RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My dozer I have been wanting for a while.

I have to laugh a little - Travis, did you not return the McDonald tray, after finishing lunch? The cab seat looks just like a Wedico piece! Maybe Wedico sources those out themselves. Black cab is a nice change.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

buy the looks of Travis i would say they don't mind if he takes a tray now and then as much as hes there

RIP FREDDYGEARDRIVE
Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: My dozer I have been wanting for a while.

Travis the dozer looks good with the black cab but how long is it going to be before we see some paint worn of those cats? Ed
Old 05-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Travis the dozer looks good with the black cab but how long is it going to be before we see some paint worn of those cats? Ed
Look its dirty

Sorry Travis not hijacking your thread thought i would share
Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Sorry Travis not hijacking your thread thought i would share
Not a problem I appreciate you posting the pics.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

Now that I've had my way with it, I have to say the black paint tasted better....
Old 09-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Well I have been having some issues with the drive motors on the dozer. It has the same motors and esc as the track loader which has worked great for many hrs of use now. The dozer had a motor blow up at Indy this year taking the esc with it. I replaced the motor and sent the esc to be replaced. I put my spare esc in and ran the dozer for about an hour no problems. Today I got the dozer out to show tc1cat and pigeonfarmboy the new sound system. We had the dozer on for about 5 min just showing off the sound, I shut the sound off and we were talking and heard a pop and discovered the 2ND motor blew up just sitting there. I have some of the replacement motors coming to put the dozer back in service but it looks like I am going to need a stock pile of them or find a different type of gear motor. It may have just been a fluke with the two motors that came with the dozer but I hope it did not take out my spare esc in the process.

Travis

Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 PM

So the 2nd motor that blew was the one that came with it? thats weird! bad batch maybe?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
So the 2nd motor that blew was the one that came with it? thats weird! bad batch maybe?
Yes it was the remaining original motor. I hope it was just a bad set of motors. They are the same as the ones in my loader as well as thesc and knock on wood it has been trouble free. I guess I will put in the new motors when they get here and see what happens.

Travis

Old 09-01-2012, 11:22 PM

That sucks though either way! What else would cause the motors to blow? too much strain on them?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I have blown a couple motors in my Stahl track hoe this way.. though the model is not moving, the throttle was not perfectly centered and with a wee bit of current applied (not enough to move the track) gets those motors real hot! POP! puff of smoke from a capacitor.

Can't beat these motors for smooth, glitch free power, but you got to set your neutrals correctly within your radio or you'll destroy them.

Given the way the Leimbach esc works, I like the Sabertooth.. much cheaper, simplier set up & simplier to acquire for replacement.. though I can't says that I have ever blown a Sabertooth.

Joe
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Journeyman

He noticed his radio didn't have much deadband/exp programmed if at all so I'd put money on this being the reason.

The DX6i is what's used on the track loader. Check your exp on that radio for a comparison.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Out of control

I did put a motor on the esc just to see what it was doing and found the esc to be way to sensitive almost no dead band so I changed the dead band in the esc its self. I may add some dead band to the throttle and rudder curves as well.

I guess the odd thing is the loader does not have any exp set in the radio or esc, they are both set to linear. I would guess that the DX6I is just not as sensitive as the DX7 or DX8.

Thanks for the info Joe, it definitely sounds like I had better stock up on these motors or find a better replacement.

Travis

Old 09-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Banned

PROBUILDER1964 is on a distinguished road

i never really got into tractors and such....but this one is way to cool ! you said that it is a kit ? does it come with tracks or you going to scratch make your own ? I think I would like one of these....like the other member posted...it would look great on a low boy ! Please keep us posted on your progress....nice piece !
Old 09-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Out of control

It was a complete kit with tracks included, but the company who made it is now out of business. All you needed to finish it was the radio and receiver. I did change out the electronic speed control for one that was better suited to the drive style I wanted. It is done for the most part, I am having some drive motor problems at the moment but I will get it fixed.

The dozer

The dozer with it's own truck and trailer built just to haul it.

Travis

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Journeyman

Uhhh not sure why I didn't think of the obvious while I was there.......get more of those caps.......resolder a new one and test it. (Cheaper than new motors so long as you can find a source for the caps) mouser.com is probably your best bet.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy View Post
Uhhh not sure why I didn't think of the obvious while I was there.......get more of those caps.......resolder a new one and test it. (Cheaper than new motors so long as you can find a source for the caps) mouser.com is probably your best bet.
Ya I didn't think of that either but the new motors should be here this week. Dimension sent my esc back and said it was fine but if I still had issues to give them a call.

Travis

Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM

calm n sedated is on a distinguished road

Travis, if you ever need another set of those rb35 gearmotors let me know. I will probably never use the original ones that came with dozer. Later, Greg
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Out of control

Thanks Greg and yes I wouldn't mind having a spare set.

Travis

Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Out of control

The dozer is back up and running and so far so good. I put the esc in exponential mode and and added expo to the radio as well. The dozer is a lot less responsive set up this way but it is better than blowing motors. I also put more slack in the tracks as they may have been a little to tight. If the track were this loose in a real one you would cause some serious damage but what works in the 1:1 doesn't always work in scale.

The hood is made up of two pieces an L shaped piece that makes up the fire wall and a plate for the U shaped hood sides and top to mount too. The hood top has a hole pattern in it to mimic venting panels so when the two pieces are put together the holes get blocked off. So I took apart the hood and milled out the lower part of the top panel so the holes are now open. This does two things for me it allows the dozer to have air flow through the grill and out the hood. It also allowed me to mount my speaker for the Servonaut SMT under the hood and project the sound out of the holes. The sound system is a lot louder now and sounds so much better.

In this pic you can see the holes in the top of the hood and instead of drilling all of those holes in the lower piece I just separated them and milled out where the holes were. Nate suggested this and it was a darn good suggestion, thanks Nate.

Travis