RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from Austin, Texas, USA!

Hey folks,

Thanks for having me! My name is Tommy and I'm a mechanical engineer living in Austin, TX. I got into RC in the early '80s and raced from the late '80s 'til the mid '90s when I graduated from college (LSU). I took a hitaus from RC for about14 years, but got back into it in '08 when my buddy showed me an Axial crawler. It's been downhill from there!

Since then I've built loads of crawlers....all scale, of course! I'm all about the realism. I also race and drift my RCs. It's still one of my favorite hobbies and has been with me the longest.

But I've always love big trucks. And I love large multi-axle rigs. I've been wanting to build an 8x8 trials style MAN for years, but the closest I ever came was an RC4WD Beast II. It was cool, but just didn't do it for me. Now I've been sucked into watching all these amazing youtube videos of these semi trucks in Europe and it has me wanting to build one pretty badly! Not sure what it would be, but given my offroading background, it would likely be a 6x6 or possibly an 8x8 based on a Scania R620 or something similar. Maybe a 5th wheel for towing? Or maybe a flatbed for hauling? Undecided for now...

I guess only rear wheel drive trucks are readily available from Tamiya? For those of you will AWD trucks, are they all just custom builds? Custom work isn't a problem, I'm just curious what my options are.

Anyway, thanks for having me and I look forward to learning a lot more about big little trucks!

Tommy

P.S. Here's some stuff I've built:

Old 12-09-2016, 06:13 PM

Mech_Eng is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello from Austin, Texas, USA!

Welcome! I am a mechanical engineer in Corpus Christi. Your previous builds look nice and your skills should suite you well for a semi. Most all awd semis are converted with aftermarket parts. There is lots of great info on this site, happy surfing!