RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 03-07-2016, 07:04 PM

Jamithan04 is on a distinguished road
Default Trailer build questions

Hey all, I don't mean to be a bother to anyone but I am very new to scratch building. I have just gotten a grand hauler and about 1/3 way done building it and I'm in need of a trailer. Wanting to start with something fairly simple so was thinking a flatbed. But I am at a loss on where to start, what should I get first, how do I figure the measurements for the mounting hardware for axels and suspension, what pieces should I get first. I am also somewhat of an ocd perfectionist. And I feel like I need to have everything at once so that mean I need to buy everything, well funds do not permit that. So I am reaching out to all seasoned builders, both kit and scratch and was hoping you guys could help me with this build. I appreciate everyone's time thanks
Old 03-07-2016, 07:14 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Trailer build questions

Buy a tamiya flat bed then go to you local hard ware store and get some L shape angle for the chassis rails and right angle and flat sheet for the bed, and just transfer the lines and holes to the new L angle and right angle , that way you can make it longer without guessing were that holes go.

cheers tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossett View Post
Buy a tamiya flat bed then go to you local hard ware store and get some L shape angle for the chassis rails and right angle and flat sheet for the bed, and just transfer the lines and holes to the new L angle and right angle , that way you can make it longer without guessing were that holes go.

cheers tracy

I 2nd that, for your first trailer this will be the best way to get an extened trailer without spending a fortune and it will be a good build to learn from. Cutting the rails is easy all you will need is a hack saw, file and drill. Mark the new rails cut them out close with the hack saw drill the new holes and bolt them togethe. Then just file to the lines. If you have an electric hand sander it is a good way to clean up the rails when done.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-08-2016, 08:57 AM

You guys are awesome, thanks so much
Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 AM

I do have another question, I seen the thread of favorite links to purchase stuff from, do you guys have any as far as getting the flat bed kit from and or other parts. I live in the US. Not really familiar with the sites that have their prices in their currency, any ideas on how that works
Old 03-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

The best place I've found in the states for kits would be Tower Hobbies. If you plan on being in this hobby or any RC hobby for a while check out their club member ship its half price right now and you get free shipping option and deals all the time. I've shopped this stuff for a lot of years and haven't found any one cheaper on the big stuff on a regular basis, you might find a deal once in a while on ebay or amazon but usually not when you want it, but it never hurts to check.
As far as the aluminum Cossett and fhhhstix referred to, if you have a Menards near you they will have it. Ace hardware or any large hardware store now days has it.