RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:24 AM

SteveDownSouth is on a distinguished road
Default Topcad replacement front axles

I'm looking at getting a set of these to kill a few bird with one stone, so to speak. Does anyone have any installed and do they reduce or eliminate the play in the standard Tamiya axles?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Topcad replacement front axles

I have been building my truck without actually buying a kit, was going for AWD but didn't get it done. When I gave up on a driven axle I bought an Integy front beam axle kit, comes with everything and because I didn't buy a truck kit I needed everything. I'm happy with it but I can't say that is it soooo much better than having a Tamiya axle, it's just a little more pretty.

Also check out Bo's front axle mod.

http://rctruckandconstruction.com/sh...ad.php?t=12133
Old 01-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDownSouth View Post
I'm looking at getting a set of these to kill a few bird with one stone, so to speak. Does anyone have any installed and do they reduce or eliminate the play in the standard Tamiya axles?
Wow, I was not paying attention at all, you're talking about your rear axles aren't yo? Sorry about that.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 AM

No, you're exactly right, it was the front axle I have a real problem with. It's so unbelievably sloppy. I need a solution so I can fix it, but I'm pretty new to this. Thanks
Old 01-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, you're exactly right, it was the front axle I have a real problem with. It's so unbelievably sloppy. I need a solution so I can fix it, but I'm pretty new to this. Thanks
All my trucks are that way....from start. Here is a few mods to do.
1. the rod ends from servo and the parallel rod between the hubs need to be. http://store.rc4wd.com/M3-Offset-Sho..._p_1741.htmlOr better.
The play in the axle assembly does not matter at all when you drive the truck.
It just feel bad when you put it together.....(i hate play in joints too)
Next is to increase the Caster angle a bit. that make the truck to want travel straight. This is the extreme way to do that ;o)[IMG]DSC_2299 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-09-2017, 11:25 AM

That's very interesting Bo, thank you.

As you have one of these, do you find the suspension very stiff? For example, if one front wheel runs over something about 7mm or so, the rear wheel on the same side lifts up. These are very light models in relation to the strength of the leaf spring, so I was thinking of taking out a leaf to soften them a bit. Have you tried this?

I don't plan on hauling or carrying heavy loads, so I don't need such strong springs.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Topcad replacement front axles

Quote:
That's very interesting Bo, thank you.

As you have one of these, do you find the suspension very stiff? For example, if one front wheel runs over something about 7mm or so, the rear wheel on the same side lifts up. These are very light models in relation to the strength of the leaf spring, so I was thinking of taking out a leaf to soften them a bit. Have you tried this?

I don't plan on hauling or carrying heavy loads, so I don't need such strong springs.
Yes i got a few aftermarket Axles. The only reason to have those was i believed they was much better. The aluminum Knuckle is good thing, the rest is not better. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLOY-ALUMIN...99XVS61TZ6TzAQ
Like this a few $ cheaper. The springs i don't pull apart most of them has a rivet holding them together, and if you remove blades the u bolt get kind of too long.
So i cut the blade off in front of axle, with a Dremel just two strokes and then bed it off. Start with one. if needed cut next behind the axle.that way i've don it and it improve a lot. The weight is a problem... way too light should be 10 KG or 22LBS for a truck think.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Great, thanks Bo.