lots of headroom in the amps dep. the radio, electronics I will be needing lots of help setting that one up. But I do want to incorporate the left/right blade tilt function.