RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road
Default 4200XL replacement ESC's recommendations?

Suppose I was pushing it a bit running the 4200 on a hot day with high humidity, got through most a battery and noticed some smoke coming out of the components bay. All 3 ESC's had blinking red lights and the pump ESC no longer came on after I initially turned it off. Going to see if the magical "let them cool off" period does anything but in the mean time can anyone suggest
some nice replacements. Figure I'm in there might as well get rid of the stock crap. Plus side was the 6 yr old got some stick time!!
Old 08-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 4200XL replacement ESC's recommendations?

Got into it a bit and ESC's all still blinking red and no response on any functions. Pump motor, tracks, servo's, lights, all a no go. Guess I could of blown the RX? I'll need some bench time to change out to a different RX to see if I can just get servo's operating and go from there.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Apprentice

Well after gettnig the kiddies to bed got out to the shop to do some trouble shooting. After thinking about the RX I wondered if a servo had burnt up so checked the servo's with a stand by RX. Ch 3 bucket servo had no response, took it out and for sure it burnt up. Will replace with a Hitec I have laying around. Would still like to know any suggestions on ESC's if anyone has them.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:23 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Sabertooth 2x12 for the tracks
E-Flite for the pump... I use a 30amp in my JD850, but this retarded china setup with its excessively large motor running at 20% it's so retarded I don't know what amp to suggest... I think what's in there is 125amp & it still blows up

china electronics are crap, no thermal protection, which I guess is why they're so cheap. You're lucky it didn't start on fire.

I use a Sabertooth on the swing motor too, it's the smoothest esc I've used to date. The 2x25 is smoother yet & more precise than the 2x12.

I put quality before price... I'm sure others will chime in with cheaper alternatives that'll get you by.

Joe
Old 08-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Giants. I'm a little familiar with sabertooth products. Will look into them down the road. Like the idea of the 2X25 and eliminating one of the track ESC's at the start. Is there a wiring diagram on wiring the 2x25 to the RX? I see the diagram with the S1 and S2 references as well as the dip switch settings but no real diagram on actual
RX wiring.

EDIT: Found the wiring diagram and pics.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 08-11-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:35 PM

alaskantoy is on a distinguished road

Hey Benny, what did you ultimately choose to run and how did you like it compared two two esc's?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:23 PM
Apprentice

I went with the 2X25 dual drive sabertooth. Only issue I had was to fit the sabertooth flush and level in the electronics bay I had to machine some material out of the bulkhead
nearest the main boom to allow the width of the sabertooth. Other than that, it was plug and play and working great.